PDA

View Full Version : End of the Road for AC/DC ?

so-tex
04-15-2014, 01:53 PM
The rumors have been floating around. It looks like a done deal now. :(

http://theorstrahyun.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/rip-acdc-1973-2014.html

bodyhard
04-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Electrical outlets and batteries?

so-tex
04-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Electrical outlets and batteries?Come on now BH, that's my band. :D

bodyhard
04-15-2014, 02:09 PM
come on now bh, that's my band. :d

:D :D

asdf

frozensparky
04-15-2014, 02:19 PM
That's too bad. Growing up I wasn't a fan but from my early twenties until present day I've come to love AC/DC.

lecarbusier
04-15-2014, 02:32 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/apr/15/acdc-retirement-rumours-surface-in-australia

never say never, he may recover.

i sure hope so.

GuyJin
04-15-2014, 02:47 PM
If that's true, then say goodbye. Too bad about Malcolm. I always figured Angus to be more of a candidate for a stroke or heart attack and he looks like he's lived three lifetimes. Didn't much care for them when I was younger, but the older I got the more I began to appreciate their music. It's almost de rigeur these days to use at least one of their songs in the latest superhero blockbuster or even animated feature. That makes them accessible whether they care or not. And it brings their sound to a whole new generation and that's what music is all about.

MrNismo
04-15-2014, 02:48 PM
From that article in reference to Malcolm:

"His passion for the band and its music, and integrity, were so intense, back in the 1970s he used to have fistfights with his younger brother, Angus, in the studio, when disagreements about a sound or riff couldn't be resolved. Proper punch-ups, teeth were lost, blood was drawn."

I had never heard this before but it makes me love them even more :)

eomrat
04-15-2014, 03:12 PM
This is a horrible day.

YIkj0d6rN3A

SP1966
04-15-2014, 03:25 PM
How many of you "fans" can name anything off of their two most recent albums without googling? I'd rather remember them at their peak than tolerate their version of the Strolling Bones! I want to see a sixty something old man in a school boy outfit almost as much as I want to see a sixty something woman in a school girl outfit, almost!

eomrat
04-15-2014, 04:06 PM
How many of you "fans" can name anything off of their two most recent albums without googling? I'd rather remember them at their peak than tolerate their version of the Strolling Bones! I want to see a sixty something old man in a school boy outfit almost as much as I want to see a sixty something woman in a school girl outfit, almost!

Not only can I not name any songs off their last two albums, I cannot name their last two albums.

kimm4
04-15-2014, 04:10 PM
jFlNo1NjAEQ

SP1966
04-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Not only can I not name any songs off their last two albums, I cannot name their last two albums.

Poser.

Last album was called Black Ice, though I couldn't name a single song off of it! :)

Brackneyc
04-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Poser.

Last album was called Black Ice, though I couldn't name a single song off of it! :)

I went and sampled each song on Amazon. Sounds pretty typical of AC/DC. By that I mean, Sounds pretty good. I like the stuff I have on my Ipod, so I will leave it as it is. Saw them in Germany years ago. Not sure where it was the scale of best to worst ( I saw so many shows) I ever saw, but no comparison in who plays the loudest. AC/DC ftw.

Sting was the worst btw.

Oceanside
04-15-2014, 04:57 PM
The rumors have been floating around. It looks like a done deal now. :(

http://theorstrahyun.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/rip-acdc-1973-2014.html

I hope they get together again so that they can break up again after that....

that way I get a chance to care even less the second time :)

cowboys listening to AC/DC......

you suck as a redneck !

djflex
04-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Saw this today. Wish him the best in his full recovery

BrockDiCaprio
04-15-2014, 05:16 PM

This...you cant rock and roll forever...you listening vince neil?

RobRocks
04-15-2014, 05:20 PM
very sad,AC/DC is one of my fav bands<I saw them at the Razors Edge Tour and The BallBreaker Tour.
Hope Malcolm Gets better soon.

mcbourque
04-15-2014, 05:23 PM
I saw this on FB this morning. So so sad :(
A stroke is bad enough, but to have your passion taken away from you like that must be horrible.

BrockDiCaprio
04-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Is AC/DC where ...pepper your angus term came from?

Not srs

jeffaus
04-15-2014, 06:03 PM
I hope they get together again so that they can break up again after that....

that way I get a chance to care even less the second time :)

cowboys listening to AC/DC......

you suck as a redneck !Only Mutt's don't care about ACDC.

I used to go and watch them every Saturday night when I was a young bloke. They had the resident Saturday night spot at my local pub. You could tell even back then that they were destined for something bigger than playing in a local pub.

latebloomingmom
04-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Black Ice sucked but it put a whole lot of merchandise in store with AC/DC on it..
new generation began asking who the heck are these guys
and went out and bought the t-shirts and began listening to some of the older good stuff

AC/DC kicks azz and always will
you dont like it
bite me
:D

latebloomingmom
04-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Bsp3D7dSU-c
4gDch1p4c_M
lWqg5-9nsSM

Corbi
04-15-2014, 06:39 PM
This...you cant rock and roll forever...you listening vince neil?

Sure he can. will be at the Crue concert at Summerfest on July 4th.

Black Ice sucked but it put a whole lot of merchandise in store with AC/DC on it..

What?? Rock n Roll train and War Machine are excellent and I like Rockin all the way and Spoilin for a fight, but I do not like the actual Black Ice song.

steffo99
04-15-2014, 06:46 PM
Couldn't find a tour list list - just wondering if they will play anywhere close to me? An article said they would aim for 40 locations.

Oceanside
04-15-2014, 06:55 PM
in high school we used to beat the crap out of the kids wearing AC/DC tee shirts...

and that was before Bon Scott drowned himself.

Bando
04-15-2014, 07:07 PM
AC/DC kicks azz and always will

AC/DC never changed to "suit the market" like many bands did. They just play hard rock and love it. Long lived band that stuck to their roots. I thought the "Those about to Rock" era was going to the end of their heyday, but the US Military really ran with Thunderstruck for recruiting and I like the results.

YS8YP7mtNss

so-tex
04-15-2014, 07:08 PM
you suck as a redneck !I can live with that. ;)

TnRob
04-15-2014, 08:00 PM
My first ever AC/CD concert ...August 20, 1980..Municipal Auditorium, Nashville

pAgnJDJN4VA

cowboybiker
04-15-2014, 08:21 PM
From that article in reference to Malcolm:

"His passion for the band and its music, and integrity, were so intense, back in the 1970s he used to have fistfights with his younger brother, Angus, in the studio, when disagreements about a sound or riff couldn't be resolved. Proper punch-ups, teeth were lost, blood was drawn."

I had never heard this before but it makes me love them even more :)
Way more entertaining than Madonna

iabs
04-15-2014, 08:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/f0cHS49.gif

eomrat
04-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Couldn't find a tour list list - just wondering if they will play anywhere close to me? An article said they would aim for 40 locations.

I feel like you maybe missed the whole point of this thread.

MiamiSpartan
04-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Oh...hope not...brings back memories of college....

SP1966
04-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Page two and still no ticket stubs.

weiss1967
04-15-2014, 08:41 PM
to me, they were done ever since Bon Scott. It is different band without him. I never re-gained taste for ACDC since then. I still have Ride On and Jail Break on one of my CD's in my truck. Those were songs! Brian Johnson was just a piece loosely fit into an empty spot to keep cash flow going, nothing else. The spirit of the group died in 1980.

cowboybiker
04-15-2014, 09:00 PM
I bet their album sales go up with this.

RobRocks
04-15-2014, 10:05 PM
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzg5MTM1MTg0.html

this just brings joy and tears to my eyes so so good man,AC/DC ROCKS ON FOREVER

RobRocks
04-15-2014, 10:09 PM
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzQ2Nzc5MDI4.html

same song but with Bon

steffo99
04-15-2014, 11:13 PM
I feel like you maybe missed the whole point of this thread.
What are you on about? The article he linked referred to a final tour:

"Plans were underway for a new studio album, their first since 2008's monumental Black Ice, and a '40th Anniversary' world tour,
40 huge shows across the globe."

Trying to figure out if I have a chance to see this band during a final tour is somehow outside the scope of this thread?

RobRocks
04-15-2014, 11:18 PM
A friend of AC/DC's Malcolm Young says the guitarist will not be able to perform with the band again due to an unspecified serious illness. Speaking to ABC Radio (as quoted by the Sydney Morning Herald), CHOIRBOYS singer Mark Gable, who has been friends with AC/DC "for years," said: "That is true, Malcolm is sick… From what I understand, and it's even been confirmed in part by his son Ross [Young]… It would appear Malcolm is unable to perform anymore. It's not just that he is unwell, it's that it is quite serious. It will constitute that he definitely won't be able to perform live. He will probably not be able to record."

However, Gable said that Young's illness may not necessarily stop the band from continuing with plans to celebrate its 40th anniversary by playing 40 shows around the world.

"There was speculation that they had this even tacit agreement that if no member currently was able to perform, AC/DC would cease," he said. "However Alex Young's son Stevie replaced Malcolm Young a few years back for a tour, and nobody knew the difference."

According to The Age, a source who knows the Young family has told Fairfax that Malcolm's condition has deteriorated so badly his wife Linda and family were investigating full-time respite care for the guitarist.

It is believed Young returned to Sydney with his family before Christmas and was having in-home care at his house in East Balmain. He is now said to be having difficulty remembering familiar faces and having increasing problems communicating.

"His memory loss is so bad it is consistent with Alzheimer's or dementia although we do not know that is what it is," the source said. "There has been talk about cancer too."

Australian music journalist Darryl Mason reported earlier in the week that Young suffered a stroke three weeks ago that has left a blood clot on his brain. The event reportedly happened just prior to the band reuniting at the start of April to begin rehearsals ahead of new album recording sessions planned for next month in Vancouver.

The new reports come just a day after rumors began circulating that AC/DC would be retiring.

The source of the original retirement rumor was an e-mail sent to Perth radio station 6PR from an anonymous tipster using the handle Thunderstruck. The station subsequently spread the word, setting off a flurry of reports first throughout Australia and then worldwide.

It should be noted, however, that the group's management and Columbia Records, its current label, have chosen not to comment on the matter, according to Billboard.com. In addition, Billboard.com quotes AC/DC "insiders" as insisting that there is no truth to these stories.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/friend-says-acdcs-malcolm-young-is-unable-to-perform-anymore/#tkh0Me0s7WfJEftR.99

cowboybiker
04-16-2014, 06:00 AM
The rumors of AC/DCs end have been greatly exaggerated.

eomrat
04-16-2014, 06:35 AM
What are you on about? The article he linked referred to a final tour:

"Plans were underway for a new studio album, their first since 2008's monumental Black Ice, and a '40th Anniversary' world tour,
40 huge shows across the globe."

Trying to figure out if I have a chance to see this band during a final tour is somehow outside the scope of this thread?

The scope of this thread is that the band is quitting as Malcolm Young can no longer play due to a stroke. The point of this thread is that is there is no tour.

steffo99
04-16-2014, 06:59 AM
The scope of this thread is that the band is quitting as Malcolm Young can no longer play due to a stroke. The point of this thread is that is there is no tour.
Alright, my bad then.

snacker
04-16-2014, 07:23 AM
According to their FB page band will continue to make music:

"After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the groupís diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his familyís privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music."

Can't link <50 posts.

Not sure if that means touring also.

piperdown
04-16-2014, 07:42 AM
One of my fav bands.
They've had a damn good run though and their songs will live on.

GreenWave1
04-16-2014, 09:45 AM
That really sucks. I hope Malcolm recovers.