PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for the week

Antparry92
03-31-2014, 06:51 AM
Finding it really hard to cook from scratch everyday and was wondering what sort of plans you have for prepping for the week ahead? :)

Dudeman258
03-31-2014, 07:00 AM
Cook food you like in bulk. Put it in Tupperware. Save time and $$. Eat like a boss. GL

VmissileX
03-31-2014, 07:03 AM
I just started doing this yesterday (it is very cost effective aswell!)

I baught about 5lbs of chicken breast at wegmans of 1.99lb split it into 8oz per meal

Baught some brocolli aswell (frozen bags) about 4 for 1.00 a bag

Baught some ground beef (3lbs for 6 bucks), and some green peppers aswell (5 for 1.50).

Peanut butter as a snack too (2.50)

So i'm making a slew of stuffed peppers, chicken breast, and brocolli to bulk for the week.

Splitting costs up using 8oz of chicken breast per meal (1.00), 1.25oz of ground beef a pepper (~~50 cents a stuffed pepper) and brocolli i am estimating 50 cents a meal...i think one meal is costing me 2 bucks alltogether..if i choose to add peanut butter to my meal i spent a whopping 2.50 on a meal (and its pretty filling too)

I'm loving it.

Antparry92
03-31-2014, 07:07 AM
I just started doing this yesterday (it is very cost effective aswell!)

I baught about 5lbs of chicken breast at wegmans of 1.99lb split it into 8oz per meal

Baught some brocolli aswell (frozen bags) about 4 for 1.00 a bag

Baught some ground beef (3lbs for 6 bucks), and some green peppers aswell (5 for 1.50).

Peanut butter as a snack too (2.50)

So i'm making a slew of stuffed peppers, chicken breast, and brocolli to bulk for the week.

Splitting costs up using 8oz of chicken breast per meal (1.00), 1.25oz of ground beef a pepper (~~50 cents a stuffed pepper) and brocolli i am estimating 50 cents a meal...i think one meal is costing me 2 bucks alltogether..if i choose to add peanut butter to my meal i spent a whopping 2.50 on a meal (and its pretty filling too)

I'm loving it.
This is what I'm looking for thanks....Looks really really good :) How long does it keep for roughly?

VmissileX
03-31-2014, 07:11 AM
This is what I'm looking for thanks....Looks really really good :) How long does it keep for roughly?

If you freeze it can last quite some time.

i'm doing a 3 days in fridge, 3 days in freezer thing just to be safe for the later meals.

Pop in the microwave when your ready to eat and you are good.

Antparry92
03-31-2014, 07:16 AM

i'm doing a 3 days in fridge, 3 days in freezer thing just to be safe for the later meals.

Ahh nice,so just take a meal out everytime you use one up so you have a constant supply both in the fridge and the freezer :)

VmissileX
03-31-2014, 07:23 AM
Ahh nice,so just take a meal out everytime you use one up so you have a constant supply both in the fridge and the freezer :)

Yep...i'm hoping my best to try to keep food costs under 40 bucks this week (all 7 days).

Gonna see if its possible.
This is counting money for protein shakes/milk.

Dudeman258
03-31-2014, 07:35 AM
I do cooked chicken every week as well. I keep it up to 7days in the fridge and have had no issues...yet.

Antparry92
03-31-2014, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the help guys...Will start prepping for the week ahead on sundays from now on :)

Dudeman258
03-31-2014, 09:29 AM
Dug out some pics. This is my avg lunch. 5oz chicken breast, 3oz beans/veggie, maybe rice, and always 1-2oz cheese :)

Usually comes out around 400cal and is very filling with around 45g protein for that macro successss. Gainz all day.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/Dudeman258/Nomz/photo4_zpscef1d629.jpg (http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Dudeman258/media/Nomz/photo4_zpscef1d629.jpg.html)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/Dudeman258/Nomz/a6d4fd8b-5311-43df-9004-749bf51d64b1_zps5833c6a8.jpg (http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Dudeman258/media/Nomz/a6d4fd8b-5311-43df-9004-749bf51d64b1_zps5833c6a8.jpg.html)

Edit: If you are bulking or looking for more cal, you could easily beef up these meals with more cheese, avocado, some cookies or nuts on the side...you get the point.

InItForFitness
03-31-2014, 09:33 AM
Cook 5 days worth of meat/starches on Sunday.
Package them in Tupperware.

Veggies + Salad are prepped fresh that morning before leaving to work.
Grab a piece of fruit to go with it.

Really a simple process.
Just pick foods you like, season them up good, and enjoy.

CidBronwen
03-31-2014, 09:47 AM

Frozen stuff will keep a pretty long time.

Per generally accepted restaurant standards (SafeServe). You can keep prepped items refrigerated for up to 6 days before it has to be used. But even then you need to make sure to reheat things properly and they are cooked to temp to start with. Also when prepping you should get everything under 42 degrees within 4 hours of cooking it. Be careful loading up a fridge or freezer cause they aren't designed to cool foods, just keep cold stuff cold. A lot of warm items put into it at once can bring the whole fridge out of temp.

Items that won't be reheated before eating are your highest risk for contamination. Usually veggies and stuff. Personally I prep cups of broccoli a week in advance with no problems, but veggies that don't hold up as well should be done daily.

That's all from a professional standpoint, yes you can get away with longer/ other deviations.

I prep stuff 6 days out, chicken/beef with noodles and a broccoli cup. Tuna to fill in missing days. Nuts and yogurt are great fillers that don't need any prep either.