PDA

View Full Version : Confusion :-(

leolass
04-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Hi, I am new, 53 and in the obese category. I have always struggled with my weight and 13 yrs ago I had a gastric band fitted and went from 125 kg to 65 kg and felt fantastic, I lived on corn thins, cheese and wine diet. To be expected after a while I had no energy, felt weak and just wanted to make a meal out of a whole lettuce. I decided to have all of the fluid removed and change to a plant based diet, I love it and mentally feel a whole lot better, but within 2 months I gained a whopping 20 kilo and I have been steadily gaining ever since. I have now reached 104 kg and 50% body fat. My cholesterol and BP have skyrocketed and the Dr wants me on medication, not wanting to I decided to try and do something about it. 6 weeks ago I joined a Gym and go at least 4 times per week and do a mix of weights and cardio. drink lots of water, no alcohol, soft drinks etc and take a multivitamins. I recently had my bloods taken and my sugars are fine but vit D very low, I am now taking a supplement for that.

My regime is
Day one 30 mins at a brisk walk on the treadmill.(5.5 speed with 10 mins at 6.0)
Day two: 15 mins on treadmill followed by
15 reps x 3 sets chest, pecs and shoulder press (the latter kills me and only manage 5 x 3)
15 reps x 3 sets for my legs, press, curl and extension.
and a day rest.

I have been incorporating protein shakes (soy or almond milk, banana, 2 tbs pea protein and a tbs peanut butter, sometimes add 1/4 cups oats) I'm trying to eat regular meals along with a snack of fruit or nuts in between. I have cut out at least 50% of my carbs. I rarely eat bread or rice, unless its brown, no white potatoes only sweet, I use flaxseed oil as a spread instead of margarine. IF I do make a pizza I have only one slice (instead of the whole thing as I use to) and have salad or veggies with it. I have gone from a couch potato to eating a healthy plant based diet and exercising 4 times a week, surely I should have lost more by now? so what the hell am I doing wrong!

My confusion is I have barely lost a kilo I keep getting conflicting reports that I am doing it all wrong, it's doing my head in!

1. the pea protein is to high in sodium for my high blood pressure..stop taking it!!
2. Banana are to high in sugars..........cut them out!
3. peanut butter to high in fat...........cut that out!
4. Don't do so much exercise as my body has gone into starvation mode....!
5. I need to do more weights and less cardio.
6. I need to just do cardio for weight loss

Yes I am new to the site but please BE to hard on me! I need solid sensible and some tough love if that;s what will set me on the right track to a healthier lifestyle and better weight loss!

Bando
04-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Have you tried lifting weights?

leolass
04-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Don't the machines count? what would you suggest?

Have you tried lifting weights?

Bando
04-17-2014, 06:50 PM
I would suggest squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, and (assisted) pullups.

leolass
04-17-2014, 06:55 PM
OK Thanks, I will do a search on correct technique and see how I go. is there a max weight? should I do more reps and less weight?

I would suggest squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, and (assisted) pullups.

eomrat
04-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Buy this book.

Eat real food.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738

Bando
04-17-2014, 07:09 PM
is there a max weight?

Yes, the max weight is the weight you can't lift. The minimum the weight you can lift. Work in between those.

leolass
04-17-2014, 07:16 PM
Thanks Bando, appreciate your input.

Yes, the max weight is the weight you can't lift. The minimum the weight you can lift. Work in between those.

UnaChispita
04-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Wait...

If you're gaining weight after gastric bypass doesn't that mean you are eating way more than you should???

Oh edit: I see it was a lap band, not GB

But doesn't that still mean you're eating too much?

weiss1967
04-18-2014, 11:06 PM
OP, simple advice will not help you here. You need to educate yourself on the very basic nutrition. Someone give you a link to a book, this would be a good start.

so-tex
04-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Don't the machines count? what would you suggest?No!

I would suggest squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, and (assisted) pullups.This plus cardio. As far as the diet goes everything you listed is fine to eat/drink. Pea protein-fuk the sodium content, just don't make it a major point of the diet; Banana's and sugar content? Don't worry about it. Banana's are packed with vitamins and fiber. They're good for you as long as you don't eat 10 a day. Peanut Butter is one of the most complete snacks you can eat. Full of protein and healthy fats. 1-2 TBS/day only when trying to lose weight.

leolass
04-19-2014, 07:33 PM
HI, It is a Swedish adjustable gastric band and no I wasn't eating enough and had the band to tight. I was literally starving my body so when I had fluid removed my body it decided I had starved it long enough and kept hold of everything. and YES I was eating the wrong things!

Wait...

If you're gaining weight after gastric bypass doesn't that mean you are eating way more than you should???

Oh edit: I see it was a lap band, not GB

But doesn't that still mean you're eating too much?

leolass
04-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Hi all and thanks.
OMG I did some squats and my thighs are killing me!!! Gym is closed for the Easter long weekend so I am walking lots and made some mini weights that I have been using also.

It is a Swedish adjustable gastric band and no I wasn't eating enough and had the band to tight so I was literally starving my body! When I had fluid removed my body decided
I had starved it long enough and kept hold of everything I put into it and I was a couch potato for year, and YES I was eating the wrong things!

OK So looks like I need to push myself a lot more and incorporate more "manual" exercise/weight.

I am rather pleased that I have dropped a bit more weight today at weight in :-)

Thanks for advice much appreciated.

eomrat
04-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Hi all and thanks.
OMG I did some squats and my thighs are killing me!!! Gym is closed for the Easter long weekend so I am walking lots and made some mini weights that I have been using also.

It is a Swedish adjustable gastric band and no I wasn't eating enough and had the band to tight so I was literally starving my body! When I had fluid removed my body decided
I had starved it long enough and kept hold of everything I put into it and I was a couch potato for year, and YES I was eating the wrong things!

OK So looks like I need to push myself a lot more and incorporate more "manual" exercise/weight.

I am rather pleased that I have dropped a bit more weight today at weight in :-)

Thanks for advice much appreciated.

The scale is your enemy. Scales are indirectly responsible for more failed weight loss plans than any thing else. Focus on how your clothes fit!! Lets be honest, you don't really care if you weigh 500 lbs, as long as you look like you weigh 150.

I was serious about the book I recommended. If you are going to focus on the big lifts, then Starting Strength is one the very best resources for learning how to do them correctly. Once you have read each section at least 5 times, look on the web for videos by MarK Rippetoe. Your thighs are supposed to be killing you after squats, its one the main reasons that people fear them.

Learn the difference between Micros and Macros. Unless you have some medical condition, you do not need to worry about micronutrients and you probably never will.

As far as cardio goes, it doesn't matter what kind you do and never let people baffle you with all their talk of what type or style is best. The best type of cardio is the type that you enjoy enough that you will keep doing it, or the type that you hate the least :)

Do the lifts that Bando recommended and nothing else. As you look around the gym, if you notice that you are doing the same thing as the other ladies, you are probably wrong. 80% of the men in most gyms have absolutely no clue what they are doing. 99% of women don't. Other than our baby making parts, men and women are not all that different and we shouldn't lift differently.

Good luck!!

RT1957
04-20-2014, 10:08 AM
People over complicate diet....go to the grocery store and visit the fruit and vegetable department. Then walk over to where the fish, chicken, pork and beef are. Purchase items from those departments only....Look up the calorie, protein, carb and fat for everything you buy. Just goggle it...it's that simple. Write down those numbers. If you really need bread and rice and pasta get real about the portions you eat of those. If It's prepared in a box "DON'T EAT IT"..

add some cottage cheese to the mix and a glass or 2 of milk...like 6-8 oz only....eggs......get some nuts for snacks....no salt roasted or raw...almonds walnuts...etc make a mix...

Use light olive oil for cooking, or flaxseed oil...

If you don't like fish.....learn to.....it's simply the best of the best......High in quality protein and good fats....great for weight loss....low calorie high calorie quality...salmon is the king

leolass
04-20-2014, 08:33 PM
People over complicate diet....go to the grocery store and visit the fruit and vegetable department. Then walk over to where the fish, chicken, pork and beef are. Purchase items from those departments only....Look up the calorie, protein, carb and fat for everything you buy. Just goggle it...it's that simple. Write down those numbers. If you really need bread and rice and pasta get real about the portions you eat of those. If It's prepared in a box "DON'T EAT IT"..

add some cottage cheese to the mix and a glass or 2 of milk...like 6-8 oz only....eggs......get some nuts for snacks....no salt roasted or raw...almonds walnuts...etc make a mix...

Use light olive oil for cooking, or flaxseed oil...

If you don't like fish.....learn to.....it's simply the best of the best......High in quality protein and good fats....great for weight loss....low calorie high calorie quality...salmon is the king

Thanks
I do eat plenty of nuts, vegetables and some fruit and limiting my carbs, trying to follow the advice on the site regarding thirds on your plate. The other items you mention are not included in my diet as a choice and
I find no problems finding a good enough alternative. My main concern was the amount of sodium in the pea protein for my blood pressure (which will go down in time with weight loss and exercises)
And the sugars in the fruits that put on weight.

leolass
04-20-2014, 08:37 PM
The scale is your enemy. Scales are indirectly responsible for more failed weight loss plans than any thing else. Focus on how your clothes fit!! Lets be honest, you don't really care if you weigh 500 lbs, as long as you look like you weigh 150.

I was serious about the book I recommended. If you are going to focus on the big lifts, then Starting Strength is one the very best resources for learning how to do them correctly. Once you have read each section at least 5 times, look on the web for videos by MarK Rippetoe. Your thighs are supposed to be killing you after squats, its one the main reasons that people fear them.

Learn the difference between Micros and Macros. Unless you have some medical condition, you do not need to worry about micronutrients and you probably never will.

As far as cardio goes, it doesn't matter what kind you do and never let people baffle you with all their talk of what type or style is best. The best type of cardio is the type that you enjoy enough that you will keep doing it, or the type that you hate the least :)

Do the lifts that Bando recommended and nothing else. As you look around the gym, if you notice that you are doing the same thing as the other ladies, you are probably wrong. 80% of the men in most gyms have absolutely no clue what they are doing. 99% of women don't. Other than our baby making parts, men and women are not all that different and we shouldn't lift differently.

Good luck!!

Thank you eomrat.
I will look into that book you mentioned and appreciate your solid input. :-D

RT1957
04-20-2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks
I do eat plenty of nuts, vegetables and some fruit and limiting my carbs, trying to follow the advice on the site regarding thirds on your plate. The other items you mention are not included in my diet as a choice and
I find no problems finding a good enough alternative. My main concern was the amount of sodium in the pea protein for my blood pressure (which will go down in time with weight loss and exercises)
And the sugars in the fruits that put on weight.

The sugar in fruit is not your problem with weight loss. The sugar in most fruit is complex with only a few fruits...some citrus that are simple sugars.....Everything you put in your body turns to sugar....Everything. Our bodies run on sugar(Glucose).....All foods you put in your body will and can be turned into glucose...Glucose is sugar....

Fruit has fiber, vitamins, anti oxidants and good carbs...If you don't take in enough carbs your body will convert protein into glucose.....

Every meal should include a lean protein, fresh fruit and veggies....Mix in some whole grains for carbs and fiber.

Milk is a meal in a glass....it has protein, carbs and fats....all in one simple glass of milk.

Losing weight is a numbers game only. Burn more calories than you take in and you will lose weight.

The sugar in cookies, candy, cake, sodas....etc are what you want to avoid....not fruit....fruit is natural and provides quality calories for your body to function at it's best. Learn to balance all your macros and your body will use each nutrient at it best....skip some foods and others will take over and be converted to make up the difference. Eat fruit for carbs or the body will use protein for that job....Which will take away proteins main function.

Your body needs quality protein, carbs and fats.....Fruit is one of those.....