PDA

View Full Version : Post Workout

nrowles
04-17-2014, 07:51 AM
I need to know if I'm getting everything I need post workout. I eat breakfast (usually about 600 calories), 2 hours later workout for about an hour to hour and half, 30g whey protein (Dymatize Elite)immediately after, and eat lunch 3 hours later. Is the whey protein sufficient if I'm not eating for another 3 hours? I read an article saying I should be taking in carbs/meal immediately after as well to avoid catabolic cortisol blah blah blah but I generally don't feel like eating and that's not what I have been doing. Also, sometimes I feel really gassed and shakey after leaving gym.

macdawg202
04-17-2014, 08:29 AM
I need to know if I'm getting everything I need post workout. I eat breakfast (usually about 600 calories), 2 hours later workout for about an hour to hour and half, 30g whey protein (Dymatize Elite)immediately after, and eat lunch 3 hours later. Is the whey protein sufficient if I'm not eating for another 3 hours? I read an article saying I should be taking in carbs/meal immediately after as well to avoid catabolic cortisol blah blah blah but I generally don't feel like eating and that's not what I have been doing. Also, sometimes I feel really gassed and shakey after leaving gym.

Any advantages of consuming certain nutrients post-workout are minimal if existent at all. Just get your macro totals in by the end of the day.

Seeing how your meals are separated by several hours (2 hrs til workout+1.5 hr workout+3 hrs later til lunch= 6.5 hrs between full meals) I would suggest adding carbs with your shake if you feel like you need them just because of the length between your breakfast and lunch. Not because of any added post-workout benefits they would supply.

shoefanatic23
04-17-2014, 08:30 AM
What matters at the end of the day is that you hit your targeted macros. A protein shake post workout necessary by any means. If you are able to eat whole foods post workout I would opt for that. If you aren't hungry right after the gym, then don't eat right away. Post workout I'd stretch, go home, shower, and then start cook a meal. A shake is great if you need help to hit your macros.

As far as feeling gassed and shaky after the gym, are you staying hydrated pre and intra workout, and are you consuming any type of pre workout drink?

bdzemske
04-17-2014, 08:47 AM
totally fine. you have to work around your schedual. obviously a whole meal would be best about 30 to 45 mins after shake but if you eat a few hrs later shouldnt be a problem

llahhsoj
04-17-2014, 08:52 AM
As long as you are hitting your daily macros, you are fine. I generally like to get some carbs post workout as well, but not a huge issue.

nrowles
04-17-2014, 08:56 AM
What matters at the end of the day is that you hit your targeted macros. A protein shake post workout necessary by any means. If you are able to eat whole foods post workout I would opt for that. If you aren't hungry right after the gym, then don't eat right away. Post workout I'd stretch, go home, shower, and then start cook a meal. A shake is great if you need help to hit your macros.

As far as feeling gassed and shaky after the gym, are you staying hydrated pre and intra workout, and are you consuming any type of pre workout drink?

I go to work directly after gym so anything I eat would be out of a box/bag.

I really don't drink much water before working out. Hard for me to consume in the morning for some reason. And I sip it at the gym. I might get 20 oz in from time I wake up til done at gym. I do use a preworkout.

nrowles
04-17-2014, 08:58 AM
It blows my mind how much broscience is out there even in published articles. I suppose those articles could be meant for the most extreme of training for competition level though.

macdawg202
04-17-2014, 09:48 AM
It blows my mind how much broscience is out there even in published articles. I suppose those articles could be meant for the most extreme of training for competition level though.

Fitness world would be a lot better off without the likes of Jim Stoppani and company. Pure broscience being legitimately published by him and others everyday, why, because he wrote a dissertation and gets to carry around a fancy PhD title.

The Solution
04-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Any advantages of consuming certain nutrients post-workout are minimal if existent at all. Just get your macro totals in by the end of the day.

This is all you need right here
Set up your meal timing/frequency based off what works for you and hit your minimum's/kcals at the end of the day and your set.

cr357
04-17-2014, 10:02 AM
Fitness world would be a lot better off without the likes of Jim Stoppani and company. Pure broscience being legitimately published by him and others everyday, why, because he wrote a dissertation and gets to carry around a fancy PhD title.A lot of what is called "broscience" is valid and applies to athletes who are looking for more than just to be "Joe Lift" 4-5 days a week. That term is thrown around way too loosely whenever someone doesn't agree with a theory or application thereof.

stann123
04-17-2014, 12:24 PM
A lot of what is called "broscience" is valid and applies to athletes who are looking for more than just to be "Joe Lift" 4-5 days a week. That term is thrown around way too loosely whenever someone doesn't agree with a theory or application thereof.for example?

cr357
04-17-2014, 01:18 PM
for example?The OP would apply to multiple bouts of strenuous athletic activity in the same day (i.e. weights in the a.m. , MMA training afternoon, basketball with the fellas in the evening).

gbullock32
04-17-2014, 01:40 PM
The OP would apply to multiple bouts of strenuous athletic activity in the same day (i.e. weights in the a.m. , MMA training afternoon, basketball with the fellas in the evening).This, or marathon training, or like how some pros do nothing all day but train/exercise since, well... they are paid to.

Big.Jazayrli
04-17-2014, 03:04 PM

That article is out-dated. Hormone spikes during and after your workout were largely overstated in terms of physique effects for quite some time.

I personally prefer whole food after a workout otherwise I tend to get somewhat ravenous, but to each their own.

stann123
04-17-2014, 04:10 PM
A lot of what is called "broscience" is valid and applies to athletes who are looking for more than just to be "Joe Lift" 4-5 days a week. That term is thrown around way too loosely whenever someone doesn't agree with a theory or application thereof.The whole post workout insulin spike is outdated info. You know that post workout insulin spikes kill gh levels which are at their highest post workout. Neither of that really matters IMO they are both so minimal it wont have any impact on body composition

layne Norton talks about similar stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxwXIgnmAOI&list=UUqMBA83S0TnfTlTeE5j1mgQ

cr357
04-17-2014, 05:17 PM
The whole post workout insulin spike is outdated info. You know that post workout insulin spikes kill gh levels which are at their highest post workout. Neither of that really matters IMO they are both so minimal it wont have any impact on body composition

Not everyone is a bodybulider

athletes who are looking for more than just to be "Joe Lift" 4-5 days a week

The OP would apply to multiple bouts of strenuous athletic activity in the same day (i.e. weights in the a.m. , MMA training afternoon, basketball with the fellas in the evening).

stann123
04-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Not everyone is a bodybuliderIm not getting how you benefit from it then?

lucia316
04-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Not everyone is a bodybulider

You assume that body comp isn't important to these people. Not a good assumption.

cr357
04-17-2014, 07:51 PM
You assume that body comp isn't important to these people. Not a good assumption.
Did you read the thread??

lucia316
04-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Did you read the thread??

Yup. You still assume that body comp doesn't matter to the bold above. You can't know that. The OP said nothing of multiple bouts of strenuous activity.

FsAxis92
04-17-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say to give BCAA's a swing. While normally not necessary, they have been shown to be beneficial when your meals are that far from your workout. There's a code in the promo section to get Alpha Amino half off.

browguy808
04-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Hit your macros for the day and just adjust your meals around your daily schedule. You should be fine doing that.

02Sixxer
04-17-2014, 08:53 PM

I disagree with most that there is no or only a minimal advantage to consuming foods or certain macros post workout.

Come down to science: what is the most anabolic substance your body produces?

Insulin.

What causes insulin to spike the highest as fastest, other then from injection insulin?

Carbohydrates.

What are positives insulin provides post workout?

Shuttling nutrients to muscles and damaged areas.

What are the disadvantages?

If you eat fats while insulin is spiked it to will be carried and stored.

Why is insulin abused or used for reasons other then diabetics?

Build mass quicker due to how anabolic the substance is.

So if you can control tht spike through quick acting carb and use it to your advantage. Does this mean you will see massive growth from this immediately. NO. But, it may be one small part that can aid in helping you build more muscle.

Saying just watch your daily intake does work for me. That theory doesn't pan out. So I eat all my daily cals 5 min pre workout. Now I intfere with my blood flow intra workout. My blood is being diverted to my stomach to help digest food rather to my muscles that are being worked.

I ve sat through many course on food timing and I am believer that it is important. It is not the end all be all but a small factor in a large puzzle.

stann123
04-17-2014, 09:28 PM
I disagree with most that there is no or only a minimal advantage to consuming foods or certain macros post workout.

Come down to science: what is the most anabolic substance your body produces?

Insulin.

What causes insulin to spike the highest as fastest, other then from injection insulin?

Carbohydrates.

What are positives insulin provides post workout?

Shuttling nutrients to muscles and damaged areas.

What are the disadvantages?

If you eat fats while insulin is spiked it to will be carried and stored.

Why is insulin abused or used for reasons other then diabetics?

Build mass quicker due to how anabolic the substance is.

So if you can control tht spike through quick acting carb and use it to your advantage. Does this mean you will see massive growth from this immediately. NO. But, it may be one small part that can aid in helping you build more muscle.

Saying just watch your daily intake does work for me. That theory doesn't pan out. So I eat all my daily cals 5 min pre workout. Now I intfere with my blood flow intra workout. My blood is being diverted to my stomach to help digest food rather to my muscles that are being worked.

I ve sat through many course on food timing and I am believer that it is important. It is not the end all be all but a small factor in a large puzzle.see my post above. and you say bodybuilders use insulin, well gh is more often used. And spiking insulin post workout decreases gh levels

02Sixxer
04-18-2014, 06:25 AM
see my post above. and you say bodybuilders use insulin, well gh is more often used. And spiking insulin post workout decreases gh levels

So tell me how long doe it take for gh to spike and go down?

When is your strongest spike?

Gh and Slin work to build. Also insulin is much more anabolic.

While Our growth hormone is highly important it works off a schedule. Spikes are short lived in men. So by time you stop working out and make it out of the gym that spike should be decreasing. You bring carbs in after the gh spike you are working with your gh and making the most of your body.

There is no argument how important gh is. But you have to remember its not elevated for long periods of time. Strongest spike should be in Rem sleep then upon waking.

corageon
04-18-2014, 06:32 AM

It's decent, would recommend BSN Syntha-6 or PES Select over dymatize though. Dyma is easier on people's stomach's for some reason though.

stann123
04-18-2014, 10:45 AM
So tell me how long doe it take for gh to spike and go down?

When is your strongest spike?

Gh and Slin work to build. Also insulin is much more anabolic.

While Our growth hormone is highly important it works off a schedule. Spikes are short lived in men. So by time you stop working out and make it out of the gym that spike should be decreasing. You bring carbs in after the gh spike you are working with your gh and making the most of your body.

There is no argument how important gh is. But you have to remember its not elevated for long periods of time. Strongest spike should be in Rem sleep then upon waking.Well according to George farah you should wait 30 mins post workout to have carbs. Like I said I don't feel like either of them have any impact IMO

02Sixxer
04-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Well according to George farah you should wait 30 mins post workout to have carbs. Like I said I don't feel like either of them have any impact IMO

Ill agree that is a safe time frame.