PDA

View Full Version : Need help with weight loss stall.. Please

dale1776
04-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Hello. I have not posted here before, but I respect the fact this site has answered so many of my questions from looking at others posts. My problem is that my weight loss has stalled over the last two months. Here is some information on me. I am a 37 year old man. I was overweight my entire life and as of last April I weighed 302 pounds at 5' 6". I sit at desk all day. Anyway I decided to change my life and over the last year I have lost 121 pounds. I do P90x 6 days a week and since the day i started last April. I eat 1700 calories a day. I have only take 5 days in past year and ate above my calories. I weigh all my food with a scale and am very meticulous about it. I also log everything into my fitness pal and have since october. As of recently I have started changing around my food to eat different ratios of different things. I have been making some reciepes that I have found on here, but up intil about 3 weeks ago I was very strict about exactly what foods I ate. Example is Meal replacement at 5 am then workout followed by post workout shake ( muscle pharm combat powder) with 1 scoop creatine and powder vitamins (orange triad + greens). Then snack at 1030 (fat free greek yogurt 8 0z and 1 cup frozen fruit) Lunch at 1 which is usually 4.5 oz cooked boneless skinless chicken breast and 1.5 cup broc**** or spinach. Snack at 4 pm which is usually quest bar with 2 tablespoon natural peanut butter and dinner around 730 which is same as lunch typically or tuna fish or tailapia. Snack before bed is protein shake or low fat cottage cheese. That is my usual day. Macros are roughly 200 protein 130 carb and 50 fat equaling around 1700 to 1750 calories. I wear a heart rate monitor when I exercise and says I burn around 300 cals on weight lifting days and up to 700 on plyometrics ones. I have never eaten into my workout calories. My new scale says I am currently 178 lbs 28.0 bmi 17.2 body fat 40.4 muscle 1790 resting meta rate and visceral fat 10. I know that most of those are just rough approximations and I dont pay too much attention to them. I have increased strength training to 4 days a week and have made good strength gains throughout the entire process and even finally starting to get some definition in my back. My goals are to get my body fat lower and start adding some muscle. I dont want to ever just be thin. I want a good body build. I guess my question is am I doing everything right or should I make some changes? Some people say to lower my calories even more and some tell me to too add more to feed my muscle I am getting in place of the fat I am losing. Should I start eating into my workout calories? Please help. I respect everyones opinion!!

ironwill2008
04-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Hello. I have not posted here before, but I respect the fact this site has answered so many of my questions from looking at others posts. My problem is that my weight loss has stalled over the last two months. Here is some information on me. I am a 37 year old man. I was overweight my entire life and as of last April I weighed 302 pounds at 5' 6". I sit at desk all day. Anyway I decided to change my life and over the last year I have lost 121 pounds. I do P90x 6 days a week and since the day i started last April. I eat 1700 calories a day. I have only take 5 days in past year and ate above my calories. I weigh all my food with a scale and am very meticulous about it. I also log everything into my fitness pal and have since october. As of recently I have started changing around my food to eat different ratios of different things. I have been making some reciepes that I have found on here, but up intil about 3 weeks ago I was very strict about exactly what foods I ate. Example is Meal replacement at 5 am then workout followed by post workout shake ( muscle pharm combat powder) with 1 scoop creatine and powder vitamins (orange triad + greens). Then snack at 1030 (fat free greek yogurt 8 0z and 1 cup frozen fruit) Lunch at 1 which is usually 4.5 oz cooked boneless skinless chicken breast and 1.5 cup broc**** or spinach. Snack at 4 pm which is usually quest bar with 2 tablespoon natural peanut butter and dinner around 730 which is same as lunch typically or tuna fish or tailapia. Snack before bed is protein shake or low fat cottage cheese. That is my usual day. Macros are roughly 200 protein 130 carb and 50 fat equaling around 1700 to 1750 calories. I wear a heart rate monitor when I exercise and says I burn around 300 cals on weight lifting days and up to 700 on plyometrics ones. I have never eaten into my workout calories. My new scale says I am currently 178 lbs 28.0 bmi 17.2 body fat 40.4 muscle 1790 resting meta rate and visceral fat 10. I know that most of those are just rough approximations and I dont pay too much attention to them. I have increased strength training to 4 days a week and have made good strength gains throughout the entire process and even finally starting to get some definition in my back. My goals are to get my body fat lower and start adding some muscle. I dont want to ever just be thin. I want a good body build. I guess my question is am I doing everything right or should I make some changes? Some people say to lower my calories even more and some tell me to too add more to feed my muscle I am getting in place of the fat I am losing. Should I start eating into my workout calories? Please help. I respect everyones opinion!!

P90x is a weight loss/cardio program. If your new goal is to now build muscle, you will need to drastically change your training.

EjnarKolinkar
04-22-2014, 06:32 PM
The use of the return key every 100 words or so will increase your readership OP.

Cruise the sticky topics in all the major forums, particularly the workout and exercise forums. Lots of info there. Usually if I am not losing weight, I am eating too much. Good luck.

mcbourque
04-22-2014, 07:31 PM
Congrats on your great weight loss and dedication! That's awesome!

First off, I think eating 1700 cal is probably too low for you and I would definitely not go lower. (fitnesspal is terrible at estimating calorie requirements)

It might be a good idea to slowly increase your calories to maintenance calories
See these links:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183
Or
http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

And continue on your weight lifting program while maintaining your weight for a bit at higher calories.
(1700 is even too low for me :) )

Then decide if you want up lose fat or build muscle and use a strategy like this one:

1. Eat at a deficit (fat loss) or surplus (muscle gain) of 10-15% of your maintenance calories by recording everything you eat which should be a variety of food you enjoy. Whole food is better for your overall health. Meal timing makes no difference.

2. Full body workout 3 x a week. All pro is a good beginner one. Link here courtesy of Kimm4:
http://simplebeginnerroutine.wikia.com/wiki/All_Pro%27s_Simple_Beginner_Routine_Wiki

3. Keep tracking your food (weighting the food is better) and your body measurements and be very very patient (which I think you are :)). Do not substract your exercise calories in your daily total - it's already calculated in your maintenance.

4. Start tracking your protein(about 0.8g per body weight in pound) and fat(about 0.45g per body weight in pounds). For the rest of calories use a combo of carb, fat and protein as you want.

And like they said, stick around, you will learn a lot.

(Nice family avi BTW :))

dale1776
04-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Thank you all very much for your responses and your help. I will search the forums on here alot more. I appreciate all of your help!!