PDA

View Full Version : Type 1 diabetes and diet

miakbrown1
04-08-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm new on this forum and have a couple questions. First let me tell you that I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 29 years. You might not understand how this affects weight loss (and I'm not 100% sure either) but for those that don't know the difference between type 1 and 2 here it is: my body produces no insulin. It is an autoimmune disease and my body attacked the insulin producing cells and continues to do so. Most people have type 2 and I might get in trouble for saying this but that type is much easier to control than type 1.

Nevertheless, one of my major goals is to get a very defined stomach. I have a flat stomach and I workout five to six times a week (strength training as heavy as I can 3 days and cardio/intervals the other 3). I also don't eat any fried foods or a lot of sugar but I'm just not getting the definition I want and I know it has to do with my diet. Can someone please tell me about how many carbohydrates I should be eating a day? My body fat percentage is still completely unacceptable to me (around 24-25%) and I need suggestions. I'm very motivated and will do whatever is necessary.

The reason I brought up the diabetes is because I try to keep my blood sugars at normal levels as much as possible but there are going to be times when stuff happens and it goes out of flux. I can drop as low as 10 and be in convulsions and as high as 500 and almost be in ketosis (normal is between 80 to 120). When those blood sugars happen, the diet is completely screwed up. Are there any other type 1 diabetics on here that have found success with their weight loss goals?

Sorry for the long post

advanc3d
04-10-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm new on this forum and have a couple questions. First let me tell you that I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 29 years. You might not understand how this affects weight loss (and I'm not 100% sure either) but for those that don't know the difference between type 1 and 2 here it is: my body produces no insulin. It is an autoimmune disease and my body attacked the insulin producing cells and continues to do so. Most people have type 2 and I might get in trouble for saying this but that type is much easier to control than type 1.

Nevertheless, one of my major goals is to get a very defined stomach. I have a flat stomach and I workout five to six times a week (strength training as heavy as I can 3 days and cardio/intervals the other 3). I also don't eat any fried foods or a lot of sugar but I'm just not getting the definition I want and I know it has to do with my diet. Can someone please tell me about how many carbohydrates I should be eating a day? My body fat percentage is still completely unacceptable to me (around 24-25%) and I need suggestions. I'm very motivated and will do whatever is necessary.

The reason I brought up the diabetes is because I try to keep my blood sugars at normal levels as much as possible but there are going to be times when stuff happens and it goes out of flux. I can drop as low as 10 and be in convulsions and as high as 500 and almost be in ketosis (normal is between 80 to 120). When those blood sugars happen, the diet is completely screwed up. Are there any other type 1 diabetics on here that have found success with their weight loss goals?

Sorry for the long post

First of all read my posts http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=485093

Since i don't know your level of comprehension, ill say a few things.

our insulin is injected, rather than instantaneously released and controlled.
Once Injected, we are stuck with the half life.

for example, when they say eat low GI foods for slower absorption, well that's really to do with the insulin production in response to released glucose. Low GI and Hi GI in terms of weight management really applies to normal individuals, to diabetics it means lower postprandial glucose level since the action of insulin doesn't change whether its low GI or Hi GI.

second, we dont have Amylin production. usually when someone eats, hepatic glucose production stops, since there is no point in releasing glucose when feeding. Amylin's job is to do that, to stop the inappropriate secretion of glucagon. so hence insulin requirements are a LOT less with concurrent amylin = better weight and glucose management. Amylin also slows down gastric emptying. All these characteristics are in linear proprotion to the production of insulin since equal amounts of both are released.

third, as a diabetic, i always inject intramuscular considering we dont have first-pass response to glucose. also when food is detected in the stomach, even in the absence of carbs, glucagon is released in anticipation of carbs, which raises blood sugar..

fourth
when we exercise, a series of things occur, one of them is decrease in glycogen which in turn up-regulated GLUT4 on the muscles rather than fat cells, this sensitizes insulin receptors and glucose is further driven in the cell so blood sugar drops, in response less insulin is released; in response to that glucagon is raised in proportion to lowered insulin which aids in extra fuel from gluconeogensis. now that doesnt occur to any significant degree in diabetics, since your insulin is fixed when we inject our basal insulin, so when we exercise we dont produce glucagon because insulin levels are not dropping, therefore blood sugar just continues to drop, to counter that we need to ingest glucose, which defeats some of the effects of exercise.

fifth, we are more prone to insulin resistance considering our basal insulin doesnt go up and down during the day like it would normally.

sixth, because of these issues only way to lose weight in a very effective manner is to employ a ketogenic diet, which is explained by my posts in that thread.
i was 103kg, 27% fat, i lost 20 kg in 2 months and a further few kg in months thereafter, im currently plateauing at about 12% body fat which is the lowest ive been. only option now is yohimbine since this would work extremely well on a ketogenic diet since Insulin it self is a direct agonist of the Alpha-2 Adrenergic receptors. on ketogenic diet insulin is lowered by 80%, Alpha-2 is freed up and yohimbine will get you down to as low as you want

ELLSKIES
04-10-2014, 05:49 PM
Hmm, well diabetic or not, the laws of thermodynamics still apply of you're looking to lose bodyfat. Drop your calories a tad and adjust from there.

advanc3d
04-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Hmm, well diabetic or not, the laws of thermodynamics still apply of you're looking to lose bodyfat. Drop your calories a tad and adjust from there.

In theory that is correct, more so if you are able to instantaneously regulate endogenous insulin production inresponse to exercise which is the driver for fat mobilization or storage. diabetics dont have endogenous insulin production, and is very complicated process.
thermodynamics does not apply to insulin resistance, and a host of other things

health4life24
04-10-2014, 07:15 PM
I would advise you to speak to your physician about this before starting anything, because of the fact that you have a medical condition.

PBateman2
04-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Maybe talk to this member as well…has Type 1….

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/xstevenx/

ionseihastings
04-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Hi there!
Type one diabetic for 16 years now. Right now I'm in a bulking cycle (not cutting as you want) but I have gotten abs. I have an Animas Ping insulin pump with a CGM attached.

I'm on a fairly low carb diet (60g every other day except leg day which is 100g). It sounds like you're taking the root approach so far in keeping good bloodsugar control. When the occasional low blood sugar hits, you just count that in for your carbs for that day. So if I were to have 60g of carb, I usually have 30g carb, plain oatmeal in the morning and 30g of oatmeal or rice in the evening. But if I had a low, I'll usually have some fruit to correct theso I'll skip my carb in the evening/morning depending on when the low was. You always want to make sure your insulin is on point, too. You might find as you lose weight you become more sensitive to insulin. For 30g of carb I used to take 6units fast acting insulin. Now I need 5.7-5.8. It's a small correction but if I do the full 6units I know I'll crash later on.

As far as highs go, I wear a pump with a CGM. Your body will release glycogen, cortisol and all sorts of hormones that causes a slow but steady increase of glucose in your system. I should add that hyperglycemia due to hormone release is much more difficult to bring down that a skipped dose for a snack or meal. My CGM will alert me once I've hit 180 mg/dL at which point I increase my basal rate +50% for 2.5 hours (the duration of my workout and thirty minutes after).

Both highs and lows are added stress on your body. These are things I've found work for me. Be flexible with your eating, understanding you're going to have bad sugars sometimes but try to make that a very occasional thing. The more on point you can stay on your meal plan with good blood sugars the more progress you can make on your abs. Make sure you check with your doctor before making any insulin adjustments he hasn't approved you to make. What works for me won't necessarily work for you. Remember that abs are made in the kitchen if you have to eat more or have high blood sugar, that will definitely effect how sharp your abs look at any given time.

Be patient and kind to yourself. Don't put yourself in a guilt trip because you had a bad day. You're asking the right questions. Best of luck! :)

TypeOneAt46Yo
05-05-2018, 04:20 PM
I also just joined to reply to these Type 1 threads. I just got diagnosed at 46 YO after the usual thirst and blurry vision part of it.

Diagnosed a month ago and got back to the gym a week ago and I am putting muscle back on. I still don't know what I am doing and they have me on this sliding scale I read is kind of archaic. My muscles filled right back up.

I was so upset like anyone would be with the diagnosis but it seems going to the gym still works on my muscles. I was so scared I was just going to deteriorate from here on and be a skinny weak person, I was tripping.

Besides these threads that come up on searches it really is difficult to find any information on body building and Type 1.

I am male and 46, why it says 48 under my screen name I don't know.

Heisman2
05-05-2018, 08:07 PM
I also just joined to reply to these Type 1 threads. I just got diagnosed at 46 YO after the usual thirst and blurry vision part of it.

Diagnosed a month ago and got back to the gym a week ago and I am putting muscle back on. I still don't know what I am doing and they have me on this sliding scale I read is kind of archaic. My muscles filled right back up.

I was so upset like anyone would be with the diagnosis but it seems going to the gym still works on my muscles. I was so scared I was just going to deteriorate from here on and be a skinny weak person, I was tripping.

Besides these threads that come up on searches it really is difficult to find any information on body building and Type 1.

I am male and 46, why it says 48 under my screen name I don't know.

As long as you listen to your endocrinologist then once you get on a stable insulin regimen it should not hold you back much at all.