PDA

View Full Version : Eating Right When Never Home

Haayyeess
04-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Hey Ladies and Gents!

I got a question for you folks. I truly dislike processed foods, and not being able to eat hearty meals, much as i'm sure you do too.

The trouble is, with such a tight time schedule being a student juggling school, work, homework and lifting weights, it often gets tough to eat properly.

I'm away from home literally more than 80% of the day. I wake up around 7:00 each morning, leave for school around 8, home again at 3:40 to binge eat before going to work at 4, until I can finally come home again at 8 to start up my homework, eat some more, then lift before going to bed. (Yes, it often feels like i'm living an endless circle. Which gets especially bad when I have accumulated loss of sleep. It's unfortunate I have trouble getting 7 hours a night.)

I wanted to know what you guys do to balance your every day life with your fitness goals. How do you manage to consume adequate healthy amounts of foods? The only true hearty meal (on average) I get a day is my breakfast. I hate to say it, but it's true.

Some days it's impractical to eat during school because as a strong academic student I often find I need to spend a little extra time on homework and assignments.

There will be days i'll come home from school and search endlessly for a solid balanced meal before having to take off once again for work.

Do you have any tips or advice? What are some good solid meals for away from home? A meal plan sort of thing would be awesome! Keep in mind I really don't have much free time, so I can't spent much time preparing meals.
P.S. My time management skills are pretty good, so other than the few needed distractions to stay sane, I keep on task eliminating priorities first.

Thanks for the support!

batbatmanne
04-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Find the time to cook food in bulk to make meals that are easily accessible throughout the week. Nobody can tell you what a "balanced" meal is because it can only be judged based in context of the rest of your diet.

StrengthPlease
04-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Suggestion #1: I would definitely focus on cooking some bulk foods you can have all week. Even if you start simple by cooking a bunch of brown rice, and keeping it in a tupperware in the fridge for easy access. Pull out the rice, toss a chicken breast in the pan for ~8 minutes with some olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, etc. You've got a decent meal. When you're doing your homework at night you can boil up pastas, rice, steam veggies, boil or bake potatoes; all while hitting the books. When you're done you'll have a nice meal waiting for you. Some of these suggestions may sound simple, or bland, but it's all about getting started in the routines and then tweaking your meals to your tastes.

Suggestion #2: Invest in a CROCKPOT! These are great tools for putting a bunch of delicious ingredients together in the morning and having a meal ready for you (and some left over) when you have that 30 minute window between work and school.

Suggestion #3: Eat a HUGE breakfast. Go ahead and get a ton of your daily calories from breakfast. Include whole grains and green veggies to slow the digestion and prolong the nutrient release. That will help you stay full longer, and give you plenty of macros for your day.

Suggestion #4: Make a good protein shake and take it with you in a little lunch cooler with an ice pack. Toss in a few other snacks like carrots, or pita and hummus to eat between class. Shake can include quality whey protein/casein blend if you'd like, oats, peanut butter, banana, fruits, whatever you'd like.

You may have limited time, but can make the best of that time with some tactical meal preparation. Hope that helps!

Haayyeess
04-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Suggestion #1: I would definitely focus on cooking some bulk foods you can have all week. Even if you start simple by cooking a bunch of brown rice, and keeping it in a tupperware in the fridge for easy access. Pull out the rice, toss a chicken breast in the pan for ~8 minutes with some olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, etc. You've got a decent meal. When you're doing your homework at night you can boil up pastas, rice, steam veggies, boil or bake potatoes; all while hitting the books. When you're done you'll have a nice meal waiting for you. Some of these suggestions may sound simple, or bland, but it's all about getting started in the routines and then tweaking your meals to your tastes.

Suggestion #2: Invest in a CROCKPOT! These are great tools for putting a bunch of delicious ingredients together in the morning and having a meal ready for you (and some left over) when you have that 30 minute window between work and school.

Suggestion #3: Eat a HUGE breakfast. Go ahead and get a ton of your daily calories from breakfast. Include whole grains and green veggies to slow the digestion and prolong the nutrient release. That will help you stay full longer, and give you plenty of macros for your day.

Suggestion #4: Make a good protein shake and take it with you in a little lunch cooler with an ice pack. Toss in a few other snacks like carrots, or pita and hummus to eat between class. Shake can include quality whey protein/casein blend if you'd like, oats, peanut butter, banana, fruits, whatever you'd like.

You may have limited time, but can make the best of that time with some tactical meal preparation. Hope that helps!

Awesome tips! I can tell you've have/had a similar situation. I'll take all of that into consideration.

StrengthPlease
04-08-2014, 06:58 PM
^ Haha yeah I was in school and then had a work schedule that just didn't allow much time for full meals. It can be a pain for the first week or so but you get used to it quickly and then get satisfaction knowing you've got a good meal waiting for you with little prep/cleanup when you get home.

Haayyeess
04-08-2014, 07:03 PM
^ Haha yeah I was in school and then had a work schedule that just didn't allow much time for full meals. It can be a pain for the first week or so but you get used to it quickly and then get satisfaction knowing you've got a good meal waiting for you with little prep/cleanup when you get home.
There's nothing better than a solid home cooked meal that's awaiting your arrival! What are some good away from home snacks? I normally leave my shake for post workout. Obviously fruits and vegetables are always good choices, but do you have any other recommendations/favourites?

StrengthPlease
04-08-2014, 07:11 PM
My #1 snack is probably ***e greek yogurts, high protein and no fat if you choose the 0% version. I started eating the ones with fruit in them, and once more accustomed to the taste I just eat the plain ones with a couple of berries added on my own and 1/4 cup of granola. You can keep these ingredients separate in your cooler and combine them all at once for freshness. The fruit ones are fine, but they have higher sugar and I prefer to add my own fruits. I'd recommend ***e or Chobani or organic, some others have corn syrup and other added sugars that aren't necessary for a good diet.

Other things I like on the go are Honeycrisp apples, Trader Joes granola bars (all different kinds but I shoot for healthy/low fats, good carbs), lowfat string cheese, PB&J on whole wheat bread, little tub of berries, and I mentioned carrots. There are some good protein bars out there but I was never a fan just because it's hard to find ones with quality ingredients and not a bunch of crap additives. Some guys/gals on here know of some good ones and I'm sure you could find info on them by searching, then order a bulk pack online or something.

Edit: lol it won't let me type - f a g e - But Faye it's pronounced, I'm sure you know the ones

Ej63090
04-08-2014, 07:22 PM
My #1 snack is probably ***e greek yogurts, high protein and no fat if you choose the 0% version. I started eating the ones with fruit in them, and once more accustomed to the taste I just eat the plain ones with a couple of berries added on my own and 1/4 cup of granola. You can keep these ingredients separate in your cooler and combine them all at once for freshness. The fruit ones are fine, but they have higher sugar and I prefer to add my own fruits. I'd recommend ***e or Chobani or organic, some others have corn syrup and other added sugars that aren't necessary for a good diet.

Other things I like on the go are Honeycrisp apples, Trader Joes granola bars (all different kinds but I shoot for healthy/low fats, good carbs), lowfat string cheese, PB&J on whole wheat bread, little tub of berries, and I mentioned carrots. There are some good protein bars out there but I was never a fan just because it's hard to find ones with quality ingredients and not a bunch of crap additives. Some guys/gals on here know of some good ones and I'm sure you could find info on them by searching, then order a bulk pack online or something.

Edit: lol it won't let me type - f a g e - But Faye it's pronounced, I'm sure you know the ones

Thought it was funny that wouldn't let you type it out!

Haayyeess
04-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Okay, sounds pretty good! ^ Lol - I chuckled at that too.

loganhart
04-08-2014, 07:32 PM
I work 12 hour shifts, lift, play ice hockey, play ball hockey, play rugby, bartend on the weekends, teach bootcamp, and have 2 kids.

Eat when you can. As long as you hit your macros and caloric goals by the end of the day you're fine. I usually eat twice a day.

If you really want something you'll find the time to achieve it.