PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ground Troops Going to Poland

so-tex
04-19-2014, 11:53 AM
Thoughts?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2014/04/18/u-s-ground-troops-going-to-poland-defense-minister-says//?print=1

Nikonguy
04-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Makes sense.

"The 46-year-old [Polish defense] minister mused that until recently NATO was wondering what mission it would have, if any, once its troops came home from Afghanistan."

“Now we have an answer to that question,” he said.

LOL

djflex
04-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Its not a great sign. Its hitting the fan

SP1966
04-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Russia wants their Black Sea base back no strings attached, they're not trying to rebuild the old Soviet empire. IMO the troops aren't needed in Poland but there's no harm in making a show of force given there're no Russians amassed on the border. It allows Obumbles to flex his punycepts!

so-tex
04-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Its not a great sign. Its hitting the fanI have to agree with you here.

Russia wants their Black Sea base back no strings attached, they're not trying to rebuild the old Soviet empire. IMO the troops aren't needed in Poland but there's no harm in making a show of force given there're no Russians amassed on the border. It allows Obumbles to flex his punycepts!Pretty much nailed it here. It's no secret the Russians want the Black Sea. It makes sense. I'm not so sure that they aren't trying to rebuild the old empire though.

djflex
04-19-2014, 12:55 PM
I have to agree with you here.

Pretty much nailed it here. It's no secret the Russians want the Black Sea. It makes sense. I'm not so sure that they aren't trying to rebuild the old empire though.

I agree...
They are rebuilding. Why wouldnt they?

Quite frankly we were safer with them as another superpower than all these little terrorist countries acting like warlords

MartinMaggie
04-19-2014, 01:29 PM
I cant know how much average american cares about Poland (or Baltics or Estonia or Ukraine), but I sure appreciate U.S. troops near me. Even as far as in Poland.
**** that comes from Putin's side, cannot be underestimated. These bastards took life of my grandfathers brother, my grandpa had to escape train to Siberia, froze off his legs in forest, to witness later how hes property was taken and given to some communist. They actually hauled half of his house to another village, grandpa showed it to me, where to.

I say thanks to those troops. I hope it never escalates, but thanks to them I have fighting chance.

EDIT:
Not only US troops. All NATO troops, danes, norwegians, britts, all of them. Thanks to all of them.

TnRob
04-19-2014, 01:43 PM
After all the threats of economic sanctions, etc made by leaders of different countries, Putin is doing exactly what Putin wants to do with no regard of whatever threats are made against him or his country. SHTF? ...oh heck yeah, definitely. At some point somebodys gonna set the torch to the woodpile. It's coming sooner or later, or maybe sooner rather than later.

NorwichGrad
04-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Its not a great sign. Its hitting the fan

Agreed 100%.. When I read the headline before clicking the link, my brain said, "Ho-lee sheeeeet."

Russia wants their Black Sea base back no strings attached, they're not trying to rebuild the old Soviet empire. IMO the troops aren't needed in Poland but there's no harm in making a show of force given there're no Russians amassed on the border. It allows Obumbles to flex his punycepts!

Agreed. Russia built Sevastopol.. The good thing (if you want to be optimistic) is that the Black Sea is nothing but a big ass lake.. Russian sailors still have to go through Istanbul, Turkey (a NATO ally) if they want to go into the big wide world. Regardless, having Russian presence in the Black Sea could still pose 'regional strategic reach' should SHTF.

I think Putin is a smart guy. He prolly wants to build an empire, but I doubt it will be commie-based. He knows that communism failed, so whatever empire he wants to build Russia into, it might be based on other ideals.

Like I said in another thread, whatever goes thru Putin's head, only Putin knows. But we could all agree on one thing for sure: President Putin DOES NOT fear the messiah.. LOL...

Fishman15
04-19-2014, 02:18 PM
It's ok, I feel safe with the "community organizer" in charge. God help us...

Brackneyc
04-19-2014, 03:14 PM
We will have to wait and see what SNL does with it tonight.

DCSpartan
04-19-2014, 06:35 PM
I think any servicemember would want to be stationed in Europe with the Poles then in some Middle Eastern country where 80% of the country wouldnt mind seeing you get blown up in a AQ IED attack.

jeffaus
04-19-2014, 06:43 PM
After being in the middle east, Im sure Poland will be like R&R to these troops.

Brackneyc
04-19-2014, 06:57 PM
I think any servicemember would want to be stationed in Europe with the Poles then in some Middle Eastern country where 80% of the country wouldnt mind seeing you get blown up in a AQ IED attack.

What is to say they won't use the same tactics in Europe.

Dave1958
04-19-2014, 07:03 PM
I have to agree with you here.

Pretty much nailed it here. It's no secret the Russians want the Black Sea. It makes sense. I'm not so sure that they aren't trying to rebuild the old empire though.

I agree we don't know what their intentions are. But we don't want to go to war with Russia. We don't have land forces in US or NATO to stop them if they turn west. Our only deterrent is nuclear, and that would be that

pvsampson
04-19-2014, 07:15 PM
I cant know how much average american cares about Poland (or Baltics or Estonia or Ukraine), but I sure appreciate U.S. troops near me. Even as far as in Poland.
**** that comes from Putin's side, cannot be underestimated. These bastards took life of my grandfathers brother, my grandpa had to escape train to Siberia, froze off his legs in forest, to witness later how hes property was taken and given to some communist. They actually hauled half of his house to another village, grandpa showed it to me, where to.

I say thanks to those troops. I hope it never escalates, but thanks to them I have fighting chance.

EDIT:
Not only US troops. All NATO troops, danes, norwegians, britts, all of them. Thanks to all of them.

Good luck and hope you stay safe,Martin.

Brackneyc
04-19-2014, 07:15 PM
I agree we don't know what their intentions are. But we don't want to go to war with Russia. We don't have land forces in US or NATO to stop them if they turn west. Our only deterrent is nuclear, and that would be that

I watched War Games last night. Seems relevant.

eomrat
04-19-2014, 07:20 PM
After being in the middle east, Im sure Poland will be like R&R to these troops.

Favorable exchange rate, beautiful woman, great chow, the people love Americans, No sand storms, the people bathe regularly, no one there ever straps bombs to their children, no Leishmaniasis, Hepatitis E, Schistosomiasis, Lassa fever, Yellow fever, Typhoid fever, Dengue fever, Malaria; no Camel Spiders, pit vipers, sandflees, scorpians, or poisonous lizards. Poland has skiing and nude beaches, beer, Vodka, and best of all....old school gyms are everywhere and puking is considered a sign of a good day at the gym.

The only down side to a tour in Poland is that you may have to fight a few hundred thousand Russians.

Where do I sign up?

jeffaus
04-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Favorable exchange rate, beautiful woman, great chow, the people love Americans, No sand storms, the people bathe regularly, no one there ever straps bombs to their children, no Leishmaniasis, Hepatitis E, Schistosomiasis, Lassa fever, Yellow fever, Typhoid fever, Dengue fever, Malaria; no Camel Spiders, pit vipers, sandflees, scorpians, or poisonous lizards. Poland has skiing and nude beaches, beer, Vodka, and best of all....old school gyms are everywhere and puking is considered a sign of a good day at the gym.

The only down side to a tour in Poland is that you may have to fight a few hundred thousand Russians.

Where do I sign up?BRB, heading to Poland

Brackneyc
04-19-2014, 07:43 PM

Where do I sign up?

I just finished watching Stripes. Will Sgt. Hulka be there? :D