PDA

View Full Version : Can You Have One Horrendous Cheat Day Per Month?

michaelproject
04-20-2014, 07:10 PM
By horrendous I mean 3000 calories of mostly carbs & sugar. Such as 2000 calories of Easter candy + cake (whoops) + quality roasts. I still ate probably 90+ grams of protein.

I've heard of cheat weeks where guys eat chit for an entire week. While I think cheats are better in moderation, indulging makes a holiday that much better since I was used to it as a 220-pound teen.

Can you have an absolutely horrendous chest day or two each month without it affecting your progress? My cut has been chit but that was expected lol.

zeaview
04-20-2014, 07:14 PM
A 3,000 calorie cheat day isn't bad at all. You might have lost like 1/4-1/2 a day of work, if even.

What are your stats? Maintenance calories, cutting target, etc?

MalarsPlace
04-20-2014, 07:14 PM
By horrendous I mean 3000 calories of mostly carbs & sugar. Such as 2000 calories of Easter candy + cake (whoops) + quality roasts. I still ate probably 90+ grams of protein.

I've heard of cheat weeks where guys eat chit for an entire week. While I think cheats are better in moderation, indulging makes a holiday that much better since I was used to it as a 220-pound teen.

Can you have an absolutely horrendous chest day or two each month without it affecting your progress? My cut has been chit but that was expected lol.

IMO, no. It undoes days/weeks of progress. Just get back on track the next day if youre serious about cutting and just don't sweat it because its already in your body.

wheels30
04-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Lol you can do whatever the hell you want! I'd recommend it actually that is unless your getting ready for a show.

unstrong
04-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Just get back on track the next day and don't sweat it because its already in your body.
Fixed that for you. Wish BB.com had strikethrough feature.

What are your maintenance calories? Probably not too much lower than 3000. One day of not meeting nutrient sufficiency is not going to hurt you, particularly since it is related to a holiday and not a larger trend. Think of it as a glorious refeed.

sevenhm
04-20-2014, 07:24 PM

Obviously you can.. is it effective? depends. If you have no restriction and you just go crazy and guesstimate probably wont result that well. But think of it this way if in a period of 100 days you ate 250000 total calories and you ate 5k calories one day that means you increase your daily intake by 50 calories throughout those 100 days. What I'm saying is it depends on how much you long you diet and how excessive your cheat meal/day is. But in the grand scheme of things if its planned and controlled to an extent it wont make that big of a dent on your progress.

michaelproject
04-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Lol you can do whatever the hell you want! I'd recommend it actually that is unless your getting ready for a show.

I'm not in great shape anymore after a break from the gym from the gym but when/if I reach your level wouldn't 2000 calories of sugar in one day affect you? Don't you personally have to be restrictive about cheats to maintain?

michaelproject
04-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Fixed that for you. Wish BB.com had strikethrough feature.

What are your maintenance calories? Probably not too much lower than 3000. One day of not meeting nutrient sufficiency is not going to hurt you, particularly since it is related to a holiday and not a larger trend. Think of it as a glorious refeed.

I haven't weight trained for two months so I'll just say the basic 1800... I want to clean eat a lot better this time when I restart though.

unstrong
04-20-2014, 08:03 PM
I haven't weight trained for two months so I'll just say the basic 1800... I want to clean eat a lot better this time when I restart though.

You seem very confused about nutrition. The sticky threads in this subforum are a good place to start remedying that problem.

esheg
04-20-2014, 08:36 PM
IMO, no. It undoes days/weeks of progress. Just get back on track the next day if youre serious about cutting and just don't sweat it because its already in your body.

I just had a cheat day today...it was big and I dont know how many calories I had but right now my stomach hurts...its not going to undo weeks of progress. At most 4 days and I will be back to normal. In fact I did this last month and I still dropped weight the week after. Once a month I strongly recommend doing this. It keep u sane. When i have these days though I make sure its a holiday or some party.

ErikTheElectric
04-20-2014, 10:41 PM
I just don't understand why people do this to themselves...is all of the bloating, water weight, guilt, etc REALLY worth stuffing yourself for a few hours?

*shrug*

Mrpb
04-21-2014, 12:37 AM

Eating clean is a myth.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/research-review-the-dirt-on-clean-eating-written-by-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon.html

I just don't understand why people do this to themselves...is all of the bloating, water weight, guilt, etc REALLY worth stuffing yourself for a few hours?

It's because they've restrained themselves trying to eat "clean", whatever that may mean. The natural reaction to restrain is indulgement.

Mncdk
04-21-2014, 04:57 AM
I just don't understand why people do this to themselves...is all of the bloating, water weight, guilt, etc REALLY worth stuffing yourself for a few hours?Minus the guilt, then OH GOD YES. If it's not a conscious & calculated decision, then it's not really a cheat day (imo). More like a binge.

Imagine all the things that has ever tasted good, and stuff them into one big frenzy. Ignore the water weight and the bloating, that's tomorrows you's problem. :D
Besides, even a big cheat day only takes a week to sort out, and sometimes you just need a sanity-injection.

I was at a party recently where I... partook.
13-14 hours of food and alcohol, and I was below my last pre-party weigh-in on the 4th or 5th day after. It's really not a big deal imo. Then again, it's not something I'd do too often. I enjoy seeing results, and having to shed a party for 4-5 days isn't helping in that regard.

n0useforaname
04-21-2014, 05:18 AM

It's because they've restrained themselves trying to eat "clean", whatever that may mean. The natural reaction to restrain is indulgement.

Actually, it's not like that for everyone. On the daily I eat pretty much what I want.. I don't restrict foods, I eat ice cream, cookies, chocolate, cereal, toppings, pizza, etc.. and I cut at 2500-2600 cals, so I'm filling myself up pretty good. BUT.. me growing up as a big eater.. I can understand what OP means about the holidays being that much better due to stuffing your face.. and for me (sadly) sitting on a couch with a bloated stomach and feeling full to the brim is a fantastic feeling. I grew up in a family where left-overs was not an option.. if you could burp and eat more, you did. Now my mom always made home-made food, veggies, meats, etc.. so it was mostly whole foods, but we still ate like beasts. Now after about 25 years of that behavior, it's a habit that hasn't gone away for me yet.. no matter what I do. Just yesterday I fasted until 5-6ish.. and then I pounded a 2LB salad down, along with half a pound of mixed veggies, popcorn, and an entire protein fluff. Then I snacked on Quakers Popped, marshmallows, 3 diet sodas, and a bagel. Not even 2 hours later I ate another 1.5LBs of eggs/beef/veggies/cheese mixed in a bowl, then a wrap with 1/2 LB cottage cheese and 4oz chicken on it, then another bagel covered in PB/Nutella and choc almond milk. After ALL that.. I was still itching to eat more, but I just went to bed. To me, a good friday night is sitting on the couch, watching a movie, and eating an entire pizza to myself along with 8 breadsticks, mozz sticks, a cup of ranch and some soda. So far in my life, coming here has helped me a lot as for the first time in 28 years I actually stopped myself from gaining past 194ish.. normally I would hit 220 :( And before anyone says "wheres the fats" my salad had nuts, I ate lots of PB/nutella, cheese, cottage cheese, fat in beef, eggs, and olive oil :)

Former Fatty pics:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm133/n0useforaname/final%20weight/DSC_0295_zps2d0fca68.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm133/n0useforaname/final%20weight/DSC_0297_zps9e0e7fa4.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm133/n0useforaname/final%20weight/DSC_0296_zpse93f0c40.jpg