PDA

View Full Version : I'm shorter than I thought I was..... :/

JonnyStead
04-14-2014, 09:09 AM
Went to the Docs today - they measured me. 5' 7 & 1/2" - when I thought I was 5' 9" -

On the one hand depressing (but I suspected) but on the other hand makes my weight look a little more decent -

I swear I used to be taller than this - I think squats have shrunk me

End of update :D

richieOTF
04-14-2014, 09:19 AM
I felt i was 5 '9 as well, although I am actually a bit under 5 '7.5 which I found out about a year ago. Also, I think because I have long legs/arms people do not realise I am on the shorter side, although I hope to gain another inch or two

SP1966
04-14-2014, 09:22 AM
You went from being superior to the 5'8" crew to coming up just short! :eek:

MarkDL
04-14-2014, 09:50 AM
Yea, I know how it can suck. I've always told folks I was 6' 3". Found out from doc I was only 6' 2.75". Feelsbadman. :(

sumolgi
04-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Went to the Docs today - they measured me. 5' 7 & 1/2" - when I thought I was 5' 9" -

On the one hand depressing (but I suspected) but on the other hand makes my weight look a little more decent -

LOL, welcome to the club. The funny thing is your reach is probably the same as before. I'm 5'7" with a 71" wingspan now. I'm really self conscious about wearing those vibram FF's in public now because I look way too much like an escaped gorilla ;)

DuracellBunny
04-14-2014, 10:13 AM

I see what you did there :)

TnRob
04-14-2014, 10:37 AM

Apparently you weren't puking enough or mindlessly talking gibberish at the bottom of those squats.

bodyhard
04-14-2014, 10:55 AM

Man if squats can make me shorter I would do them every day!!

Man how I wish I was shorter :(

Beachease
04-14-2014, 10:57 AM

wot?

Karl_Hungus
04-14-2014, 11:04 AM

Wouldn't that make you a worse fighter? Because of your shorter reach?

Old-Time-Lifter
04-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Back when I did modeling everyone lied about their height. I used to tell people during interviews that I was actually 5'8" and not just 5'6" claiming to be 5'8" but actually and honestly 5'8".

;) LOL

Not sure I'm buying the thinking you're 5'9" and actually 5'7".... unfortunately for you the 5'8" crew does not allow rounding up to join our awesomeness... :p

bodyhard
04-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Wouldn't that make you a worse fighter? Because of your shorter reach?

Not really, I would just work the body more...but even if it did, I am into my physique more so than my fighting ability. And I always thought (still do) shorter bodybuilders appear more muscular than taller bodybuilders.

frozensparky
04-14-2014, 02:00 PM

As long as your wife doesn't realize you add an inch and a half to all your measurements you should be ok still

GuyJin
04-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Look at it this way, OP, short guys build muscle faster.

It's a broscience fact. Embrace the vertical impairment. It'll be easier for you to reach the keyboard, too!

:D

BusterMudd
04-14-2014, 02:43 PM
I lost a quarter of an inch sometime in the past 10 or 15 years. I was exactly 72" from the time I was 17 years old right up until my last physical, when the doctor put me on the stupid Heightometer™ and it said 71.75"

I was crushed.

doughnutgut
04-14-2014, 03:47 PM
I woke up after a drunken crazy night once, next to some lady that I was sure was a HBB the night before.

I can tell you that I lost a few inches on the sight of her in the morning.

Corbi
04-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Supposedly as we age our spines "settle" and we lose a bit of height. I used to be an even 6'3" now on a good day it's a hair under 6'2".

cowboybiker
04-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Manlets

paolo59
04-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Manlets

Ha! I'm at least 6 feet tall in my mind. :) I may be the size of a Chihuahua, but I strut like a Doberman! :) Any more disparaging remarks from you, and I'll take a piss on your leg! :)

Frnkd
04-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Now is that bone pressed?.................

Oh wait wrong measurement......oops

cowboybiker
04-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Being a manlet has its plus side.

Shorter range of motion.

djflex
04-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Well, i found out i was uglier than i thought i was ...

cowboybiker
04-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Well, i found out i was uglier than i thought i was ...

I thought you knew.

hmmmm16417
04-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Not really, I would just work the body more...but even if it did, I am into my physique more so than my fighting ability. And I always thought (still do) shorter bodybuilders appear more muscular than taller bodybuilders.
They absolutely do "appear" to bulk quicker. Being 6'1" and my old lifting partner was 5'8" and he seemed to look more bulked than me quick....but I was able to look leaner....so I guess there is a silver lining. Lol. I knew some short guys that were very quick and saw them take down guys that had 6+ inches on them in a quick hury. Element of surprise is the ultimate weapon. Small combined with speed and accuracy is a great combo....thats why bullets are so deadly :)

djflex
04-14-2014, 06:36 PM
I thought you knew.

I always suspected

GuyJin
04-14-2014, 07:10 PM
I always suspected
---
Send CBB noodz with your head out of the shadows. Dude always wants proof.

cowboybiker
04-14-2014, 07:15 PM
---

No thanks.

It would ruin the fantasy.

(no homo)

djflex
04-14-2014, 07:37 PM
---

No , i must stay in the shadows.

bodyhard
04-15-2014, 05:28 AM
They absolutely do "appear" to bulk quicker. Being 6'1" and my old lifting partner was 5'8" and he seemed to look more bulked than me quick....but I was able to look leaner....so I guess there is a silver lining. Lol. I knew some short guys that were very quick and saw them take down guys that had 6+ inches on them in a quick hury. Element of surprise is the ultimate weapon. Small combined with speed and accuracy is a great combo....thats why bullets are so deadly :)

Since I am thin I appear taller and it drives me nuts. With clothes on I am OK but once I have shorts and no shirt I appear "longer" sucks really :(

As for the fighting at 5'8" I am short and have yet to lose a fight to a taller guy. The hardest fight I have ever had was with a guy who was like 5'3 or 5'5" The easiest fight I had was with a bouncer at a club, I think he was like 6'4" or something, I dropped him with like two shots.

ajdahlheimer
04-15-2014, 05:32 AM
Since I am thin I appear taller and it drives me nuts. With clothes on I am OK but once I have shorts and no shirt I appear "longer" sucks really :(

I actually have the opposite problem cuz I'm so broad/thick, BH. I'm just a smidge under 5-11, but people always think I'm much much shorter than that cuz I'm all chest/shoulders. I also have really short arms.

bodyhard
04-15-2014, 05:39 AM
I actually have the opposite problem cuz I'm so broad/thick, BH. I'm just a smidge under 5-11, but people always think I'm much much shorter than that cuz I'm all chest/shoulders. I also have really short arms.

I can see that, it is like an illusion. Just like wearing a shirt with parallel lines going up and down VS wearing a shirt with parallel lines going side to side.

cowboybiker
04-15-2014, 05:40 AM
No , i must stay in the shadows.

Are you Batman?

ajdahlheimer
04-15-2014, 05:50 AM
I can see that, it is like an illusion. Just like wearing a shirt with parallel lines going up and down VS wearing a shirt with parallel lines going side to side.

I have a large group of buddies that I only see once a year for a football tailgating party--but we chat online all the time and they all rip on me for being short. Then when the date of the party arrives and I see all of them--I'm taller than a lot of them. LOL.

bodyhard
04-15-2014, 06:11 AM
I have a large group of buddies that I only see once a year for a football tailgating party--but we chat online all the time and they all rip on me for being short. Then when the date of the party arrives and I see all of them--I'm taller than a lot of them. LOL.

I had this friend/coworker (had because we are no longer friends haven't seem him in years), he was a tall dude, maybe 6'3 6'5"? pretty kool but for some reason he was into tall vs short. Meaning he thought being tall in some way was superior or some sh!t, hard to explain. Anyway in the beginning when we first me I didn't really notice it, but he would always throw little jabs at me, like if we were walking he would put his hand over my head (not touching me) and be like, "Damn you are a little guy" or if we were at the gym, he would say stupid sh!t like, you sure you can reach the floor, when I would do bench, just stupid little ****

One day he and I were walking in Manhattan and we stumbled onto one of my friends from the hood that I had not seen in maybe 2 years or so. He started talking to me about my fighting and how people knew not to f'ck with me yadda yadda yadda.

So as we are walking back to the office he starts his sh!t with the "What is that guy talking about, a little guy like you, beating people up?, what the hell people in your hood are all midgets?

I turned to him and told him, you know I am tired of your sh!t, one thing led to another and I laid him out and left him right in the middle of Wall street closer to Broadway.

Almost lost my job over it, but it was worth it.

ajdahlheimer
04-15-2014, 06:13 AM
Damn. You sent dat whore home in a taxi! Good job!

bodyhard
04-15-2014, 06:19 AM
Damn. You sent dat whore home in a taxi! Good job!

The thing is he was really a kool dude man. He helped my son land a job with a friend of his in construction, he got my youngest son back stage passes to see Peekachoo (sp) and meet him he helped me move my entire furniture to my new home. really not a bad dude at all.

ajdahlheimer
04-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Well in that case, maybe it's time to start the healin'?

bodyhard
04-15-2014, 06:36 AM
Well in that case, maybe it's time to start the healin'?

This was years ago, I don't even know if he is still in NY.

ajdahlheimer
04-15-2014, 06:42 AM
This was years ago, I don't even know if he is still in NY.

Probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out, brah. Check his linkedin or FB.

bodyhard
04-15-2014, 06:50 AM
Probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out, brah. Check his linkedin or FB.

Ohh I could find him if I wanted to, but I just don't see the need to do so. But who knows maybe after writing about this I might just do that.

djflex
04-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Are you Batman?

No, but i am ugly. I thought we already covered this?

JonnyStead
04-17-2014, 07:18 AM
Yea, I know how it can suck. I've always told folks I was 6' 3". Found out from doc I was only 6' 2.75". Feelsbadman. :(

LOL, welcome to the club. The funny thing is your reach is probably the same as before. I'm 5'7" with a 71" wingspan now. I'm really self conscious about wearing those vibram FF's in public now because I look way too much like an escaped gorilla ;)

Apparently you weren't puking enough or mindlessly talking gibberish at the bottom of those squats.

Back when I did modeling everyone lied about their height. I used to tell people during interviews that I was actually 5'8" and not just 5'6" claiming to be 5'8" but actually and honestly 5'8".

;) LOL

Not sure I'm buying the thinking you're 5'9" and actually 5'7".... unfortunately for you the 5'8" crew does not allow rounding up to join our awesomeness... :p

As long as your wife doesn't realize you add an inch and a half to all your measurements you should be ok still

Look at it this way, OP, short guys build muscle faster.

It's a broscience fact. Embrace the vertical impairment. It'll be easier for you to reach the keyboard, too!

No, but i am ugly. I thought we already covered this?

thanks guys for all the cool comments :)

I've embraced the shortness now. I don't even pine for the 5' 8 crew - it's like I passed right past it. If only I didnt have the bone structure of a 14 year old girl - I could focus on piling on muscle but I'm a slow gainer. Getting pretty happy with my overall shape though. I just need to pile on about 30 pounds like John and then I'll be sorted :)

bodyhard
04-17-2014, 04:05 PM
thanks guys for all the cool comments :)

I've embraced the shortness now. I don't even pine for the 5' 8 crew - it's like I passed right past it. If only I didnt have the bone structure of a 14 year old girl - I could focus on piling on muscle but I'm a slow gainer. Getting pretty happy with my overall shape though. I just need to pile on about 30 pounds like John and then I'll be sorted :)

So whats your secret man, how do I get shorter?

JonnyStead
04-24-2014, 02:22 AM
So whats your secret man, how do I get shorter?

I think the squats did it to me IMHO - I'm not built heavy, I have really thin bones so I think they compressed me a bit! But can't be certain ;o)

Same question to you - how do I bang on about 30lbs of muscle? You've done it more than once!

jeffaus
04-24-2014, 02:37 AM
Not really, I would just work the body more...but even if it did, I am into my physique more so than my fighting ability. And I always thought (still do) shorter bodybuilders appear more muscular than taller bodybuilders.True dat