PDA

View Full Version : Ground beef leaner than 93/7?

MichaelKB
04-05-2014, 04:14 PM
I can't seem to find any ground beef leaner than 93/7. Can any I you point me in the right direction? 96+ would be great...

Domicron
04-05-2014, 04:16 PM
why so lean? 93 is about as lean as you can expect.

InItForFitness
04-05-2014, 04:17 PM
why so lean? 93 is about as lean as you can expect.

This^

ojanddooni
04-05-2014, 04:18 PM
95/5 is out there too

ghettocandyman
04-05-2014, 04:20 PM
u can find 97/3 nearly anywhere mane

MichaelKB
04-05-2014, 04:36 PM
95/5 is out there too

Got a place you frequent for this? Didn't see anything this lean at my local grocery store or Wal mart... Lol

bigdogfarmhand
04-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Fat is not bad

MichaelKB
04-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Fat is not bad

No but I'd rather have it from another source like avocados, nuts, olive oil, etc

bigdogfarmhand
04-05-2014, 04:39 PM
No but I'd rather have it from another source like avocados, nuts, olive oil, etc

Fair enough

Opportuniteas1
04-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Get your beef grass fed the fat is awesome for you. The price per pound in bulk it is usually cheaper than going to the grocery store for regular beef. The only downside is you've gotta buy more at once.

Check out eatwild for a local farm near you.
http://www.eatwild.com/PRODUCTS/index.html

eatyourspinach
04-05-2014, 04:53 PM
I mean you could buy meat trim the fat with the purchase of a meat grinder and grind it yourself if you want it on consistent basis.

outdoorsofficer
04-05-2014, 04:59 PM
I get 96/4 at Dillons in Kansas

esheg
04-05-2014, 07:19 PM
96/4 at trader Joe's and smart final. Chit is delicious. Perfect cutting food. I eat a pound at a time..100 g protein. Making delicious taco salads.

ucsumma
04-05-2014, 07:22 PM
96/4 at Walmart.

postman123
04-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Depending on how you cook your ground beef, a certain % of the fat is lost by dripping (grilling) or can be drained off (pan frying). Just buy what's on sale IMO.

Mrpb
04-05-2014, 08:18 PM

Why? It seems like you enjoy ground beef.

If you believe that fats in ground beef are bad and in avocado are good, I believe that has been debunked by now.

EjnarKolinkar
04-05-2014, 10:17 PM
I can't seem to find any ground beef leaner than 93/7. Can any I you point me in the right direction? 96+ would be great...

Why? I mean pay more for what you want but even 93/7 is questionable at most grocery butchers. The margin of error on 95/5 to 93/7 makes it laugable IMO to pay more for 95/5.

Third party labs find discrepancies between label and content pretty often with ground beef see link. Not really alarming when you realize there is a margin of error to be expected. Of course some margins are larger and make a person wonder. Paying for beyond 93% lean, well I would have them grind the meat in front of me from eye of round or the like.

I like 88/12, price and flavor excellent, works decent on grill, but also OK for a meatloaf. I'll buy 93/7 at one local grocer that has particularly good butcher block when it is on sale, or I want to make meat sauce.

http://www.abc15.com/news/let-joe-know/how-much-fat-is-really-in-your-ground-beef-valley-grocery-stores-put-to-the-test

scaredbear
04-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Why? It seems like you enjoy ground beef.

If you believe that fats in ground beef are bad and in avocado are good, I believe that has been debunked by now.

Our understanding of saturated fat and its links to cholesterol and weight gain are certainly changing, but I'm not sure that the above statement is strictly true. The jury is certainly out somewhat but official nutrition advice from most governments is to limit saturated fats (which beef is high in) and prefer mono- and ploy- unsaturated fats found in fish oil etc. I certainly avoid saturated fats where possible for the moment too, until the science settles down a bit.

A tip for the OP is to just take the lowest fat beef you can, and then cook it healthily. Grilling does let some fat escape, but brings its own risks including heightened risk of cancer etc. When I cook minced beef or other fatty meat, I always steam it and rinse in hot water afterwards. The fat drips out the same as if you grill it but with none of the (admittedly still controversial) posited health risks of grilling.

In case that sounds disgusting, I would say that the tastiest burger I've ever eaten was a steamed-patty home-made beef burger that I made a few weeks back. Taking out saturated fats stops that heavy sludgy greasiness from swamping the taste of the meat itself. Use good quality flavoursome beef from a quality butcher and pick the right toppings and I guarantee you will be in taste heaven :-)

Mrpb
04-06-2014, 04:53 AM
The jury is certainly out somewhat but official nutrition advice from most governments is to limit saturated fats (which beef is high in) and prefer mono- and ploy- unsaturated fats found in fish oil etc. I certainly avoid saturated fats where possible for the moment too, until the science settles down a bit.

As far as I know the idea that saturated fats are unhealthy and should be avoided is pretty outdated. This thread covers it pretty well, especially posts by Alan Aragon: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136089021&page=2

scaredbear
04-06-2014, 05:04 AM
As far as I know the idea that saturated fats are unhealthy and should be avoided is pretty outdated. This thread covers it pretty well, especially posts by Alan Aragon:

I think this article best explains why that isnot really the case and it is preemptive to treat saturated fats as healthy:
(can't post url) click ont he first google result for "scientists-fix-errors-controversial-paper-about-saturated-fats"

ScaredBear

Mrpb
04-06-2014, 05:39 AM
I think this article best explains why that isnot really the case and it is preemptive to treat saturated fats as healthy:
(can't post url) click ont he first google result for "scientists-fix-errors-controversial-paper-about-saturated-fats"

ScaredBear

Interesting article but as far as I can tell it doesn't change anything about what Alan wrote in the other thread.

My take is definitely not gonna excite anyone, because it falls along the lines of "doesn't fcking matter to us." The SFA research on the whole has some pretty severe relevance limits to our population. For example, have you looked at the diet composition &/or macros of the studies examined? Nothing like what most of us consume. Also, the subject characteristics are nothing like most of us. If you take the physically active/fitness-oriented population with non-idiotic macros composed of mostly whole & minimally processed foods, & compare the effects of varying proportions of SFA, it's unlikely that you'll see significant health effects within a lifetime. Furthermore, people lose sight of the big picture that dietary SFA is one of several dietary factors that affect blood lipid levels, and blood lipid levels are only one of several major factors that influence the risk of heart disease. Just to add another tidbit to chew on, other important health outcomes (obesity, cancer, & osteoporosis) have no clear relation of SFA intake, so the focus on SFA's relationship to CVD without factoring in the larger context of the disease continuum is sort of a tail-chasing exercise in & of itself.

Given the specific scenario you described, especially one involving a physically active population, a diet whose fat content is 75% SFA from mostly whole food sources is not going to pose any significant risks. If you think it would, then I would like to see what evidence you'd use to support this. I'd also add that this diet would be difficult to achieve & is rather far-fetched.

I'm no expert though so I'll let it to the experts to comment on this.

Robsolutely
04-06-2014, 06:32 AM
93%+ lean ground beef...

...And not a single taste bud was satisfied this day.

MichaelKB
04-06-2014, 08:02 AM
93%+ lean ground beef...

...And not a single taste bud was satisfied this day.

I've been on 99/1 turkey burgers for for a good while... so 93/7 beef tastes like god's fuhgina at this point.

Good information here, I appreciate it. And for what it's worth all of my burgers get cooked on the Foreman grill...

Domicron
04-06-2014, 09:51 AM
i'd much rather eat a black bean burger than a poultry 'burger'

i can KIND of see the idea behind ground chicken or turkey, although the problem is that when you cook it it turns into little flavorless pellets of ****.

as far as a ground poultry 'burger' though, why not just make a turkey sandwich? its juicier and requires less processing; just roast or fry the turkey breast, slice it or put it whole onto a sandwich and enjoy.

the only way i'd try a turkey burger is if it was made with dark meat, and even then...no thanks.

spicyprice
04-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Our understanding of saturated fat and its links to cholesterol and weight gain are certainly changing, but I'm not sure that the above statement is strictly true. The jury is certainly out somewhat but official nutrition advice from most governments is to limit saturated fats (which beef is high in) and prefer mono- and ploy- unsaturated fats found in fish oil etc. I certainly avoid saturated fats where possible for the moment too, until the science settles down a bit.

A tip for the OP is to just take the lowest fat beef you can, and then cook it healthily. Grilling does let some fat escape, but brings its own risks including heightened risk of cancer etc. When I cook minced beef or other fatty meat, I always steam it and rinse in hot water afterwards. The fat drips out the same as if you grill it but with none of the (admittedly still controversial) posited health risks of grilling.

In case that sounds disgusting, I would say that the tastiest burger I've ever eaten was a steamed-patty home-made beef burger that I made a few weeks back. Taking out saturated fats stops that heavy sludgy greasiness from swamping the taste of the meat itself. Use good quality flavoursome beef from a quality butcher and pick the right toppings and I guarantee you will be in taste heaven :-)

Why in the hell would you rinse your meat???

So you buy good meat and then rinse it? The fuq am I reading....

Domicron
04-06-2014, 10:04 AM

So you buy good meat and then rinse it? The fuq am I reading....

maybe he likes eating pebble-like protein pellets...

at this point just buy and eat protein powder exclusively...you're saving yourself time and money.

scaredbear
04-06-2014, 10:06 AM
So you buy good meat and then rinse it? .

Yes, I rinse off the fat, which can cling in unappealing strings of saturated fat on the outside of the meat. I am left with perfectly tender, juicy beef patties. I get plenty of mono and poly fats in my diet, and so I lose the saturated fat. I have had my cholesterol tested and I have a very healthy cholesterol level, whereas it used to be elevated previously. I have made a number of lifestyle and diet changes so I can't attribute it to eating less saturated fat, but as for steamed beef patties, its worth it on taste and texture grounds alone.

Steamed patties > grilled/fried patties

eatyourspinach
04-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Yes, I rinse off the fat, which can cling in unappealing strings of saturated fat on the outside of the meat. I am left with perfectly tender, juicy beef patties. I get plenty of mono and poly fats in my diet, and so I lose the saturated fat. I have had my cholesterol tested and I have a very healthy cholesterol level, whereas it used to be elevated previously. I have made a number of lifestyle and diet changes so I can't attribute it to eating less saturated fat, but as for steamed beef patties, its worth it on taste and texture grounds alone.

I think there may be a bit of a cultural aspect to this now, American preferences vs. British. But I mean I could just be stereotyping myself because I love a juicy grilled burger.

spicyprice
04-06-2014, 10:18 AM

I eat the hell out of some saturated fat and I also have low cholesterol.

Bolded sounds like its more of a mental issue for you. You're associating a perfectly fine part of the meat with a negative health outcome and now it looks unappealing.

Mncdk
04-06-2014, 10:22 AM
I know taste is subjective and all, but I do believe this is the most I have EVER disagreed with someone.
I think I just blew my own mind a little.

I... I... I don't even know... What to say.

Robsolutely
04-06-2014, 12:38 PM
I know taste is subjective and all, but I do believe this is the most I have EVER disagreed with someone.
I think I just blew my own mind a little.

I... I... I don't even know... What to say.

You must have never heard of Jersey sliders. Check out seriouseats.com ultimate sliders recipe.

That's not to say you should ever rinse your ground beef. The steam for Jersey sliders is from the residual moisture in the cooked onions and Martins potato rolls.

Mncdk
04-06-2014, 12:47 PM
The steam for Jersey sliders is from the residual moisture in the cooked onions and Martins potato rolls.
I almost get what you're saying, but still, you're trying to talk me into not frying my patties in the grease left over from frying onions and potato rolls. You're not really helping your case. :D

I'm a real sucker for the crust that frying/grilling creates, so I don't think you're ever going to persuade me on this one. It may lead to a higher chance of cancer, but I've already given up smoking. Let me live a little. :D

scaredbear
04-06-2014, 11:44 PM
You must have never heard of Jersey sliders. Check out seriouseats.com ultimate sliders recipe.

That's not to say you should ever rinse your ground beef. The steam for Jersey sliders is from the residual moisture in the cooked onions and Martins potato rolls.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is not just a cultural thing, Americans have steamed burger patties in some regions too right? It certainly was a health/neurosis issue about saturated fat that got me into steaming my burger patties, but its taste and texture that keeps me going back to them rather than other options. Unless you've actually *eaten* steamed patties, what are you comparing your greasy patties to? Give them a go once and you might be surprised.

maybe he likes eating pebble-like protein pellets...

See, that's not how they are :-) Which makes me suspect few have tried them. You need to cook them just right but they come out wonderfully moist, you just don't overcook the meat like you would do when grilling - its overcooking the meat in grilling and drying it out that makes it need the grease to be palatable again. Have you tried eating a grilled burger after its been sat an hour? Dry, hard, disgusting, because the meat is overcooked. When I steam them I *just* cook them, they stay so moist its unreal but with water not grease. Anyway, enough justifying this, each to their own! :-P

ScaredBear

StoliFun
04-07-2014, 01:44 AM
If I was religious, I'd pray for you, OP.

HealingHands8
04-07-2014, 01:58 AM
I get plenty of mono and poly fats in my diet, and so I lose the saturated fat. I have had my cholesterol tested and I have a very healthy cholesterol level, whereas it used to be elevated previously. I have made a number of lifestyle and diet changes so I can't attribute it to eating less saturated fat

Stupid n=1 data is stupid

MichaelKB
04-07-2014, 06:27 AM
If I was religious, I'd pray for you, OP.

Such a worthless post. Buuut that's okay, I'm not religious either.

There are things I like better than steak for my fat. The whole reason I started the thread was for help looking for leaner beef. I'll try a couple of more places here locally in Tulsa, but I don't mind settling for 93/7 in the end if that's as good as it gets (store bought). Thanks for all of your input.

prac843
04-07-2014, 05:08 PM
96/4 at meijer. Been buying for years.

Robsolutely
04-08-2014, 10:07 AM
I almost get what you're saying, but still, you're trying to talk me into not frying my patties in the grease left over from frying onions and potato rolls. You're not really helping your case. I'm a real sucker for the crust that frying/grilling creates, so I don't think you're ever going to persuade me on this one. It may lead to a higher chance of cancer, but I've already given up smoking. Let me live a little. :D

I'm not trying to talk you into anything. I am simply stating that there are different ways to cook burgers and each method has it's advantages/disadvantages. Jersey sliders are typically seared on a very hot skillet with a bit of oil on the first side to develop a crust, then flipped over and covered to steam the remainder of the way on a bed of raw+cooked onions. You typically only use 2-4 oz. of beef for sliders, so the serving size is usually 2-3 burgers.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is not just a cultural thing, Americans have steamed burger patties in some regions too right? It certainly was a health/neurosis issue about saturated fat that got me into steaming my burger patties, but its taste and texture that keeps me going back to them rather than other options. Unless you've actually *eaten* steamed patties, what are you comparing your greasy patties to? Give them a go once and you might be surprised.

I would never just take raw ground beef, form it into a patty, and steam it. I am a chef so I am confident that does not work well. If you trained yourself to enjoy them that way then you would be an extremely a rare case.

scaredbear
04-08-2014, 12:25 PM
I would never just take raw ground beef, form it into a patty, and steam it. I am a chef so I am confident that does not work well. If you trained yourself to enjoy them that way then you would be an extremely a rare case.

Well OK then, I guess I've brainwashed myself :-) I make the patties myself using beef mince, egg, onions and spices, and then steam them, tastes amazing to me!

ScaredBear

Gearhead454W9
04-08-2014, 01:54 PM
I'll try a couple of more places here locally in Tulsa, but I don't mind settling for 93/7 in the end if that's as good as it gets (store bought). Thanks for all of your input.

I think the reason you're struggling to find something leaner is because of where you live. That is the heart heart of America, the land of big trucks and cold beer. Conservative USA.

Now if we look at LA, Portland or Seattle for instance, all very "health conscious" and liberal areas. You'll be surrounded with low fat, no fat alternative options. I would know, I live here.

MichaelKB
04-08-2014, 02:47 PM
I think the reason you're struggling to find something leaner is because of where you live. That is the heart heart of America, the land of big trucks and cold beer. Conservative USA.

Now if we look at LA, Portland or Seattle for instance, all very "health conscious" and liberal areas. You'll be surrounded with low fat, no fat alternative options. I would know, I live here.

Wow... lol That explains why the local WM's carts are usually all occupied by grossly obese fatbodies!

kurse196
04-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Got a place you frequent for this? Didn't see anything this lean at my local grocery store or Wal mart... Lol

Reach costco

RScary15
04-08-2014, 03:13 PM
I find ground turkey that's 99/1

eatyourspinach
04-08-2014, 03:37 PM
I find ground turkey that's 99/1

Turkey is a different animal though.

MichaelKB
04-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Turkey is a different animal though.

It's true. Much smaller than a cow, and has feathers n sht