PDA

View Full Version : Building muscle after you were once big

appletoper
03-21-2014, 06:42 AM
Hello. I'm wondering if someone can explain to me why it's so much easier building muscle back up once you have already been big in the past. I was at my biggest a year ago, then basically left the gym for 10 months, literally did zero weightlifting. I lost a lot of muscle. Now I'm back for three weeks, and I'm 80% back to what I was before, and my muscles have grown so quickly.

What is the physiological explanation of why the body seems to have a muscle memory???

Thanks!

PBateman2
03-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Google "Muscle memory consolidation" and "Hebb's rule"……to get an idea.

ironwill2008
03-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Hello. I'm wondering if someone can explain to me why it's so much easier building muscle back up once you have already been big in the past. I was at my biggest a year ago, then basically left the gym for 10 months, literally did zero weightlifting. I lost a lot of muscle. Now I'm back for three weeks, and I'm 80% back to what I was before, and my muscles have grown so quickly.

What is the physiological explanation of why the body seems to have a muscle memory???

Thanks!

I've read a few theories on the physiology of muscle 'memory,' the most plausible to me being that of the fascial tissue being previously stretched, and it's "re-expansion" thus being a bit easier to accomplish. Previously-established CNS links from the brain to the motor units is also a fair explanation, IMO.

But IMO, there's a much more practical aspect at work here; you're simply retracing familiar ground-----you already know which exercises/sets/reps work best for you, you already know how to perform all the exercises with correct form, you know how to eat, and how much rest you require to adequately recover, etc. IOW, you're simply saving all the time it took you to learn all that stuff your first time around when you were a stone-cold noob.