PDA

View Full Version : Rice question

adamlee34
03-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Hey everyone,

This question gets asked a lot and I've seen a lot of different answers so I'm going to provide alittle info. I got this jasmine brown rice today and wanted to cook it for my lunches. Got it at a farmers market so there aren't really any instructions, just that a serving size is 1/4 cup dry. So I made 3 cups dry mixed with 6 cups water in the rice cooker. Anyone know what a cooked serving size would be? Went with 3/4 cup because that was the most common but I've seen everything from 1/4 cup to 1 full cup. Any help?

beastlymandude
03-30-2014, 04:14 PM
A serving size is 1/4 cup dry and you used 3 cups dry, so you made 12 servings of rice. You can factor 12 servings in and simply approximate how much you eat in a serving (it's not a big deal if you're off a little as in the end, 12 servings will be accounted for). Or you can use a scale and weigh the rice after it's cooked and divide that number by 12 if you want to split the portions up evenly.

GreatAlbert
03-30-2014, 04:20 PM
I took a brief look on the web, but most everybody report serving sizes for uncooked rice. I have two ideas that might help you:

1) If your serving size for uncooked rice is 1/4 of a cup, and you cook 3 * 4/4 cups, you are cooking 12 *1/4, or 12 servings. Thus, you could just divide anything that is in the rice cooker times 12 and you would be sure.

2) Otherwise, I think I would cook 1/4 of cup of dry rice and see what the volume would be if cooked.

adamlee34
03-30-2014, 04:30 PM
I took a brief look on the web, but most everybody report serving sizes for uncooked rice. I have two ideas that might help you:

1) If your serving size for uncooked rice is 1/4 of a cup, and you cook 3 * 4/4 cups, you are cooking 12 *1/4, or 12 servings. Thus, you could just divide anything that is in the rice cooker times 12 and you would be sure.

2) Otherwise, I think I would cook 1/4 of cup of dry rice and see what the volume would be if cooked.

I think after all the suggestions cooking 1 serving and seeing what it weighs out to is going to be what I do. Dang. Haha was hoping it'd be easier.

Domicron
03-30-2014, 04:34 PM
I think after all the suggestions cooking 1 serving and seeing what it weighs out to is going to be what I do. Dang. Haha was hoping it'd be easier.

did you not see beastlymandude's reply? because that's spot on.

adamlee34
03-30-2014, 04:54 PM
did you not see beastlymandude's reply? because that's spot on.

I did, and I agree I wish I would have thought of that, but I actually did 3/4 cup servings earlier for my lunches, so I guess now the easiest is to just do one serving. But that's an idea I wish I would have thought of earlier.

Domicron
03-30-2014, 05:02 PM
I did, and I agree I wish I would have thought of that, but I actually did 3/4 cup servings earlier for my lunches, so I guess now the easiest is to just do one serving. But that's an idea I wish I would have thought of earlier.

um, if you reread his answer he's telling you what to do now: take a look at what's left and approximate how much is there, figure that into 12ths and proceed.

worst case if it's super important, just factor in 12 servings of rice into your next 3-4 days of eating (i could finish it in less, maybe) and then you've got all accounted for