PDA

View Full Version : So, i bought an ipad

djflex
04-17-2014, 04:40 PM
Mini, really like it. Much more than i expected

Mlb tv purchase as well and watching on my ipad while walking around is priceless

Thanks apple

djflex
04-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Also ordered a blutooth boombox for summer...from monoprice

Thanks monoprice

frozensparky
04-17-2014, 05:04 PM
iPad plus netflix makes for a lot more enjoyable cardio for me.

djflex
04-17-2014, 05:07 PM
iPad plus netflix makes for a lot more enjoyable cardio for me.

May look into netflix...

baker
04-17-2014, 05:24 PM
I bought the iPad Air for "work".

:)

djflex
04-17-2014, 05:30 PM
I bought the iPad Air for "work".

:)

I thought about air, but just went with prev model mini. I liked the smaller size for some reason

sfalexi
04-17-2014, 05:31 PM
The iPad mini (especially the new one, the retina one) is QUITE a little tablet. Love that thing.

I just bought a refurbished ipad 3. Loving it. Typing this on it right now.

Use it for lots of stuff, and it's a GREAT way to hold PDF files of anything I think I might want to have on hand, but not necessarily have a file for (user manuals to electronics, take pictures of receipts and proofs of purchase, warranty stuff, etc.)

Alexi

XtremeOCD
04-17-2014, 05:33 PM
I moderated this forum 99% using my iPad mini. Love it! Perfect size for every application. :)

djflex
04-17-2014, 05:35 PM
I moderated this forum 99% using my iPad mini. Love it! Perfect size for every application. :)

Your not a mod anymore?

mirroroferised
04-17-2014, 05:35 PM
May look into netflix... I've been wanting to upgrade my playbook and the Ipad is on my list. Any selling point for you going this way? And netflix is the best 7 bucks a month I've ever spent, especially if u have kids.

XtremeOCD
04-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Your not a mod anymore?

Naw...Stepped down earlier this year to put more time into family life than on the internet.

djflex
04-17-2014, 05:37 PM
I've been wanting to upgrade my playbook and the Ipad was on my list. Any selling point for you going this way? And netflix is the best 7 bucks a month I've ever spent, especially if u have kids.

Well this was my first tablet. So nothing to compare it to. But i have several ipods and iphone and to me i wanted them all tied together.

djflex
04-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Naw...Stepped down earlier this year to put more time into family life than on the internet.

Gotcha, good for you man.

Never wanted to be a mod

Phattso
04-17-2014, 05:56 PM
Nice. What is the data plan you got?

djflex
04-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Nice. What is the data plan you got?

Just wi fi...

Jtbny
04-17-2014, 06:04 PM
I've had an iPad 2 since the day it was released. Haven't cracked my laptop since. Love this thing!

Good luck with it.

mirroroferised
04-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Well this was my first tablet. So nothing to compare it to. But i have several ipods and iphone and to me i wanted them all tied together.

I bought my playbook a few years ago without doing any research at all and regretted it pretty soon. The ipad seems to get a lot of good reviews. Kinda glad you made this thread :)

frozensparky
04-17-2014, 08:27 PM
And netflix is the best 7 bucks a month I've ever spent, especially if u have kids.

Agreed plus with a little googling you can change between American, Canadian and uk netflix for different selections.

I have a 2nd gen iPad that I use for netflix and cardio, it stays downstairs on my elyptical. I won a mini at a Christmas party last year that I have upstairs and I use for pretty much everything.

Cass40
04-17-2014, 10:17 PM
I love my iPad mini that got for Christmas.
I watched netflix at work all the time. It's so small that you can hide it easily.
When I went to Europe for six months, I had it with me the whole time. Most coffee shops and restaurants in Europe have free wifi.
It's easy to carry cause it fits even in the smallest purse, and it's light!
I use it for pretty much everything now.

GreenWave1
04-18-2014, 06:22 AM
Tablets are great. I second the netflix thing. streaming is fantastic.

Brackneyc
04-18-2014, 06:55 AM
I like my Ipad (first gen), but still prefer the laptop for most things.

mcbourque
04-18-2014, 07:18 AM
Agreed plus with a little googling you can change between American, Canadian and uk netflix for different selections.

Wait what really?
Off to google how to get Canadian Netflix in the US...

mirroroferised
04-18-2014, 07:31 AM

I have a 2nd gen iPad that I use for netflix and cardio, it stays downstairs on my elyptical. I won a mini at a Christmas party last year that I have upstairs and I use for pretty much everything.

Wait what really?
Off to google how to get Canadian Netflix in the US...

Just make sure you keep up on the updated dns #'s. We're in Canada and had the US netlifx for ages but then started running into all sorts of computer crashing problems, the kids wii not connecting to netflix anymore. As soon as I restored our dns the problem went away. Frustrating cuz the US netflix is way better than the Canadian one.

frozensparky
04-18-2014, 10:48 AM
Just make sure you keep up on the updated dns #'s. We're in Canada and had the US netlifx for ages but then started running into all sorts of computer crashing problems, the kids wii not connecting to netflix anymore. As soon as I restored our dns the problem went away. Frustrating cuz the US netflix is way better than the Canadian one.

Ya it's a pain when they don't work but I can usually find new ones pretty quick

mcbourque
04-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Ya it's a pain when they don't work but I can usually find new ones pretty quick

I did a quick search and it's easier to find numbers for the US than it is the other way around :(

mirroroferised
04-18-2014, 11:33 AM
I did a quick search and it's easier to find numbers for the US than it is the other way around :(

To be honest I've had both and Canadian netflix kind of sucks compared to the US one. You have a lot more options anyway.

Cass40
04-18-2014, 12:07 PM
European Netflix also sucked in comparison.

mcbourque
04-18-2014, 01:59 PM
To be honest I've had both and Canadian netflix kind of sucks compared to the US one. You have a lot more options anyway.

I guess I've kind of ran through most of the US stuff and was hoping for different content, maybe French stuff too?
My kids really like the extra content when we visit family in Canada and the UK.

vakrka
04-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Now go get a Google Chrome cast and you can send what is on your I pad to your TV

I have a galaxy note 10
wife has I pad
3 kids have kindles
all can do pretty much the same stuff. So i suggest you get what matches you phone

mirroroferised
04-18-2014, 03:15 PM
I guess I've kind of ran through most of the US stuff and was hoping for different content, maybe French stuff too?
My kids really like the extra content when we visit family in Canada and the UK.

Too bad we can't trade :D

Brackneyc
04-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Now go get a Google Chrome cast and you can send what is on your I pad to your TV

I have a galaxy note 10
wife has I pad
3 kids have kindles
all can do pretty much the same stuff. So i suggest you get what matches you phone

I play all of my Apple stuff right through my Apple TV.

XtremeOCD
04-18-2014, 03:22 PM

This

Nothing like watching a YouTube clip on the iPad and wanting to show everyone in the room and just switching to Apple TV and stream there.

djflex
04-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Well my little blutooth speaker thing came today. Not a audiophile,s delight but acceptable

Brackneyc
04-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Well my little blutooth speaker thing came today. Not a audiophile,s delight but acceptable

I have a couple of HDMX "Jam" speakers. Not bad. Good bathroom "getting ready for work" speakers.

djflex
04-18-2014, 04:10 PM
I have a couple of HDMX "Jam" speakers. Not bad. Good bathroom "getting ready for work" speakers.

How much ? This set was just a cheap one 33 bucks from monoprice

Brackneyc
04-18-2014, 04:16 PM
How much ? This set was just a cheap one 33 bucks from monoprice

Amazon has them for about 28.00. They also have a newer version, which you can pair up two of them (at once) for true stereo. I have not used those, but I have seen them for as low as 19.00 each. That suggests to me they are not doing well, as they were 49.00 each when they came out.

They are rechargeable, but I leave mine plugged in at all times. It just sits on the counter (plugged in) in the bathroom, waiting to be paired up each day. The only annoyance is the sound it makes when it pairs up. Pretty loud "BEEP." Caught me by surprise the first time I paired it. Leaves no question however as to whether or not it is paired. :)

djflex
04-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Amazon has them for about 28.00. They also have a newer version, which you can pair up two of them (at once) for true stereo. I have not used those, but I have seen them for as low as 19.00 each. That suggests to me they are not doing well, as they were 49.00 each when they came out.

They are rechargeable, but I leave mine plugged in at all times. It just sits on the counter (plugged in) in the bathroom, waiting to be paired up each day. The only annoyance is the sound it makes when it pairs up. Pretty loud "BEEP." Caught me by surprise the first time I paired it. Leaves no question however as to whether or not it is paired. :)

Cool

CaptChip40
04-18-2014, 05:33 PM
This

Nothing like watching a YouTube clip on the iPad and wanting to show everyone in the room and just switching to Apple TV and stream there.

Do the same, just can't get the sound to go through the Bose surround sound, can only get it through the TV or dinky MacBook speakers.

StressMonkey
04-19-2014, 08:22 AM
I almost didn't click on this because I thought that it was another djflex deception.

Make sure you enable "find my iPhone" on your iPad right now! It's a lifesaver if you happen to misplace it in your house.

My favorite accessory (not iPad specific) is this stand by Anker. It's cheap, strong, sturdy, and portable. I use it all the time. I'm even tapping on my iPad when I'm eating my cereal. :)

http://www.ianker.com/product/77ANSTAND-SA

http://www.ianker.com/images/pics/goods_img/77ANSTAND-SA/ccdb5e94-eadd-42b0-9611-07499ffb949c.jpg

djflex
04-19-2014, 09:13 AM
I almost didn't click on this because I thought that it was another djflex deception.

Lol...

frozensparky
04-19-2014, 11:41 AM
My favorite accessory (not iPad specific) is this stand by Anker. It's cheap, strong, sturdy, and portable. I use it all the time. I'm even tapping on my iPad when I'm eating my cereal. :)

http://www.ianker.com/images/pics/goods_img/77ANSTAND-SA/ccdb5e94-eadd-42b0-9611-07499ffb949c.jpg

Thanks for posting this one. Just ordered one for myself and one for Logan. He likes to eat breakfast and watch netflix on his and I always end up setting his up against a 5lb tub of protein

vakrka
04-20-2014, 12:11 PM

$35 is better than $99

and you can then use non apple stuff also
not sure if I can do non apple tablets through apple TV. I doubt it

Brackneyc
04-20-2014, 04:52 PM
$35 is better than $99

and you can then use non apple stuff also
not sure if I can do non apple tablets through apple TV. I doubt it

Doubtful, but I use my Apple TV for netflix, as well as mirroring Amazon Prime through it with my phone or Ipad. There are all sorts of Apple TV type of "boxes" out there. I found Apple TV to be the one which was best suited to my existing stuff. :)

XtremeOCD
04-20-2014, 05:04 PM
Do the same, just can't get the sound to go through the Bose surround sound, can only get it through the TV or dinky MacBook speakers.

My sound comes through my Bose. I use the fiber optic cable that is an audio out from the TV and run it into an input on the receiver so anything that plays on the TV, the sound comes through my Bose.

CaptChip40
04-20-2014, 05:39 PM
My sound comes through my Bose. I use the fiber optic cable that is an audio out from the TV and run it into an input on the receiver so anything that plays on the TV, the sound comes through my Bose.

Thanks I give that a try.

Brackneyc
04-20-2014, 06:05 PM

This is how I do it as well.

geer_matt
04-21-2014, 12:02 AM
I had a really nice tablet once, but after I bought a large screen smart phone I rarely picked it up any more. After reading through earlier comments about Netflix though I wonder have any of you considered Amazon Prime? I have had both Netflix and Amazon Prime, they pretty much have the same movies or tv shows cost pretty much the same but with Amazon Prime you get free two day shipping with most things you order off of Amazon. Its an added bonus. I just ordered a laptop board last Thursday night about 8:30 pm. It arrived Saturday morning at 10:30 am. That is some pretty fast free shipping!

tmonkey
04-21-2014, 03:44 PM
i have a air

i put my schedule in it and it goes to my computer and phone, really worth the money so far....not

i also have a game called bloons td 3 (or something similar) it is fun actually and played it when i went to phoenix

StressMonkey
04-23-2014, 06:00 AM
Thanks for posting this one. Just ordered one for myself and one for Logan. He likes to eat breakfast and watch netflix on his and I always end up setting his up against a 5lb tub of protein

No problem. I got one for Xmas and almost didn't open it because I already had bought a stand that cost significantly more than that one. I like the Anker so much better.

$35 is better than $99

So the only difference between them is the price point?

I had a really nice tablet once, but after I bought a large screen smart phone I rarely picked it up any more. After reading through earlier comments about Netflix though I wonder have any of you considered Amazon Prime? I have had both Netflix and Amazon Prime, they pretty much have the same movies or tv shows cost pretty much the same but with Amazon Prime you get free two day shipping with most things you order off of Amazon. Its an added bonus. I just ordered a laptop board last Thursday night about 8:30 pm. It arrived Saturday morning at 10:30 am. That is some pretty fast free shipping!

I agree with geer_matt (never thought that I would be saying that). Amazon Prime streaming used to have a crap selection but they have a lot of compelling content now.

mcbourque
04-26-2014, 10:37 AM

Ok so my very clever 12yo figured out how to bypass the location issue.
You can install a VPN app on your phone/iPad (SurfEasy VPN) is what I have right now, set a profile and change your location from there. You can switch back and forth in your phone setting...

Ok... Off to watch 3 seasons straight of Downton Abbey...

ISAID69
04-26-2014, 11:00 AM
So Saturday morning last week, ipad under the arm on the way to the garden I drop my prized possession. Cracked screen and all I swop 'the brain' with my kids ipad - Because you know, Daddy has work and **** to do. Long story made short, my ipad was fixed by Monday afternoon, yes let me say it again Monday afternoon. So less than 3 days from cracked pro to new worked schmo in 3 days