PDA

View Full Version : Tech brahs - help someone out trying to pick out a laptop for grad school.

jeff_vangundy
04-22-2014, 10:21 AM
First off i'm pretty into computers and always have been. My current laptop is a macbook pro and i've been using apple products since like 2002 off and on (had a dell xps laptop and some compaq one). Used to be into computer gaming, but not anymore

Dad has a lenovo t440 for work. it's nice and i like office and shyt on a pc much more than on a mac. i can get a comparable lenovo for like 1500 compared to like 2200 for a mbp. I don't want something with a crazy graphics card or fans that go on and off all the time. One pro about the new macbook pros is they come with like a 500gb solid state drive and their displays >>> a pc. also, ive never gotten a virus on a pc, but i don't necessary like the bogged down performance of when an anti-virus software is installed

I really want to get a pc and arguably I can get one with better components in a lenovo. I liked my dads t440, but the only thing is windows 8 absolutely sucks. My gf had it on her computer and I hate the tiles. I think this is honestly a deal breaker for me. The annoyance factor of booting up to some tiles every day might be enough to get a macbook. also, i do not want to get windows 7 on a new machine (ill be outve date alrady). apple also allows free upgrades of OS's now which is nice. any thoughts?

Snafu1
04-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Not had time to read and understand properly, but it appears your problem could be eradicated by simply formatting the laptop upon arrival with 7/xp ( I hate 8 also)

jeff_vangundy
04-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Not had time to read and understand properly, but it appears your problem could be eradicated by simply formatting the laptop upon arrival with 7/xp ( I hate 8 also)

honestly wish microsoft would just copy 7 and add some elements from osx to the home screen, but oh well

jerzyfit
04-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Well if you buy a new laptop you have to make sure you can find the drivers for another operating system. For instance if its a Lenovo and it comes with 8 but its a new model that model may not have an option to get windows 7 or windows whatever drivers. I personally have two lenovo laptops. One for work (I'm a Jr. IT Admin) which is the Lenovo X1 carbon and I love it. My home one is the Lenovo P400 wit the I7 and 8 gigs of ram. I like both and I think Lenovo is reputable.

Kawasaki67
04-22-2014, 10:33 AM
If you are remotely tech savy you could get a decent PC for 1/100000000 th the price of a Mac and through Ubuntu or some other Os on there.

Big_Spaz
04-22-2014, 10:50 AM
I personally have an HP EliteBook 850 and absolutely love it! But like others said, the OS is key. I personally like 7 because it has been proven to be the most stable, and backwards compatible, for me so far.

-Spaz