PDA

View Full Version : Perpetually exhausted

callmeunodos
04-16-2014, 08:45 AM
I graduated college last May and the real world has taken its toll on me. I'm working two jobs now, a M-F 9-5 and the other is at the local newspaper 6-midnight, 3-4 nights a week, which puts me between . I also have to wake up around 615-630 to get my daughter ready for school. I'm not complaining, but I used to work out a consistent 4-5 days per week. Now, my sleep schedule is all jacked up, obviously, but I hate not getting to work out. I'm pretty exhausted from lack of sleep by the time I get home on nights that I don't work, but I keep trying to get myself to hit the weights. I turn 28 next week, weigh about 190. I'm drinking entirely too much caffeine currently, but on the days I try to break the cycle, I nearly pass out at work.

I know that there's no substitute for good sleep and diet and all that, but it doesn't appear that I'm at a point in my life where it is possible for me to get more than 5-6 hours a night. Does anyone have any (supplement) recommendations that would help with energy?

Vinny82
04-16-2014, 08:50 AM
I know its tough with your schedule, because you feel reliant on the stims, the same happens to me at times. But if you took a break from stimulants even for a week or two it might help you out. Then go back to using them after a few weeks. It could also be your diet, if your not taking in enough calories you could become lethargic. Whats your current diet like, an estimate of total macros each day?

bsmit107
04-16-2014, 09:02 AM
I feel your pain man! Im 28, work 45 hours a week at my regular job and train clients 7-10 hours a week in the before/after time of my full time gig, and also get an 1-1.5 hours of my own workout in 4-5 days a week.

Honestly coffee and stims are going to make your problem worse. It will really be tough, but you should try to go without caffeine for a few weeks and let your body rely on the energy that it makes naturally. You will feel much better once you get off the dependence of caffeine. Pick up a good Mulit and make sure you are eating as well as you can with plenty of health fats.

I know all too well. I drink 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning and usually 1-2 scoops of N.O Explode in the afternoon around 5pm. I wake up in the morning groggy as hell and don't feel like a person till I get that coffee in. It feels like I need more and more caffeine as time goes on just to wake up and feel normal. So, every 1-2 months I go completely without caffeine for a week or so and it resets things and makes me feel relatively normal again. I literally can wake up and feel refreshed and not have to drag myself out of bed.

Good luck. Hopefully things start to level out for you

callmeunodos
04-16-2014, 09:07 AM
I know its tough with your schedule, because you feel reliant on the stims, the same happens to me at times. But if you took a break from stimulants even for a week or two it might help you out. Then go back to using them after a few weeks. It could also be your diet, if your not taking in enough calories you could become lethargic. Whats your current diet like, an estimate of total macros each day?

I don't track my macros, but my diet is GENERALLY something like oatmeal with peanut butter/honey in the morning, leftovers for lunch (chicken and pasta today) and something similar for dinner. There are definitely times where I mess up (this last week, for example, has been terrible), but usually, I eat like a normal, healthy American.

You are right on about caffeine. I need to buckle down for a week and just do it. I don't really do cokes or anything like that, but I have a very strong relationship with coffee and Red Bull.

My sleep patterns are all out of whack. Even on the nights that I don't work (the nights I'd like to work out) I have a hard time falling asleep at a decent hour. The nights I do work, I get home between 1230-1 and my brain doesn't shut down immediately, keeping me up till 130, on average.

Thanks for the response. I have been lazy about kicking caffeine and have used it as a crutch, this past year in particular.

Misctake7
04-16-2014, 09:07 AM
If you're getting at least 6 hours of sleep, then you are doing fine. With a busy schedule like that it can be rough. Most of the posts above addressed the stims and caffeine already. An alternative from looking at supplements on this one might be having a good amount of carbs about an hour or two before your workout. Those carbs may help give you a bit of a boost through your workout. Experiment on what works better, 1 or 2 hours before and experiment with the amount of carbs you consume.

Just an idea.

shoefanatic23
04-16-2014, 09:08 AM
I know the feeling man and props to you for having 2 jobs while raising your daughter. Although I don't have any kids (can only) imagine the stress, I do work 2 jobs where some weeks its up to 60-70 hours a week. To keep my going through my day is that I make sure I can enough food in my system to keep me going along with having plenty of water. If I'm at the point where I am totally dragging I will have an extra cup of coffee sometime mid day.

TheFugitive
04-16-2014, 09:11 AM
I would look into eating a healthy meal before your day starts and a cup of coffee

callmeunodos
04-16-2014, 09:11 AM
I feel your pain man! Im 28, work 45 hours a week at my regular job and train clients 7-10 hours a week in the before/after time of my full time gig, and also get an 1-1.5 hours of my own workout in 4-5 days a week.

Honestly coffee and stims are going to make your problem worse. It will really be tough, but you should try to go without caffeine for a few weeks and let your body rely on the energy that it makes naturally. You will feel much better once you get off the dependence of caffeine. Pick up a good Mulit and make sure you are eating as well as you can with plenty of health fats.

I know all too well. I drink 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning and usually 1-2 scoops of N.O Explode in the afternoon around 5pm. I wake up in the morning groggy as hell and don't feel like a person till I get that coffee in. It feels like I need more and more caffeine as time goes on just to wake up and feel normal. So, every 1-2 months I go completely without caffeine for a week or so and it resets things and makes me feel relatively normal again. I literally can wake up and feel refreshed and not have to drag myself out of bed.

Good luck. Hopefully things start to level out for you
Thanks man, that's reassuring that I'm not alone.

During that week off from stims, you're completely off? No pre, no nothing? I know this is probably a silly question, but you still work out during that week?! Ha!

I've considered putting the Keurig on the night stand...

I don't work a 9-midnight again till Friday, so I'm going to bite the bullet and just do it. I already had some this a.m., but it's generally an all day type of beverage for me.

Vinny82
04-16-2014, 09:12 AM
I don't track my macros, but my diet is GENERALLY something like oatmeal with peanut butter/honey in the morning, leftovers for lunch (chicken and pasta today) and something similar for dinner. There are definitely times where I mess up (this last week, for example, has been terrible), but usually, I eat like a normal, healthy American.

You are right on about caffeine. I need to buckle down for a week and just do it. I don't really do cokes or anything like that, but I have a very strong relationship with coffee and Red Bull.

My sleep patterns are all out of whack. Even on the nights that I don't work (the nights I'd like to work out) I have a hard time falling asleep at a decent hour. The nights I do work, I get home between 1230-1 and my brain doesn't shut down immediately, keeping me up till 130, on average.

Thanks for the response. I have been lazy about kicking caffeine and have used it as a crutch, this past year in particular.

You may be not eating enough, I would suggest figuring out your TDEE and macros to see what your body needs. You don't have to track religiously after that, but you will get a general idea of what to consume daily for the most energy. You could always add in a something convenient like a shake for extra cals.

MasterBench
04-16-2014, 09:17 AM
I feel you man, freshman year I was in school full time + worked 50 hours a week + lifted 5x a week.

Obviously having a daughter is a big part of your responsibility as well, so you may have to reduce your lifting schedule. Why not aim for a 3x a week routine instead to better fit your schedule?

You can play around with undulating periodization or go for something like a toned down Texas Method/Madcow

Big.Jazayrli
04-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Honestly hard as it sounds giving up stimulants entirely might be the key.

When it comes to working out I don't think it's going to get any easier to find time.. the weekends in the morning perhaps?