PDA

View Full Version : Is Dante Exum really that good? (baller from Australia)

WertDerFerk
03-18-2014, 04:55 PM
I keep seeing that he's going to be a top 10 pick in the up and coming NBA draft, but what makes him so good? There's a lack of highlights from him on YouTube since he's only 18 and hasn't played any college ball, but from what I can see he kinda reminds me of Tayshaun Prince.

OutWorkedByNo1
03-18-2014, 04:57 PM
never seen him play.

all i know is that he's a 6'6 PG who's real athletic.

WertDerFerk
03-18-2014, 05:00 PM
never seen him play.

all i know is that he's a 6'6 PG who's real athletic.

From what I've seen he isn't all that athletic for an NBA PG. He's got some good speed, but his length is his biggest asset.

TaeBoNinja
03-18-2014, 05:06 PM
I've seen his vids, but he doesn't really standout. Looks like a "potential" guy

HankScorp1o
03-18-2014, 05:45 PM
High basketball IQ. Brings his lunch pail to work. Team player. Deceptive speed.

evansanity
03-18-2014, 05:47 PM
High basketball IQ. Brings his lunch pail to work. Team player. Deceptive speed.

Just from looking at some google images it doesn't look like it

BullBoy8
03-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Derrick Rose is his Idol and who he emulates, and also Kobe. He did work in the Fiba U19 last year leading Australia to the title and winning (I think). That is where all his hype comes from. He is smart not to go to college and if I were him, I would only workout for the Lakers and Magic. Keep your stock as high as possible. If he came to play college ball, his stock could go nowhere but down.

LordFarquaad69
03-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Seen him play in person a couple times, have some friends who played against him for years. He was underwhelming when I saw him play. He has great length for a pg and is lightning quick, looks to attack the rim and is a good distributor. Good finisher inside aswell but his jumper is a work in progress.

Edit: kinda similar to MCW at this stage I'd say although I think he'll end up a better player than MCW. Also I think he'll end up playing 2 guard not pg.

ballzofpeaze
03-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Seen him play in person a couple times, have some friends who played against him for years. He was underwhelming when I saw him play. He has great length for a pg and is lightning quick, looks to attack the rim and is a good distributor. Good finisher inside aswell but his jumper is a work in progress.

Edit: kinda similar to MCW at this stage I'd say although I think he'll end up a better player than MCW. Also I think he'll end up playing 2 guard not pg.

Pretty spot on. Seems like a humbled guy too.

I'd love to see him to go the magic to pair him with oladipo in the back court. Crazy defensive potential

jross2021
03-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Pretty spot on. Seems like a humbled guy too.

I'd love to see him to go the magic to pair him with oladipo in the back court. Crazy defensive potential

Exum, Oladipo, Afflalo. Notbad.jpg

aal04
03-18-2014, 08:04 PM

friggen goat material right there. brb

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTY5WDc1MA==/z/E2EAAOxy4dNSyFWs/$_35.JPG

mike2k14
03-18-2014, 08:37 PM
He is the most explosive PG I have ever seen outside of Russell Westbrook. Hes impossible to stay in front of. Highlight tapes do not show it. You have to see game footage.

StreetSharks
03-18-2014, 08:38 PM
can someone post a vid?

travellingbrah
03-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Good finisher around the rim, high iq, fast, plenty of length. Shoot first type of pg. Reminds me of a lengthier, less athletic Russell Westbrook. Definitely got top 10 pg potential but not much better.

He's technically Australian but he's the son of an American professional basketball player who somehow ended up in Australia.

TouchMeBrah
03-18-2014, 10:05 PM
I was wondering the same, in some random talks I've heard the Lakers will be getting the 4th-5th pick and will try to go for Exum/WILL take Exum if hes still on the board.

Not much credibility to the things said above but if my team is gonna potentially go for him I want to be aware of what hes bringing to the table.

Cot Daym Nash sucking up all the money next season though, I hope they just don't play him and start Exum right away with Nash collecting the money as simply a mentor to the kid for a full season.

THAT would have me more comfortable with him getting the money than him actually playing because his career shouldve been done when he left Phoenix.

jassako
03-18-2014, 11:10 PM
can someone post a vid?

Here's his scouting video

vSadteflk9Y

After Embiid and Wiggins, Exum has the highest potential in the draft. He needs to work on his strength and outside shooting, but the athleticism and quickness are there.

Suit
03-18-2014, 11:53 PM
Here is the breakdown as to why he is so good/sought after.

1) You can't teach someone to be 6'6.

2) You can't teach someone to have a high basketball IQ. (this includes things like court vision)

3) You can't teach someone to be quick/athletic at that height.

ballzofpeaze
03-19-2014, 12:51 AM
Good finisher around the rim, high iq, fast, plenty of length. Shoot first type of pg. Reminds me of a lengthier, less athletic Russell Westbrook. Definitely got top 10 pg potential but not much better.

He's technically Australian but he's the son of an American professional basketball player who somehow ended up in Australia.

His dad played in the NBL (our national basketball league) after his college career at UNC. His dad played with MJ

krowbro
03-19-2014, 02:25 AM
i will try bring pros and cons, i am big on the guy obviously (as i am a homer) and simmons as well, but i think his game will translate very well

first off, with regards to athleticism, i wouldn't call him explosive in the same etch as westbrook/carter, that is - his vertical whilst good isn't elite. he is however, extremely agile and quick for his size, which draws the rose comparison (in the way he drives so sharply, also that he said he wanted to emulate his game). he's not quite as quick as wall but he'd be up there with some of the top athletes, and he has exceptional length for a PG which combined with a great IQ could lead to impressive defensive potential.

pros -
biggest pro is his playmaking and his IQ. he is someone who likes to bring players into the game, almost selflessly to a fault. he is very much so 'a student of the game' and is already a high-level coach at the AIS, which is a world leading sports facility (albeit not the most advanced facility with specificity to basketball). he reads the floor pretty well and his game has translated very well on an international level, obviously we haven't seen him at college or nba level yet but i think his accolades internationally deserve a lot of merit.

athleticism and height which you can't teach, is fast and great at getting to the rim, but he has IMO a fundamental flaw which i will discuss about his finishing. however, his great driving often allows him to set up teammates.

he is also a good rebounder and defender, i can see him performing similarly to MCW at the moment - with a better playmaking/bball IQ

his character is also really good, people have wrongly criticised him out of context about his meetings with lakers and orlando without knowing the backstory. he is by all accounts a very humble and hard-working player who is hungry to make an impression on the nba, i also see him being able to handle pressure very well. he could be a leader.

cons -
he is a good finisher at the rim with his right hand, but he overuses it. not just in highlights but in real games you will see this, where he will go out of his to finish with his right hand over his left; a lot of those spots would lead him to being blocked in NBA or against a good rim defender. he's quick and can get the lead on most defenders but he needs to show more confidence with his left. even watching that highlight video you will understand what i'm talking about; teams will exploit this

he has a pretty bad jump shot (nba standards), with some range from 3, but he definetly needs to work on it as he has a bit of a hitch on his mechanics. not the best free throw shooter for someone who can get to the line so easily. he is very young though and with nba coaching that will fast improve, and it already has improved (especially since that video).

i would take him #4, over randle, but it completely depends on the team drafting him. i would love to see him work with kobe and have nash tutor him, that would be pretty fun.

Rebounds45
03-19-2014, 03:31 AM
can he post up like Mike or Kobe?

woodsmash
03-19-2014, 06:03 AM
his the next GOAT bro