PDA

View Full Version : Cutting...

JordyQ
04-06-2014, 05:29 PM
So i've been bulking for a few months but my modelling agency needs me to get a show of abs. But due to the amount that i've been eating i've developed a small sort of belly. So i need to essentially go on a cutting phase for a month or two. Basically I wanted to know about diet. How many carbs/protein/ fats do I need to eat under maintenance in order to start losing weight? Are there any links people can provide where I can find this info? Also, if I want to keep my muscle gains, is it alright if I stick with my hypertrophy workout but just add more cardio? Any information and suggestions woud be greatly appreciated!

cheers!

ErMejo
04-06-2014, 05:48 PM
I am slowly learning about cutting and bulking, but my cut is still far away. However, I can share a few points with you, I hope that if I badly mess up somebody can correct the info, even yourself through own research and first hand experience.

You might find it convenient to reduce your calories intake gradually. 200 cal under maintenance can be done, 600 could be excessive. Reduction in the macros can be done, gradually. Give time to your metabolism to adjust. The amount of calories to cut depends on the deadline for you to lose weight. You can stick to your workout, but you will probably have trouble lifting the same amount when reducing your calories intake.

I find this videos (and related) interesting and quite insightful: www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A3gTGLulLnI

birdiefu
04-06-2014, 05:55 PM
If you've been tracking cals appropriately during your bulk, you should have a good idea of what your maintenance is at. Drop cals to 10-20% below your maintenance to cut, while maintaining at least your minimum grams of protein and fats (~170 protein, ~75 fats if you stats are correct), usually carbs tend to be dropped more when cutting as they are the least essential of macros.

Training is usually modified during a cut with reduced volume while keeping intensity (weight on the bar) up to conserve lbm. Cardio is not necessary (unless you enjoy it), use your diet to set your deficit. Depending on the person, cardio can induce an increase in hunger over that of cals burned and make the cut more miserable, but YMMV. I also would save it for later on down the road when leaner and you need something else to pull out of your bag of tricks if things start to stall.

Basically - lift heavy, keep protein and fats up, but set cals 10-20% below maintenance and you will be GTG.

JordyQ
04-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Thank you so much you guys have been a big help. No BS sarcastic answers just straight to the point, thank you :)