PDA

View Full Version : Working out alone vs with a co-worker

djdrdave
04-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Over the years I have mainly worked out alone. On occasion I would workout with friends but I enjoy the time savings of working out alone and the freedom it gives me to decide the day of the workout what I want to focus on and make changes depending on how I am feeling.

I just started a new job and joined a new gym in a new town. I mentioned this to a coworker who decided to join the same gym as well and seems to want a workout partner. He and I have talked and he has a list of things he wants to do and suggested a schedule for us.

I am willing to workout with someone on occasion but like the freedom of doing my own thing. I also don't want to talk about work all the time at the workout. I workout in the morning and like the energy it gives me for the day.

Just wondering if any of you have ran into this before and if you have any suggestions for how to politely do my own thing. I don't mind working out with someone on occasion but I like the time savings of doing my own thing

frozensparky
04-13-2014, 08:00 AM
Workout with him once. Wear compression pants and shirt so you look like a gay super hero. Spot him on every lift very closely while whispering in a very creepy tone that he looks good. Whisper things in his ear like "that rep was sexy". Also smell his hair and ask him what shampoo he uses or just growl. Don't forget to spot him doing barbell curls from behind like a guy trying to teach a girl to shoot pool. After the workout try and convince him to hit the showers. After doing all this you should be free to workout alone or possibly have a whole new set of problems.

djdrdave
04-13-2014, 08:07 AM
Workout with him once. Wear compression pants and shirt so you look like a gay super hero. Spot him on every lift very closely while whispering in a very creepy tone that he looks good. Whisper things in his ear like "that rep was sexy". Also smell his hair and ask him what shampoo he uses or just growl. Don't forget to spot him doing barbell curls from behind like a guy trying to teach a girl to shoot pool. After the workout try and convince him to hit the showers. After doing all this you should be free to workout alone or possibly have a whole new set of problems.

Haha that is funny, but I was thinking of something more subtle like telling him I mix up my workout every day so can join him on occasion, but won't be doing the same workout all the time. I do have to work with him as we are in the same group so the superhero thing probably isn't my thing. Not that there is anything wrong with it lol

marinevet63031
04-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Well, I am a Lone Ranger in the gym bro's. If I don't do what I want and how I want it then well I get really cheesed.

djdrdave
04-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Well, I am a Lone Ranger in the gym bro's. If I don't do what I want and how I want it then well I get really cheesed.

I agree. I kind of have my routine and I like it. Oh we'll I will lift and meet him tomorrow for some cardio but won't commit to any particular schedule

poker123
04-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Let me tell u op
Im like u
I want to make my own schedule and have freedom to come in whenever I want and not feel obligated.
Also, unless he is as dedicated as u, he aint going often and will quit soon.

U just have to honest with him and tell him, u have a busy schedule and cannot promise him that u can go every time together, that way he knows.

Partners are good but only good if u have a dedicated partner

Phattso
04-13-2014, 09:39 AM
I have had partners years ago and it's nice if you get along and can move at a good pace. But, for now, I workout alone because with a partner, it almost doubles the time in the gym and you are waiting on him or her to get to the gym sometimes and vice versa. Never works out for the long term.

Fishman15
04-13-2014, 10:03 AM
I have had partners years ago and it's nice if you get a long and can move at a good pace. But, for now, I workout alone because with a partner, it almost doubles the time in the gym and you are waiting on him or her to get to the gym sometimes and vice versa. Never works out for the long term.

Yup, I see a couple of my gym buddies working out together and it is just agony watching how long it takes them to get through a workout. Yak, yak, yakity, yak...no thanks! Not only are they yaking to each other, they go up to other people and yak some more. Gym is not social hour...for me anyway. I do what I want when I want for how long i want. My body dictates those details not a workout partner...

paolo59
04-13-2014, 10:14 AM
I've always worked out alone. I did have a trainer for a couple of years off and on. It is helpful to have a workout partner when you need spotting on a regular basis. But on the whole, it's just much more comfortable for me to train by myself. There was a group, 3 dudes who used to workout at my gym. The comraderie was nice I guess, but they could take a long time to get through their sets. In a commercial gym setting that's not always the best thing, being mindful of other patrons' access to equipment. I can get in and get out quick when I train alone.

mikieson
04-13-2014, 11:54 AM
i workedout by myself and loved it..partners are just in the way. Even when benching..and knowing you have nobody there to help makes you push harder..just my opinion.

Corbi
04-13-2014, 12:11 PM
I at times work out with a couple guys from work but we tend to do our own thing for the most part. Will spot each other but with the exception of DL's we typically don't actually share a routine.

Frnkd
04-13-2014, 12:32 PM
The only workout partner I have is my wife.....the way we work out is like playing golf. once we tee off we never see each other until the next tee, which is in passing. "how is it going" I ask, "good" she answers catching her breath.....than we move on.
That works for me. When she needs advice or a spot she will look for me. I dont trust her to spot me though....hahaha. :D

Ive worked out with my trainer a few times during off PT days, and though it is fun, I find the situation intimidating as I still find myself fumbling around in the gym,I have learned how to properly spot and pace ourselves when working with a partner. Something I don't have the opportunity to do when he is training me.

StressMonkey
04-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Just tell him that.

I'd rather some be straight up with me with situation like this one.

Karl_Hungus
04-13-2014, 01:48 PM
I at times work out with a couple guys from work but we tend to do our own thing for the most part. Will spot each other but with the exception of DL's we typically don't actually share a routine.

^^ I think this is the way to do it. You can do your own thing without having to be constrained by what somebody else wants to do.

djdrdave
04-14-2014, 01:58 AM
^^ I think this is the way to do it. You can do your own thing without having to be constrained by what somebody else wants to do.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will let you know how it goes. I see i am not alone in preferring to workout alone.

ticklemeelbow
04-14-2014, 03:27 AM
People hint at this all the time with me. I'm a blunt guy and tell 'em straight up that I go solo. I go to the gym when there are little to nobody there for a reason. I also get requests to set them up with a workout schedule, but I never get enough information from them to start them on one...either that or they're already doing something that is good enough.