PDA

View Full Version : Looking back at the WR's drafted from the 09 class

Gerald151
03-18-2014, 12:39 PM
I remember 2-3 years ago thinking how it was the best WR class I've ever seen. Now all these guys have fallen off, mostly due to injuries.

Darrius Heyward-Bey
Michael Crabtree
Jeremy Maclin
Percy Harvin
Hakeem Nicks
Kenny Britt
Mohamed Massaquoi
Mike Wallace
Mike Thomas
Brian Hartline
Louis Murphy
Austin Collie
Johnny Knox

How would you currently rank the top 3 of this class?

canuck604
03-18-2014, 12:44 PM
1. Crabtree (yes, homer)
2. Harvin
3. Wallace

Maclin close 4th. Harvin probably #1 if he stayed healthy

cor030
03-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Crabtree
Harvin
Maclin

was hard, Crabtree/Harvin are interchangeable 1/2 IMO

and I was a big fan of Knox. remember the hit that ended his career... just awful :\

LikeAMachine
03-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Mohamed Massaquoi

lel

iamgenus
03-18-2014, 12:57 PM
1. Crabtree
2. Harvin
3. Nicks

bigcc
03-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Tough choice as a lot of these guys had down seasons due to injury.

My prediction for this UPCOMING season

1.A. Crabtree
1.B. Harvin
3. Nicks
4. Maclin
5. Britt (so long as not WAS, skeptical on STL as well)

apappas7787
03-18-2014, 01:21 PM
1.) Crabtree
2.) Mike Wallace
3.) Nicks

MurkinSeason
03-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Hartline has been alright at times

eatyourspinach
03-18-2014, 03:23 PM
Maclin, Wallace, Nicks (though he didn't do much last year). If Harvin stays healthy this year it should be interesting.

niknguyen
03-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Crab
Wallace
Maclin

Wallace 2nd only because he's been the healthiest, but crab >>> Wallace either way

Would include harvin but it gave me a headache trying to figure out where I should put him

BEASTMODE420
03-18-2014, 04:22 PM
Comparing the two best of the class

Player- Crabtree
Games- 63
Rec- 279
Total Yards- 3643
TDs- 22
Fumbles Lost- 1

Player- Harvin
Games- 55
Rec- 281
Total Yards- 7,421
TDs- 30
Fumbles Lost- 4

wickedman
03-18-2014, 04:36 PM
LoL at ppl putting Harvin below Crabtree.

BEASTMODE420
03-18-2014, 05:09 PM
LoL at ppl putting Harvin below Crabtree.

People are prisoners of the moment. This season Crabtree did a lot more for his team but career wise Harvin has given his teams 4,000 more yards and 56 more points

HumptyBrah
03-18-2014, 05:11 PM
People are prisoners of the moment. This season Crabtree did a lot more for his team but career wise Harvin has given his teams 4,000 more yards and 56 more points
Harvin was better up until 2013, I agree. However, I need to see how he bounces back from all his injuries going forward.

niknguyen
03-18-2014, 05:13 PM

I'm judging them as receivers. What's his yardage total without returns.

And let's be real, if he want on the hawks, you wouldn't even give a **** about him

BEASTMODE420
03-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Harvin was better up until 2013, I agree. However, I need to see how he bounces back from all his injuries going forward.yea from this point on I think I'd take Crabtree. I hate that we lost golden Tate bc I don't believe Harvin will play 16 games ever again

BEASTMODE420
03-18-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm judging them as receivers. What's his yardage total without returns.

And let's be real, if he want on the hawks, you wouldn't even give a **** about him

3300 receiving
700 rushing
3200 returning

And so? Lol

HumptyBrah
03-18-2014, 05:32 PM
3300 receiving
700 rushing
3200 returning

And so? Lol
Mirin rushing total

cor030
03-18-2014, 05:39 PM
I like Crabtree a lot, but I think Harvin has a higher ceiling if he stays healthy. Unfortunately "if he stays healthy" is such a gigantic IF that I have to put Crabtree above him. Harvin could have been a truly special player if it weren't for his health issues.

Harvin's injury problems were very overstated in his first few seasons, though. The guy played 15 games in 2009(rookie season), 14 games in 2010, 16 games in 2011... so much was brought up regarding his migraines but they never actually caused him to miss many games. It wasn't until 2012 where he missed more than 2 games in a season, and then last year of course.

dannyg2127
03-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Comparing the two best of the class

Player- Crabtree
Games- 63
Rec- 279
Total Yards- 3643
TDs- 22
Fumbles Lost- 1

Player- Harvin
Games- 55
Rec- 281
Total Yards- 7,421
TDs- 30
Fumbles Lost- 4

Maclin
Games: 59
Rec. 258
Rec. Yards: 3453
TDs: 26
Fumbles: 3

Nicks
G: 70
Rec: 311
Rec yards: 4622
TDs: 27

Mike Wallace
Games: 64
Rec: 308
Rec yards: 4972
TDs: 37

Why is Crabtree the best of the class? I would probably take all 3 of those guys before Crabtree.

niknguyen
03-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Why is Crabtree the best of the class? I would probably take all 3 of those guys before Crabtree.

Nicks = injury prone phaggot. if he actually played he'd be good...0 16 game seasons...0TDs last season in 15 games. dafuq
wallace = 1 trick pony, stone hands.

crabtree got that yac, mane

Gerald151
03-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Maclin
Games: 59
Rec. 258
Rec. Yards: 3453
TDs: 26

Nicks
G: 70
Rec: 311
Rec yards: 4622
TDs: 27

Mike Wallace
Games: 64
Rec: 308
Rec yards: 4972
TDs: 37

Maclin over Crabtree? u wot m8?

And I love Nicks but he hasn't done **** lately and is constantly hurt.

cor030
03-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Nicks = injury prone phaggot. if he actually played he'd be good...0 16 game seasons...0TDs last season in 15 games. dafuq
wallace = 1 trick pony, stone hands.

crabtree got that yac, mane

by no means a Nicks fan but you can't really use the 'misses too many games' argument when the guys you're comparing him against have ALL played in less games(some significantly less).. and let's be real here, it's not like he's missing 5-6 games a season.. games played for each season since entering the league: 14, 13, 15, 13, 15. obviously you want a guy playing every game but I save the "injury prone" for dudes that routinely miss BIG chunks of seasons at a time. Jonathan Stewart for example(fuuuuuuu Marty Hurney).

niknguyen
03-18-2014, 08:52 PM
by no means a Nicks fan but you can't really use the 'misses too many games' argument when the guys you're comparing him against have ALL played in less games(some significantly less).. and let's be real here, it's not like he's missing 5-6 games a season.. games played for each season since entering the league: 14, 13, 15, 13, 15. obviously you want a guy playing every game but I save the "injury prone" for dudes that routinely miss BIG chunks of seasons at a time. Jonathan Stewart for example(fuuuuuuu Marty Hurney).

He's still hasnt produced in the past two years. Maclin, crab, wallace >>>

bigcc
03-18-2014, 08:53 PM
yea from this point on I think I'd take Crabtree. I hate that we lost golden Tate bc I don't believe Harvin will play 16 games ever again

I wouldn't bet on many players making it all 16 games tbh....

Am I the only one who saw what happened when harvin actually touched the ball this season? He now has a full offseason to recover, and Tate will get his numbers because they'll still be all in on megatron, but DC's will be spending hours gameplanning for Harvin.... the same was NEVER said for Tate

EDIT: Hell Tate had 142 snaps in the postseason, Harvin had 48, still produced more yardage, more yards per touch, and that's not including the 87 yard KR for a td or the penalties he drew

iamgenus
03-18-2014, 09:12 PM

Or people just aren't prisoners of the past moments?

Harvin did virtually nothing last year for Seattle. Crabtree meanwhile has been turning into an excellent receiver(despite what Richard Sherman would have us believe) and he's been handcuffed by a passing offense which has ranked 21st/22nd/31st/31st/32nd in passing attempts during his career there.

He also had a very hesitant Alex Smith throwing to him pre-Harbaugh. His numbers with Kap throwing to him put his ability on display way more.

Also very interesting how you decided to post TOTAL yards and TDs as opposed to receiving numbers...

Yes Harvin's return ability and his ability to run with the ball add to his value to a team but we're talking about the receiver class for a reason. You wouldn't say Jacoby Ford was a better receiver than Crabtree in 2010 cuz he had more total yards.

bigcc
03-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Or people just aren't prisoners of the past moments?

Harvin did virtually nothing last year for Seattle. Crabtree meanwhile has been turning into an excellent receiver(despite what Richard Sherman would have us believe) and he's been handcuffed by a passing offense which has ranked 21st/22nd/31st/31st/32nd in passing attempts during his career there.

He also had a very hesitant Alex Smith throwing to him pre-Harbaugh. His numbers with Kap throwing to him put his ability on display way more.

Also very interesting how you decided to post TOTAL yards and TDs as opposed to receiving numbers...

Yes Harvin's return ability and his ability to run with the ball add to his value to a team but we're talking about the receiver class for a reason. You wouldn't say Jacoby Ford was a better receiver than Crabtree in 2010 cuz he had more total yards.

Take the superbowl for example..... Does Ricardo lockette having more receiving yards than harvin make him a better WR? Is it not worth noting harvin led the team in rushing, and busted an 87 KR td? Otherwise his only impact on the game was a 5 yard reception.

cor030
03-18-2014, 09:56 PM
He's still hasnt produced in the past two years. Maclin, crab, wallace >>>

agreed. dude slacked and played himself outta becoming one of the top paid WR's in the NFL.

Crabtree is in a tier by himself in the group you just listed, though.

iamgenus
03-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Take the superbowl for example..... Does Ricardo lockette having more receiving yards than harvin make him a better WR? Is it not worth noting harvin led the team in rushing, and busted an 87 KR td? Otherwise his only impact on the game was a 5 yard reception.

Plenty of positions can return kicks and there are running backs who can run the ball. Receivers are graded out on how they help teams catch the ball. Yes no question Harvin is a dangerous player just found it humorous that bestmode went to the total yards to try to make his point.

IMO the future for Crabtree is brighter. He doesn't rely on his speed like Harvin does and is much more physical. Harvin has been injured way too often lately and as the years go by his speed will go away. Basically IMO, given their past, present and future Crabtree takes this.

bigcc
03-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Plenty of positions can return kicks and there are running backs who can run the ball. Receivers are graded out on how they help teams catch the ball. Yes no question Harvin is a dangerous player just found it humorous that bestmode went to the total yards to try to make his point.

IMO the future for Crabtree is brighter. He doesn't rely on his speed like Harvin does and is much more physical. Harvin has been injured way too often lately and as the years go by his speed will go away. Basically IMO, given their past, present and future Crabtree takes this.

His speed was quite clearly hampered in the super bowl /rolleyes.

As for physicality, in 2012 Harvin had 84 touches, crabtree had 86........ Harvin had 19 broken tackles, Crabtree had 14---- http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/broken-tackles-2012

Depends how you define physicality, before the ball is in their hands no doubt crabtree has the advantage, but over their careers once they have the ball Harvin is one of the tougher runner s in the NFL

You can look up and see I posted Crabtree as 1.A., but its really, really close IMO as to who the better player is.... there's more to being a WR than simply how they help teams catch the ball.

iamgenus
03-18-2014, 10:41 PM
His speed was quite clearly hampered in the super bowl /rolleyes.

As for physicality, in 2012 Harvin had 84 touches, crabtree had 86........ Harvin had 19 broken tackles, Crabtree had 14---- http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/broken-tackles-2012

Depends how you define physicality, before the ball is in their hands no doubt crabtree has the advantage, but over their careers once they have the ball Harvin is one of the tougher runner s in the NFL

You can look up and see I posted Crabtree as 1.A., but its really, really close IMO as to who the better player is.... there's more to being a WR than simply how they help teams catch the ball.

You can roll your eyes all you want but I was clearly saying down the road not while he's in the prime of his career...

The way I define physicality is based on their playing style. Crabtree makes things happen with his YAC due to his strength and not as much speed. Harvin relies more on speed which like I said before tends to go with age. Besides don't you find it interesting that despite all the game breaking ability Harvin has that his career yards per reception is 11.8 while Crabtree who is considered more of a possession receiver has a higher YPR at 13?

cbad7676
03-18-2014, 10:45 PM
but that 2010 WR class doe

bigcc
03-18-2014, 11:47 PM
You can roll your eyes all you want but I was clearly saying down the road not while he's in the prime of his career...

The way I define physicality is based on their playing style. Crabtree makes things happen with his YAC due to his strength and not as much speed. Harvin relies more on speed which like I said before tends to go with age. Besides don't you find it interesting that despite all the game breaking ability Harvin has that his career yards per reception is 11.8 while Crabtree who is considered more of a possession receiver has a higher YPR at 13?

I just gave you a broken tackles number.... does that not show strength? Harvin put up 19 reps at the combine on bench.... despite the size difference I bet Crabtree wouldn't have dropped that high a number.

canuck604
03-19-2014, 12:36 AM
I just gave you a broken tackles number.... does that not show strength? Harvin put up 19 reps at the combine on bench.... despite the size difference I bet Crabtree wouldn't have dropped that high a number.

Not necessarily. It could just be cutting/juking/spinning ability, which is a testament to Harvin's agility, not strength.

BEASTMODE420
03-19-2014, 06:22 AM

My apologies, I thought we were ranking the top 3 players from the OP. So far Harvin has been the best player.