PDA

View Full Version : Carbs good or bad when cutting

hgivens
04-01-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm pretty new to the nutrition part of lifting, and I've been doing a pretty sloppy bulk all winter and I'm going to start cutting shortly.

Just curious if I should cut out the majority of my carbs when cutting. I also just bought some hydroxycut and plan on taking that.
So basically I'm just asking if carbs are good or bad when trying to cut?

jd0g91
04-01-2014, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty new to the nutrition part of lifting, and I've been doing a pretty sloppy bulk all winter and I'm going to start cutting shortly.

Just curious if I should cut out the majority of my carbs when cutting. I also just bought some hydroxycut and plan on taking that.
So basically I'm just asking if carbs are good or bad when trying to cut?

im cutting, loosing around a 1kg a week. 40/40/20 eating around 200g's of carbs a day. the first part of my cut i did low carb but felt **** all day everyday craved way more **** food. just work out your BMR - 500 calories and eat 40/40/20 protein carbs fat...monitor the scales and adjust accordingly

hgivens
04-01-2014, 10:17 PM
im cutting, loosing around a 1kg a week. 40/40/20 eating around 200g's of carbs a day. the first part of my cut i did low carb but felt **** all day everyday craved way more **** food. just work out your BMR - 500 calories and eat 40/40/20 protein carbs fat...monitor the scales and adjust accordingly

I'm confused what you mean by 40/40/20 Do you mean just eat in the ratio? 2/2/1? because if I only ate 40g's of protein a day I feel like I'd be burning through muscle.

jd0g91
04-01-2014, 10:22 PM
I'm confused what you mean by 40/40/20 Do you mean just eat in the ratio? 2/2/1? because if I only ate 40g's of protein a day I feel like I'd be burning through muscle.

LOL sorry man, i ment % so if your goal was 2000 calories, 40 % of it would be from protein, 40% from carbs 20% from fats

Thats just my opionion some people would cut on different ratio's.

Mncdk
04-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Don't use ratio's. Calculate proper macronutrient intake with help from the stickies.
And 20% fat from 2000 kcal is 44.44g of fat? That seems awfully low.

SirLiftsAlot22
04-01-2014, 11:31 PM
I would say on off days cut down on your carbs. Dont do what I did. I cut way back on carbs and upped my protein and was constipated all the time. I had the hardest most awful bowl movements. So if you are going to cut your carb levels be sure to get your fiber. I take a fiber supplement now and I am good to go.

ErMejo
04-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Guys correct me if my idea is wrong. I learn something new every day thanks to you.

Carbs are the favourite source of energy for your body. Thus, by reducing carbs after a bulk and engaging in appropriate calories deficit, you should be able to cut more effectively than if did not reduce them.

gbullock32
04-02-2014, 03:47 AM
Guys correct me if my idea is wrong. I learn something new every day thanks to you.

Carbs are the favourite source of energy for your body. Thus, by reducing carbs after a bulk and engaging in appropriate calories deficit, you should be able to cut more effectively than if did not reduce them.Caloric deficit determines weight loss, amount of carbs is personal preference. Some people respond better to low carb, some to high carb; only trial and error will tell you which category you fall into.

n0useforaname
04-02-2014, 04:27 AM
Do yourself a favor.. ditch Hydroxycut, eat carbs, eat at a deficit with a balanced diet, enjoy life.

SuffolkPunch
04-02-2014, 04:38 AM

Carbs are the favourite source of energy for your body. Thus, by reducing carbs after a bulk and engaging in appropriate calories deficit, you should be able to cut more effectively than if did not reduce them.
Not true - since the alternative is to eat fat (protein behaves somewhat the same as carb) which is stored directly into adipose tissue. So it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Differeing levels of insulin resistance may make it better for some people to keep carbs down to a low-moderate level when dieting. I certainly used to have to do this. These days I don't really have to care about the carb proportion.

lee__d
04-02-2014, 04:40 AM
Differeing levels of insulin resistance may make it better for some people to keep carbs down to a low-moderate level when dieting. I certainly used to have to do this. These days I don't really have to care about the carb proportion.

^This.

If you feel and perform well with a lot of carbs in your diet, no reason not to keep them as high as you can (while hitting other macros, yadda yadda yadda).

RedeemerZG
04-02-2014, 05:15 AM
I would transform this question into:
good or bad carbs when cutting?

thermodynamics....

diabetes.. Sugar addiction... Insuline spikes(locking fat stores)...

ahhhh... Personal preference & trial/error
along with deficit.

JakeyC
04-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Caloric deficit determines weight loss, amount of carbs is personal preference. Some people respond better to low carb, some to high carb; only trial and error will tell you which category you fall into.

Perfect answer right there in my opinion.