PDA

View Full Version : So the topic on first take today..

bodyhard
04-15-2014, 09:51 AM
There are 3 MLB teams without black players and only 67 blacks in total...

I don't get it, you don't see other races complaining about not being in XX sport.

WTF am I missing something?

ChickenPauk
04-15-2014, 11:15 AM

I don't get it, you don't see other races complaining about not being in XX sport.

it is an odd thing to complain about - I'd think the stats are more so non-black in hockey as well. Also, in hockey a higher percentage of white than mlb. There's a large population of non-white in the mlb. Maybe not black, but Hispanic, etc.

Seems like if there is complaining to be done, it would be in that sport as the higher disproportion.

Jbizzlechizzle
04-15-2014, 11:18 AM

Not listening or watching First Take today, but they're probably talking about baseball's lack of popularity among black kids. Basketball and football are a much more popular with them. I've heard similar sentiment in the media about the dwindling number of white players in the NBA and the small (but growing) percentage of black quarterbacks in the NCAA and NFL.

thnikkaman
04-15-2014, 11:36 AM
I think the bigger issue here is why are you paying First Take with your attention?

ESPN has become Sports Tabloids.

adkins0311
04-15-2014, 11:38 AM
That's all any discussion seems to turn to on there anymore bc Stephen a smiths phaggot ass turns it into a race debate n skips to beta to disagree,,,I mean for **** sake it's the same way in the nba not having alotta white players

mslman71
04-15-2014, 11:48 AM
.. n skips to beta to disagree,,,I mean for **** sake

http://produceonparade.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/doc01.png

bodyhard
04-15-2014, 11:48 AM
I found it really weird/odd for this topic to be taking place when so many other sports have majorities, like Hockey with whites, Basketball with blacks.

Just seems like a stupid topic to be arguing over.

mslman71
04-15-2014, 11:50 AM

That never stopped anyone, especially someone who gets paid to fill air time.

thnikkaman
04-15-2014, 11:54 AM

Right? Isn't this the same show that could have been called First Tebow for 3 years?

Karl_Hungus
04-15-2014, 12:22 PM

People get a lot of mileage out of inventing phony racial controversies. The media does it all the time.

bodyhard
04-15-2014, 12:33 PM

Yeah but he was so adamant about it, like he took it personal, ya feel me?

mslman71
04-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Yeah but he was so adamant about it, like he took it personal, ya feel me?

Beats me, maybe he's gotten to believing his own bull****?

I don't voluntarily listen to sports radio of any sort and when I do hear it in the background it's like nails on a chalkboard (just like the political programs).

bodyhard
04-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Beats me, maybe he's gotten to believing his own bull****?

I don't voluntarily listen to sports radio of any sort and when I do hear it in the background it's like nails on a chalkboard (just like the political programs).

Sports RADIO?? It is on TV, didn't even know he had a radio show as well lol

mslman71
04-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Sports RADIO?? It is on TV, didn't even know he had a radio show as well lol

Sorry, I was using that term generically to refer to all sports shows that only talk about sports.

so-tex
04-15-2014, 01:31 PM
That never stopped anyone, especially someone who gets paid to fill air time.Yup.

People get a lot of mileage out of inventing phony racial controversies. The media does it all the time.It doesn't have to necessarily have to be racial controversy, but it's probably the easiest one.

Yeah but he was so adamant about it, like he took it personal, ya feel me?These guys are all great actors, whether it's sports or politics. You have to sell the product if you wanna make the big $$$.

Jbizzlechizzle
04-15-2014, 02:29 PM
I think the bigger issue here is why are you paying First Take with your attention?

ESPN has become Sports Tabloids.

This is largely true, but not in all cases. ESPN is in the entertainment business. Entertainment first... sports second. Controversial topics = better ratings = more $$$$ for the network

Oceanside
04-15-2014, 03:30 PM

for the last 15-20 years the majority of baseball talent at the kids level is from year round leagues (travel teams)...and they cost money to be involved in, simple fact of the matter is these days is you want your kid to be a factor even at the high school level, you're gonna have to shell out the time and MONEY to get him to a higher level.

Bando
04-15-2014, 06:49 PM
for the last 15-20 years the majority of baseball talent at the kids level is from year round leagues (travel teams)...and they cost money to be involved in, simple fact of the matter is these days is you want your kid to be a factor even at the high school level, you're gonna have to shell out the time and MONEY to get him to a higher level.

Those are American travel teams. In Panama, Mariano Riviera used a glove he made out of an old milk carton until he got his first leather glove at age 12.

Brackneyc
04-15-2014, 06:51 PM
This is largely true, but not in all cases. ESPN is in the entertainment business. Entertainment first... sports second. Controversial topics = better ratings = more $$$$ for the network

They brought Olberman back....now the conversion to totally sucking is complete.

Oceanside
04-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Those are American travel teams. In Panama, Mariano Riviera used a glove he made out of an old milk carton until he got his first leather glove at age 12.

BH was referencing African Americans

Bando
04-15-2014, 06:55 PM
BH was referencing African Americans

Nope, he said "Blacks"

SP1966
04-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Funny stuff! I follow the Timberwolves a bit and last year the team was so white that we were joking they needed to sign Birdman to add some color!

http://ncwtv.com/nn/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/b164162781444.jpg

Oceanside
04-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Nope, he said "Blacks"

rep me "whitey"

Bando
04-15-2014, 10:41 PM
rep me "whitey"

I took this screenshot a little while back. My Desktop picture. A man who played with a fukking milk carton on his hand as a child.

http://i.imgur.com/Yp9IG61l.jpg

pharmamarketer
04-16-2014, 03:57 AM
I found it really weird/odd for this topic to be taking place when so many other sports have majorities, like Hockey with whites, Basketball with blacks.

It is stupid. So now we have to have a certain number of each race in every sport? Then we can give trophies to everyone too and have 8th place ribbons as well.

beachguy498
04-16-2014, 06:07 AM
I was reading something about this, forget if it was in ESPN or SI. It seems that most black BB players came up out of inner city programs, which have dwindled drastically in recent years. These were were the grade school teams that fed the high school teams that fed the college teams and so on.

Rob

superman713
04-16-2014, 07:23 AM
he always tries to turn everything into a race issue... He's the Jessie Jackson/Al Sharpton of sports.

quicksand jesus
04-16-2014, 08:19 AM

Since the majority of young black kids are not playing sandlot ball anymore ( lack of fields for one) it is no surprise that the MLB only has 67 blacks.

crupiea
04-16-2014, 09:43 AM
There is money to be made by keeping stupid arguments like this going. Thats why its still an issue.

Does anyone here think that a professional sports team would pass over a player because of his skin color?

Thats asinine but the media and race peddlers would have us believe that is exactly what is happening.

The real problem is that people are so ****ing stupid they actually believe it.

acrawlingchaos
04-16-2014, 10:07 AM
I don't know many black people that watch baseball, or even discuss it. Coupled with being a small minority in the professional game, I am inclined to believe that baseball may not be a game the black community is interested in.

Or maybe the MLB is racist, I don't know.

DocHoss
04-16-2014, 10:52 AM
It is stupid. So now we have to have a certain number of each race in every sport? Then we can give trophies to everyone too and have 8th place ribbons as well.

http://www.boredpanda.org/system/wp-content/plugins/copyrightWrapper/watermark.php?display=true&image=http://www.boredpanda.org/system/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/you-had-one-job-funny-fails-54.jpg

Jtbny
04-16-2014, 11:24 AM
This topic comes up every year on Jackie Robinson day. Nothing new here.

beachguy498
04-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Since the majority of young black kids are not playing sandlot ball anymore ( lack of fields for one) it is no surprise that the MLB only has 67 blacks.

Most city kids played in PAL style entry-leagues, which I understand are greatly unfunded in recent years. Black kids gravitate towards basketball and football over baseball. But you get out of the US and head to Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, etc. These kids play baseball all day, every day. There is tremendous local support for Little League and other BB programs. They fully recognize it as a way out for their kids. My nephew spent 10 days one summer playing on a travel team visiting Puerto Rico when he was in HS. They played every day and had a great time and he observed that the kids playing there were better than many of kids playing in the US.

Rob

quicksand jesus
04-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Most city kids played in PAL style entry-leagues, which I understand are greatly unfunded in recent years. Black kids gravitate towards basketball and football over baseball. But you get out of the US and head to Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Cuba, etc. These kids play baseball all day, every day. There is tremendous local support for Little League and other BB programs. They fully recognize it as a way out for their kids. My nephew spent 10 days one summer playing on a travel team visiting Puerto Rico when he was in HS. They played every day and had a great time and he observed that the kids playing there were better than many of kids playing in the US.

Rob

Well said Rob!

x-trainer ben
04-16-2014, 02:35 PM
I don't know first take but did hear a discussion about jackie r day and hank Aaron.

MLB outsourced recruiting from cities and building fields and programs here, to latin countries. The result 19% down to 7% currently. Aaron was asked about this and said, now the klan wears suits ties and preppy clothes(his idea) so the representation is white and hispanic(where they created programs) to this date.

Other thoughts by the sports talk guys were that baseball wasn't sexy, less chance to earn a scholarship, and more "flash" in the other sports where representation is higher.

Who knows?

OutdoorsinCO
04-16-2014, 03:27 PM
he always tries to turn everything into a race issue... He's the Jessie Jackson/Al Sharpton of sports.

Any time I see Stephen Smith on a sports channel I turn it.