PDA

View Full Version : Build Muscle and Loose Bodyfat

shane01101
03-18-2014, 12:23 AM
Every other day I do strength training and the rest of the days are cardio days. I try to burn 4000-5000 calories a week on eliptical. My goal is to loose 5 lbs in 15-20 days while building muscle for strength. Is this realistic and can anyone recommend a good diet? I eat a lot of vegetables, chicken, eggs, and avacado on most days. I try to consume 2200 calories with low carbs on cardio days and 2600 moderate carbs on strength days and always at least 100g protein per day. I am seeing results but I have just been making it up as I go and its more of gaining muscle with 1lb lost per week since I have been strength training past 3 weeks.

JonathanAH
03-18-2014, 12:54 AM
You can't build muscle while losing fat. It MIGHT be possible if your diet and training is perfect, you are really a noob/on dem roids. Post up a pi so we can see what you look like. Unless your are overweight, you should bulk up. This Means eating in a calorie surplus while training hard, and this will make you gain muscle AND a Little bit of fat. Then, when you have built a good amount of muscle, you cut down. This Means eating in a calorie deficit, so you lose fat while preserving yor muscle.

THSP
03-18-2014, 09:58 AM
I try to burn 4000-5000 calories a week on eliptical.

First off the elliptical is like the curling of Olympic sports - it's pretty weak. If you really want to make progress there's a lot better exercises.

Every other day I do strength training

If you're doing elliptical work I really doubt you are doing real strength training. Do you mean exercising with weights? Because that's completely different than strength training... Strength training is either targeting maximal effort (ME) or dynamic effort (DE). Training ME is usually targeting 85%+ your 1RM or in the 1 - 5 rep range and training DE is speed strength (explosive movements).

I am seeing results but I have just been making it up as I go and its more of gaining muscle with 1lb lost per week since I have been strength training past 3 weeks.

While strength training and bulking have some overlap these are very different... It's why we have different classifications for power lifters and body builders. Building mass is focusing on hypertrophy which is often recommended in the 6 - 8 rep range all the way up to high volume (40+ reps per set). You can gain strength without building an ounce of muscle. A novice lifter may only incorporate 20% of their muscle fibers in a single movement while an elite lifter may incorporate up to 80%. This means you can get 4x as strong without gaining any muscle. To further differentiate strength is trying movements while hypertrophy is training muscles.

Is this realistic.

You can lose weight and gain strength all at the same time very realistically, but as mentioned above building muscle is not a requirement to gain strength. It is possible to build muscle and lose fat, but it is very difficult. I'm trying to remember but Danny from "The Biggest Loser" gained 19 lbs of lean mass while losing 100 lbs or so of fat over three months. These results are atypical though and normally people gain a little fat while building muscle and lose a little muscle while losing fat.

shane01101
03-21-2014, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the replies, I uploaded a picture from today. I have been working out with weights for 4 weeks now. My short background is I had just recovered from partial torn rotator cuff which lasted 7 months which I got fat and now im trying to get back into shape as I was last year.I lost 15lbs in 3 months so now im at 165 by eating healthy but have now switched to a muscle mass diet. My main goal is to build muscle mass & get my bodyfat down to about 9%. I have switched from eliptical to treadmill splitting half my 5000-6000 calories burned to running and and the other half to max incline fast walk.

Yes I mean excercising with weights, I try to stay in 6-9 rep range besides pull ups with I do until max. I do p90x but modified so I dont do any of the high rep excerces, ill switch a high rep excercise to bench press (or a similar muscle group excercise to the p90x proposed) with about 8-9 reps to max. My workout is this every week for the past 4 weeks.
Sun - p90x chest/Back & 600 cal burn on eliptical (400 cardio and 200 walking)
Mon - 1000 calorie burn (600 cardio & 400 walking) & p90x ab ripper
Tues - p90x chest, shoulders, tries & 600 cal burn on eliptical (400 cardio and 200 walking)
Weds - Leg workout for about 30 minutes & 800 calories burn (all walking) & p90x ab ripper
Thurs - p90x chest/back & 600 cal burn on eliptical (400 cardio and 200 walking)
Fri - Leg workout for about 30 minutes & 800 calories burn (all walking incline) & p90x ab ripper
Sat - 1200 calorie burn (600 cardio & 600 walking) & p90x ab ripper

As I said above, I'm trying to build muscle mass and decrease body fat not strength training which I mistakenly said in previous post.

Huffbrah
03-21-2014, 11:41 PM
Eat dat extra protein cuzzz don't forget the supplements, creatine will help.

shane01101
03-21-2014, 11:52 PM
I have been making sure I get 130+ grams of protein when I do exercise with weights and about 100 grams on days when it’s just calorie burning days. I eat protein bars, protein shakes, and use cellulor c4 every day before workouts. I also take multivitamin, fish oil, and green tea pills. I have been looking into creatine and will incorporate that into my diet because I currently do not take and it is not in any of my supplements.

SuffolkPunch
03-22-2014, 12:40 AM
Very little that you do affects your level of nutrient partitioning. Read this:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

The bottom line is that for your stats, trying to "recomp" will be at best very inefficient, at worst you will make no progress. You would be better to cut down to 14%, do a mass gain phase to restore the lost weight, then cut to 12% - and bulk again for longer this time but never exceed 15% again without doing another cut phase.