PDA

View Full Version : Question About Protein Synthesis per Meal (30 Gram myth)

strengthgained
04-02-2014, 10:57 PM
I know this is a heavily debated argument here.

I always read EVERYWHERE that 30 grams of protein is the most you can absorb. Now, obviously I don't believe it right off the bat.

In my HEALTH AND FITNESS class (this is a college class, and certified towards personal training bullchit, I took it for fun) they teach the EXACT same thing.

My professor said only 30 grams of protein can be absorbed per sitting. When I asked what exactly a sitting was she said it was each time you sat down to eat a meal. ???????

So my question is this: Is it some bullchit that has little evidence behind it? I see protein shake recipes having 2-3 scoops of protein per serving from guys on here.

So should I just not worry about it and put two scoops of protein in my mass gainer and quit bishing?

Mrpb
04-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Go here pls: http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

strengthgained
04-02-2014, 11:12 PM
Go here pls: http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

Ive read it, it basically states that there MAY be science behind the myth but its not clear and until more research comes out, its acceptable to kill all your protein in one go.

Mrpb
04-02-2014, 11:18 PM
it basically states that there MAY be science behind the myth but its not clear and until more research comes out, its acceptable to kill all your protein in one go.

^ Mainly right but not 100% right imo. It states:

Based on the available evidence, it’s false to assume that the body can only use a certain amount of protein per meal. Studies examining short-term effects have provided hints towards what might be an optimal protein dose for maximizing anabolism, but trials drawn out over longer periods haven’t supported this idea.

So, is there a limit to how much protein per meal can be effectively used? Yes there is, but this limit is likely similar to the amount that’s maximally effective in an entire day. What’s the most protein that the body can effectively use in an entire day? The short answer is, a lot more than 20-30 g. The long answer is, it depends on several factors. In most cases it’s not too far from a gram per pound in drug-free trainees, given that adequate total calories are provided [8,9].
is there a limit to how much protein per meal can be effectively used? Yes there is, but this limit is likely similar to the amount that’s maximally effective in an entire day.

alphaproject
04-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Your body itself can digest only tiny amounts per hour...but it's put elsewhere for storage. Whey takes like 8-10 grams an hour. Some are REALLY slow like Casein.

The kicker is that at some point, say after 80 grams in one sitting your body might be wasting aminos. I've found it best, just for my stomach to not eat huge amounts of protein....doesn't mean you CAN'T do it.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-truth-about-protein-absorption-how-often-you-should-eat-protein-to-build-muscle/

strengthgained
04-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Your body itself can digest only tiny amounts per hour...but it's put elsewhere for storage. Whey takes like 8-10 grams an hour. Some are REALLY slow like Casein.

The kicker is that at some point, say after 80 grams in one sitting your body might be wasting aminos. I've found it best, just for my stomach to not eat huge amounts of protein....doesn't mean you CAN'T do it.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-truth-about-protein-absorption-how-often-you-should-eat-protein-to-build-muscle/

I see what you mean.

By good for your stomach do you mean it doesn't make you as nauseous or bloated ?

alphaproject
04-02-2014, 11:49 PM
Yea...for me personally. I know guys that can eat huge amounts of protein...say Furious Pete for one...LOL I think he ate like 1000 grams of protein before. Obviously ridiculous...but it's nothing I could do.

Puresk1llz
04-03-2014, 12:10 AM
The 30g protein per meal is a myth. But it's not that wrong because if you eat 6 meals per day and you weigh like 80kg so you'll get 180g of protein and that's the amount you should get. Otherwise you can either eat less meals and more proteins per meal it doesn't really matter. You only have to hit your macros per day.

WonderPug
04-03-2014, 12:19 AM
My professor said only 30 grams of protein can be absorbed per sitting. When I asked what exactly a sitting was she said it was each time you sat down to eat a meal. ???????Unfortunately, your professor lacks even a basic understanding of physiology.

A lot of people take for granted what the human body is capable. One can consume more than 30 g of protein in one sitting because of the intestinal braking system, the most significant of which is the ileal brake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vhMPEent_k

So the ileal brake controls the rate of how much food enters the small intestine so that absorption is maximized and food doesn't go to waste. In other words, it will slow down digestion essentially so that the small intestine can take its sweet time and absorb nutrients without being rushed into absorbing everything all at once. One study, showed maximum absorption rates to be as high as 10 g/hour for protein (for pure whey), although only a few proteins were measured. When you factor in a mixed diet and other sources of protein, you can expect lower rates of absorption such that it seems that a lot of protein may indeed go to waste. However, that study does not take into account the fact that the gastrointestinal system can adapt to diet, meaning that amino acid absorption can improve when the GI tract exposed to higher protein loads. To sum it all up, your intestines take care of the possible issues and make it all work in the end.

If protein was not actually broken down, then it would not even be absorbed by the intestine. If large peptides did make it into systemic circulation, your immune system would react to it and you could possibly get a food allergy from that (and this can happen with a diseased gut). A healthy small intestine makes sure that only broken down protein (amino acids, dipeptides, and tripeptides) get absorbed. Any protein that is not broken down (certain proteins and chains that are not bioavailable, that is) is not absorbed either goes to the large intestine where bacteria will use it for its own consumption or gets pooped out. It will not be turned into fat for storage because it does not enter systemic circulation in the first place.

Hope that helps. My fingers are tired.

gomez26
04-03-2014, 12:25 AM
[b]
My professor said only 30 grams of protein can be absorbed per sitting. When I asked what exactly a sitting was she said it was each time you sat down to eat a meal. ???????

in this case people who consistently eat only once a day while being physically active would be dead.

larger meals take longer to digest. the nutrients trickle in a bit at a time. u dont immediately flood the absorption sites with the basic contents of the meal each time u 'sit down'.
there would be a upper limit for highly processed sources like whey powder since it requires less digestion, but its not as low as 30g.
normal balanced meals u never would have to worry about this.

strengthgained
04-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately, your professor lacks even a basic understanding of physiology.

Beautifully summarized, thank you.

So if tl;dr, basically don't worry.