PDA

View Full Version : Teach me a little bit about cutting/bulking/maintaining body weight, please.

ivyfpop
04-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Alright, so I'm 166 pounds now and I'm currently trying to get my weight up so I can cut (bulking up and lifting so I can cut back down). Now, at 161 pounds I was 9% body fat, If I'm trying to gain muscle and weight by bulking what should I be trying to intake the most (protein/carbs/fat wise) and what should I be looking to do about this, I'm relatively new to the bulking and cutting. Seeing as I have prom on may 4th I would like to be back to a reasonably good looking weight by then (we are going to a water park for post prom). Let me know what I should be doing to gain muscle and teach me a little about cutting/bulking/ and just maintaining my body weight. I believe that my macros I've been trying to hit are below, but I'm only a day in so I'm not really hitting them yet and trying to adjust to things a little better before I get full fledged into it. Let me know anything else you may need. Oh I forgot, I recently got out of surgery and so I lost a lot of weight and muscle from it(Was puking a lot up until the surgery) ( I was 9% body fat before I went in so I could have came out less but I believe I've gained enough of it back in these past few weeks)
3300 KCalories (3234 calories listed below)
165 Grams per day (Protein)(660 Calories)
66 Grams per day (Fat) (594 calories)
495 Grams per day (Carbs) (1980 Calories)

PerezEddie
04-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Macros look good, if you are gaining weight with this diet then continue to do do just that. Seems like you already know about cuttings/bulking.

Eating at maintenance = maintaining
Eating at a deficit = lose weight/fat
Eating at a surplus = gain weight/muscle

If you are not gaining weight then look up an online TDEE calculator (TDEE = total daily energy expenditure, the amount of calories your body burns on a daily basis) to get a rough estimate. From there eat at a caloric surplus of 300-500. So for example..

If your TDEE (maintenance) is 3000 then you would eat 3300-3500 each n every day. Hope this helps, oh and read some stickies😉

bigirck
04-08-2014, 10:33 PM
This is what I tell most people. Google a guy called Casey Butt and his rules.

Mrpb
04-08-2014, 11:46 PM
Let me know what I should be doing to gain muscle and teach me a little about cutting/bulking/ and just maintaining my body weight.

Good starting point:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-secrets.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html