PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Question

paolo59
04-19-2014, 03:21 PM
I've got a couple of really nice 3x5 wool rugs. Southwestern Navajo style designs. They're not really thick, but they're pretty heavy. I've 'googled' and found a couple of techniques for cleaning, but does anyone know if you could just put one in a big, commercial washer like they have at some laundries and have at it? It's a strange question I guess. But I've done some Spring cleaning this afternoon, thrown out tons of stuff, rearranged, and I need to clean a couple of rugs. Ha! I don't know. Dry, they easily weigh 8 or 10 pounds each. Any thoughts? I don't want to burn up a commercial washer and have the owner of the laundry mat chasing me out the door! :(

mcbourque
04-19-2014, 05:08 PM
I think your best bet is to wash them in the bath with a mild cleanser - dry flat, outside if possible. Problem with the washer is that the spinning could damage them.
Dry cleaning is terrible on wool so it's best to go it yourself.

kimm4
04-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Most people hire professional steam cleaners to come out and do them.

If not, I suggest taking them outdoors to wash. Cool water, mild dish soap and a sponge mop to slightly scrub. Use a garden hose to rinse and hang them outdoors to dry.

paolo59
04-19-2014, 05:17 PM
I appreciate the responses. I figured perhaps something like woolite. Nothing really strong in a detergent. I live in an apartment complex, no water hose access outside. They're a bit large for the bathtub. There is a carwash just around the corner though. Ha! I might could clean them pretty good there with a spray washer. I know you can't dry them in the dryer! LOL

NorwichGrad
04-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Daggone it, Paolo! I got all excited cuz I thought you were talkin' 'bout cleaning and jerking.. ;)

Carry on..

paolo59
04-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Daggone it, Paolo! I got all excited cuz I thought you were talkin' 'bout cleaning and jerking.. ;)

Carry on..

LOL I'm getting old brother. I don't do much of that 'Olympic lift' stuff anymore! :) This old body just doesn't respond the way it once did. :) Now, a couple of old rugs to be cleaned...I might just clean and jerk the sorry suckers all over the car wash around the corner! Got to 'save a buck!' I'll throw my back out trying to do that! LMAO