PDA

View Full Version : Was I wrong to state my age?

bodyhard
04-03-2014, 05:06 PM
As some of you know I have started a new career as a Project Executive in a prestigious company and I have only been there 3 weeks now.

Well today while speaking with the CEO of the company (he is my direct report) we started talking off the record and started talking about personal stuff, family kids etc etc.

As I was telling him about Patty (and what had happen to her recently) he asked me how long was I married for. When I told him 32 years he was shocked and asked me, "how old are you?" When I told him I would be 50 this coming June he told me he thought I was 32 and then gave me the weirdest look.

Not sure if me being older was a good thing or a bad thing in his eyes as I could not read him. Sh!t is still bugging me....

Ohhh and God has punished me, most of you here know how I feel about homosexuality, (I don't agree with their lifestyle) well I found out and met today my assistant and he is a gay man, so I have to deal with him every day :(

Why couldn't I get a cute, young girl assistant? :D :D

so-tex
04-03-2014, 05:15 PM
The father, son and holy spirit hates bodyhard!

eomrat
04-03-2014, 05:19 PM
As some of you know I have started a new career as a Project Executive in a prestigious company and I have only been there 3 weeks now.

Well today while speaking with the CEO of the company (he is my direct report) we started talking off the record and started talking about personal stuff, family kids etc etc.

As I was telling him about Patty (and what had happen to her recently) he asked me how long was I married for. When I told him 32 years he was shocked and asked me, "how old are you?" When I told him I would be 50 this coming June he told me he thought I was 32 and then gave me the weirdest look.

Not sure if me being older was a good thing or a bad thing in his eyes as I could not read him. Sh!t is still bugging me....

Ohhh and God has punished me, most of you here know how I feel about homosexuality, (I don't agree with their lifestyle) well I found out and met today my assistant and he is a gay man, so I have to deal with him every day :(

Do you think the look might have just been him thinking that you were bull****ting him?

RukusNZ
04-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Im not sure why you would be worried, do you think it may impact on your employment or chances to progress further with them? I have the opposite problem, i look older than i am. This was a real benefit in my highschool days, no problem getting into clubs or buying drinks for the boys etc. As for the rest, karma? I wont state my own opinion, however it doesnt seem far off yours. Lets just hope that he is great at his job and doesnt have any intentions on interacting with you more than he needs to?

frozensparky
04-03-2014, 05:20 PM
I don't think it's a bad thing that he was surprised. He probably just doesn't see a lot of guys your age in good shape with a younger attitude.

As far as your assistant I don't take it as god punishing you but maybe it's his way of trying to teach you everybody has a place in this world. Either way I can't claim to understand his will. It will probably be what you make out of it (meaning if you take it as punishment, that's exactly what it will be)

highiso
04-03-2014, 05:41 PM
I was homophobic until I met my wife. She has many gay friends (very few of which are flamboyant) who are now some of my best friends. The strangest thing is I can't remember what it was like to be a homophobe. I'm a better person for getting to know these people. You can disagree with their lifestyle, but from experience, to judge them for that lifestyle is wrong.

ajdahlheimer
04-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Maybe the shocked look wasn't about your age........maybe it was about you being married and NOT in fact, gay. Just sayin'.....

Bando
04-03-2014, 07:22 PM
I saw an ad to to dye your sideburns grey, so that you appear older and more competent. :confused:

I guess that's all I got.

djflex
04-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Maybe the shocked look wasn't about your age........maybe it was about you being married and NOT in fact, gay. Just sayin'.....

Lol!

KRANE
04-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Well if it makes you feel any better age discrimination is illegal so you're safe. Well not exactly. He can still fire you but at least now you have legal recourse if he does.

Bando
04-03-2014, 08:10 PM
age discrimination is illegal so you're safe.

This is the biggest farce in the HR community today. I was not selected for a job because I would not answer "what year did you graduate High School" :rolleyes:

bodyhard
04-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Do you think the look might have just been him thinking that you were bull****ting him?

Not sure like I said I can't read the guy.

Im not sure why you would be worried, do you think it may impact on your employment or chances to progress further with them? I have the opposite problem, i look older than i am. This was a real benefit in my highschool days, no problem getting into clubs or buying drinks for the boys etc. As for the rest, karma? I wont state my own opinion, however it doesnt seem far off yours. Lets just hope that he is great at his job and doesnt have any intentions on interacting with you more than he needs to?

Thats the line I was looking in, like "wow this guy is older than we thought" kind of sh!t, I dunno maybe I am just paranoid

I don't think it's a bad thing that he was surprised. He probably just doesn't see a lot of guys your age in good shape with a younger attitude.

As far as your assistant I don't take it as god punishing you but maybe it's his way of trying to teach you everybody has a place in this world. Either way I can't claim to understand his will. It will probably be what you make out of it (meaning if you take it as punishment, that's exactly what it will be)

He did say you don't look 50 at all and your young demeanor doesn't fit your age, or some sh!t like that.

Well if it makes you feel any better age discrimination is illegal so you're safe. Well not exactly. He can still fire you but at least now you have legal recourse if he does.

I doubt he will just fire me, but I dunno maybe later down the road, like I said maybe I am just being paranoid.

o0o0
04-03-2014, 11:05 PM
Looking younger crew checking in. If that happened to me, I would feel uneasy, too. I guess you just have to show your work, what is expected and more. Good luck and it's a good thing that you look young ;)

In regards to your assistant...I'm sure you will be just fine :D

sytun
04-04-2014, 01:04 AM
This is how your mail will be brought in every morning:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/sytun/bhpic_zps850ffc3a.jpg

jeffaus
04-04-2014, 03:45 AM
This is how your mail will be brought in every morning:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/sytun/bhpic_zps850ffc3a.jpg Hahaha Repped. Now we just need some bee's flying around that guys head and our work in this thread will be done.

bodyhard
04-04-2014, 04:21 AM
Looking younger crew checking in. If that happened to me, I would feel uneasy, too. I guess you just have to show your work, what is expected and more. Good luck and it's a good thing that you look young ;)

In regards to your assistant...I'm sure you will be just fine :D

So it is just not me then, I am glad someone knows what I mean. It was just a weird look like, Damn you are that old?

NorwichGrad
04-04-2014, 04:58 AM
HAHAHA.. That's normal, John.. People I meet don't believe me when I tell 'em I'm 42.

Peeps with tan (i.e. like you and me, and the Afro Bro Crew) hide their age well. My sister is 34 and she still gets carded when ordering wine. Plus the fact that you're fit will give others the illusion that you're a lot younger.

As far as your gay coworker, don't worry about his gheyness. He won't sneak up behind you in the men's room and grab your ballz from behind as you are draining the lizard. Most perverts and molesters are actually hetero.. I used to be homophobic.. I don't agree with their lifestyle as well, but I have learned that they're harmless and people with feelings too.

Count your blessings, my friend. Maybe it's the Good Lord's way of saying, for His own reason, "I'm gonna give John the opportunity to work with a gay person." Like the old saying goes - everything happens for a reason.

Whiskeyjack
04-04-2014, 05:04 AM
He did say you don't look 50 at all and your young demeanor doesn't fit your age, or some sh!t like that.

That could mean anything, positive or negative. But I wouldn't worry about it. He's not going to fire you if he/they just hired you; you must've been hired for good reason.

As for the gay assistant, and aside from any putative involvement from God, your treatment of him will be your trial and potential triumph. Have you had staff report to you before?

ChickenPauk
04-04-2014, 09:46 AM
gave me the weirdest look.

He probably just thought to himself, "Hmmf - thought this cat was younger than that. Now we're gonna have to teach his old ass how to use a computer. Now that I know he's older, I bet I can kick his ass, too"

MarkDL
04-04-2014, 10:01 AM
He just jelly...the CEO that is. Oh and the gay guy def wants ya.

Jake57
04-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Maybe your experience is teaching you about how people are prejudged by others. Some people will judge you on your age, and some people will judge you by your sexuality. Whether it's them doing it to you or you doing it to them, it's the wrong way to go. Give people a chance.

highiso
04-04-2014, 10:10 AM
He probably just thought to himself, "Hmmf - thought this cat was younger than that. Now we're gonna have to teach his old ass how to use a computer. Now that I know he's older, I bet I can kick his ass, too"

195? I don't think so jeff.

TnRob
04-04-2014, 10:19 AM
http://www.susansbooksandgifts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Bacon-Makes-Everything-Better.jpg

sy2502
04-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Maybe your experience is teaching you about how people are prejudged by others. Some people will judge you on your age, and some people will judge you by your sexuality. Whether it's them doing it to you or you doing it to them, it's the wrong way to go. Give people a chance.

Excellent post!!!
Much food for thought for OP here.

GKC45
04-04-2014, 11:05 AM
...As far as your gay coworker, don't worry about his gheyness. He won't sneak up behind you in the men's room and grab your ballz from behind.... I dunno... This one time, on Happy Days, Richie was using the terlit when... oops, wrong thread. After rereading, it could be ebola.

MiklaDfar
04-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Your post is kind of ironic in a way... ever think that maybe your assistant has the same thoughts about the way you looked at him?

As far as worrying about your age... it sounds like you are at the executive level and working for a CEO... in today's Corporate America... 50 is still young. Don't worry about it and move on.

Minotaur
04-04-2014, 12:08 PM
You can disagree with their lifestyle, but from experience, to judge them for that lifestyle is wrong.

I wish someone would tell me what the gay lifestyle is so I can live it. Maybe I'm not really gay? It sounds interesting, especially because it gets so many people's jimmies rustled. :p

tobymax123
04-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Of course you weren't wrong to state your age. He asked, you answered. It would have been wrong to lie, and it would have been weird (though perfectly legal) to say something like "I'd rather not answer that."

I see you're not responding to the feedback on the gay assistant, and that's fine, that's your prerogative. But since you put it out there: I don't get what you "have to deal with" every day. You don't have to deal with his sexual orientation every day, or ever, unless he tries to force himself on you which would be extremely unlikely and not a normal thing for a gay guy to do. You just have to deal with his personality as you would anyone else, and deal with how well he does his work.

Minotaur
04-04-2014, 12:36 PM
unless he tries to force himself on you which would be extremely unlikely and not a normal thing for a gay guy to do.

Not to mention it's illegal. Sexual harassment takes many forms, including making gay, blonde or man-bashing jokes in the workplace. You never know who will get pissy about it, even a third party.

scullin
04-04-2014, 12:42 PM
CEO probably just thought you looked young because you're in shape. I get that a lot here, people think I'm a young kid and can't figure out how I have my rank. Until I tell them I"ve been in the miltiary 21 years then they look at me like this.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uQiM3VUgMCk/TnwjglYAy1I/AAAAAAAAApo/_W4Oa6pBSCg/s400/bertstare_xlarge.jpeg

LOL at the gay thing. I once worked with a gay guy for a year before I knew he was gay. Our boss mentioned something about him and his life partner or whatever. And I was like.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uQiM3VUgMCk/TnwjglYAy1I/AAAAAAAAApo/_W4Oa6pBSCg/s400/bertstare_xlarge.jpeg

Jbizzlechizzle
04-04-2014, 12:47 PM

I personally don't think you made a mistake by telling your age. Outside of that, I think you just need to be kind and accepting of your new assistant. You shouldn't allow his lifestyle to bother you.

ChickenPauk
04-04-2014, 01:36 PM
195? I don't think so jeff.

lbs. = Lean body size, right? Ugh, yeah needs some updating.

Oceanside
04-04-2014, 01:49 PM

maybe god has given you an assignment....

maybe his plan is to have you convert him to normal....

you can do it John !

bodyhard
04-04-2014, 05:11 PM
HAHAHA.. That's normal, John.. People I meet don't believe me when I tell 'em I'm 42.

Peeps with tan (i.e. like you and me, and the Afro Bro Crew) hide their age well. My sister is 34 and she still gets carded when ordering wine. Plus the fact that you're fit will give others the illusion that you're a lot younger.

As far as your gay coworker, don't worry about his gheyness. He won't sneak up behind you in the men's room and grab your ballz from behind as you are draining the lizard. Most perverts and molesters are actually hetero.. I used to be homophobic.. I don't agree with their lifestyle as well, but I have learned that they're harmless and people with feelings too.

Count your blessings, my friend. Maybe it's the Good Lord's way of saying, for His own reason, "I'm gonna give John the opportunity to work with a gay person." Like the old saying goes - everything happens for a reason.

It wasn't what he said more on how he looked at me, hard to explain I guess.

That could mean anything, positive or negative. But I wouldn't worry about it. He's not going to fire you if he/they just hired you; you must've been hired for good reason.

As for the gay assistant, and aside from any putative involvement from God, your treatment of him will be your trial and potential triumph. Have you had staff report to you before?

I don't think he is going to fire me, maybe just not give me certain responsibilities?? Or maybe no room for advancement. Not sure, this sh!t is just kind of twisted.

LOL I should see the humor in it.

He just jelly...the CEO that is. Oh and the gay guy def wants ya.

Doubt he is jelly , young dude, rich.

Of course you weren't wrong to state your age. He asked, you answered. It would have been wrong to lie, and it would have been weird (though perfectly legal) to say something like "I'd rather not answer that."

I see you're not responding to the feedback on the gay assistant, and that's fine, that's your prerogative. But since you put it out there: I don't get what you "have to deal with" every day. You don't have to deal with his sexual orientation every day, or ever, unless he tries to force himself on you which would be extremely unlikely and not a normal thing for a gay guy to do. You just have to deal with his personality as you would anyone else, and deal with how well he does his work.

That is what I mean, maybe should have made a joke like, "my age, well how old do you think I am?" Or something like that.

CEO probably just thought you looked young because you're in shape. I get that a lot here, people think I'm a young kid and can't figure out how I have my rank. Until I tell them I"ve been in the miltiary 21 years then they look at me like this.

LOL at the gay thing. I once worked with a gay guy for a year before I knew he was gay. Our boss mentioned something about him and his life partner or whatever. And I was like.

I personally don't think you made a mistake by telling your age. Outside of that, I think you just need to be kind and accepting of your new assistant. You shouldn't allow his lifestyle to bother you.

LOL, yeah he gave me a Bert stare 3x over.

maybe god has given you an assignment....

maybe his plan is to have you convert him to normal....

you can do it John !

LOL leave it to OS!!!

KRANE
04-04-2014, 05:31 PM
LOL, yeah he gave me a Bert stare 3x over. That's call a reevaluation stare. You scared him in that what he thought he knew, he now knows he has to reevaluate.

bodyhard
04-04-2014, 07:43 PM
That's call a reevaluation stare. You scared him in that what he thought he knew, he now knows he has to reevaluate.

What do you mean?

so-tex
04-04-2014, 07:57 PM
What do you mean?Don't listen to that goofy fuk. BH, I think you are overthinking this. Like others have said, you are in great shape for a guy your age and I think You're a lot like me in the fact you comingle with people younger than you. Hell, half of my friends are anywhere between 10-25 years younger than I am. Your boss should thank his lucky stars that he has a mature guy that knows his sh!t! As for the gay guy, just don't bend over and reach for the soap.:D. Srs though, I have some gay friends and they know where I stand. In no way are they a threat.

KRANE
04-04-2014, 08:01 PM
What do you mean?I mean he may have though he know how to tell how old someone is i.e. through experience, conversation, gray hair, whatever? But then you came along and threw him for a loop. It could be that which might have upset him a bit, in that in a way, he's wasn't as smart as he though he was. Or it could feels a little threatened?

Of course this is all speculation, since I don't know him or you or how he reacts when surprised. But it does sound like he was surprised. But I'm just going by a similar experience I had, and some things leaned through my own observations.

bodyhard
04-04-2014, 08:20 PM
That's call a reevaluation stare. You scared him in that what he thought he knew, he now knows he has to reevaluate.

I mean he may have though he know how to tell how old someone is i.e. through experience, conversation, gray hair, whatever? But then you came along and threw him for a loop. It could be that which might have upset him a bit, in that in a way, he's wasn't as smart as he though he was. Or it could feels a little threatened?

Of course this is all speculation, since I don't know him or you or how he reacts when surprised. But it does sound like he was surprised. But I'm just going by a similar experience I had, and some things leaned through my own observations.

Ahhh ok I see what you are saying

ChickenPauk
04-05-2014, 04:20 AM
^^ Was probably just thinking **** -- now I have to spend money on a retirement party in a few months. I kid, I kid.

How'd you hit it off with him in the first place? And, do you have much interraction with him? Next time you get a chance to interract slightly off business topics would it be out of place to throw it out there .... "Bossman, did I throw you for a loop when i told you my age the other week? You looked a bit surprised." Not in those exact words, but keep it light - let him know you are perceptive and get a little straight talk so to speak.

I'm sure there's a diplomatic way to inquire if you have a certain amount of interraction with the man.

discdoggie
04-05-2014, 04:46 AM
Ohhh and God has punished me,

Because there is no "God."

:p

bodyhard
04-05-2014, 05:41 AM

I mean he may have though he know how to tell how old someone is i.e. through experience, conversation, gray hair, whatever? But then you came along and threw him for a loop. It could be that which might have upset him a bit, in that in a way, he's wasn't as smart as he though he was. Or it could feels a little threatened?

^^ Was probably just thinking **** -- now I have to spend money on a retirement party in a few months. I kid, I kid.

How'd you hit it off with him in the first place? And, do you have much interraction with him? Next time you get a chance to interract slightly off business topics would it be out of place to throw it out there .... "Bossman, did I throw you for a loop when i told you my age the other week? You looked a bit surprised." Not in those exact words, but keep it light - let him know you are perceptive and get a little straight talk so to speak.

I'm sure there's a diplomatic way to inquire if you have a certain amount of interraction with the man.

That's a damn good idea

thcalan
04-05-2014, 11:28 AM

OP starts a thread worrying about discrimination based upon his age and then side notes his discrimination based on sexual orientation.

F'n can't make this stuff up

And BTW YOU are HIS direct report. F'ing that up will get you fired quicker than being 50

thcalan
04-05-2014, 11:29 AM
try proving that

KRANE
04-05-2014, 12:07 PM
try proving thatLike I said, "not exactly." But some legal protection is better than none. Don't you agree?

Besides, I was speaking form experience since it was a similar legal protection kept me from being kicked to the curb without any legal recourse. With what it ended up costing him, that former employer of mine will certainly think twice the next time. In any event, I don't think being terminated is what the OP is concerned with.

NorwichGrad
04-05-2014, 12:15 PM
John,

If he fires you, you can also get him for racism.. You are Puerto Rican, amigo.....a "minority"...... and "old." And maybe someday being "homophobe" will be a protected class.

Lots of great things going for you, man.. An old, homophobic Puerto Rican.. You're like the MC Hammer of the corporate world.. "Can't touch this."

:D Hope you sense my typical perverse sense of humor..

Nikonguy
04-05-2014, 12:21 PM
This thread is worthless without pics of BH stripping to his undies, bustin' out a most muscular pose and screaming "BAM!!! WHATCHU GOT BOSS MAN!!!!?!! . . . . . and then throwing quarters in his face.

absolutely no homo

GKC45
04-05-2014, 01:18 PM
kill whitey!

mr.average
04-06-2014, 04:22 AM
You might be able to fight, but are you ready for a bitch fight ;) lol

I wouldn't take too much notice about his reaction, you just look younger

bodyhard
04-06-2014, 08:35 AM
John,

If he fires you, you can also get him for racism.. You are Puerto Rican, amigo.....a "minority"...... and "old." And maybe someday being "homophobe" will be a protected class.

Lots of great things going for you, man.. An old, homophobic Puerto Rican.. You're like the MC Hammer of the corporate world.. "Can't touch this."

:D Hope you sense my typical perverse sense of humor..

LOL only you man, only you :D

This thread is worthless without pics of BH stripping to his undies, bustin' out a most muscular pose and screaming "BAM!!! WHATCHU GOT BOSS MAN!!!!?!! . . . . . and then throwing quarters in his face.

absolutely no homo

LOL not even a little? :)

You might be able to fight, but are you ready for a bitch fight ;) lol

I wouldn't take too much notice about his reaction, you just look younger

LOL

When I get to know him better I will revisit, just bugging me now, I should get over it hopefully.