PDA

View Full Version : Lettuce be honest...

ichthis
04-20-2014, 07:12 PM
We are in a horrible dry spell right now on the video game front (and the math and physics fronts too. and the car fronts too). Sometimes I even have a hard time trying to envision why I bother staying up to date on all the developments in science, gaming, tech, and so on. Can the Misc inspire me??? wat do???

Nakmuay87
04-20-2014, 07:39 PM
fap?

SeanBrah56
04-20-2014, 08:57 PM
We are in a horrible dry spell right now on the video game front (and the math and physics fronts too. and the car fronts too). Sometimes I even have a hard time trying to envision why I bother staying up to date on all the developments in science, gaming, tech, and so on. Can the Misc inspire me??? wat do???

I agree with you halfway on the gaming bit, but I think that's more about gaming developers being pushed by publishing companies to churn out games for max profit.

But if you think that technology, science, and gaming/graphics engines havent massively improved, you haven't been paying attention to the advancements made in the past decade, let alone the last few years.

Ten years ago (2004), we had graphics like this...

Doom 3 was probably among the prettiest games out in 2004
http://www.doom4portal.com/media/blogs/doom4/doom_8.jpg?mtime=1326120680

Now, we have graphics like this...
http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2013/06/The-Witcher-3-Leshen.jpg

The fastest general consumption processor in 2004 was the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, running at 3.46 Ghz on 1 (2 logical) core(s).
The fastest general consumption processor now is probably the Intel i7 4960x, running at 3.6 Ghz on 6 (12 logical) cores.

The development of fully functional prosthetic limbs is underway in order to give amputees back some of their lost capacity.
We're developing prosthetic eyes that may give back sight to those who have lost their vision.

The Large Hadron Collider has given us insight into the fields of quantum physics and perhaps even the origins of the universe itself.

Internet speed has exploded, I remember when DSL at not even a Megabit was considered fast. Now we have fiber that can transmit data at tens of Gigabits per second.

This aforementioned speed has changed the way we watch shows, get our news, communicate with each other, and many other things.

You can now video chat, with little to no lag, with a relative clear across the planet, in a matter of seconds. You can actually see and talk to someone, as if they were really there.

The average person's phone is a GPS unit, music player, video player, calendar, stopwatch, alarm clock, light gaming platform, telephone, light use computer, calculator, flashlight, etc. all combined into a device that can fit into the palm of your hand. Which is hundreds of times more powerful than the technology and supercomputers used to send us to the Moon in 1969.

In 2004, the vogue phone was a Razor.

We get caught up in the rapid advance of technology due to advertising and all the tech expos. You only have to look back a little bit in order to see how far we've come in the last 10 years. This is probably one of the most interesting times in the history of the planet to be alive, technologically speaking. I cant imagine what the next ten years holds in store.

Dont lose hope, brah. Science is awesome.