PDA

View Full Version : Best NFL free agent acquisition?

eatyourspinach
03-17-2014, 08:44 PM
As much as I hate to admit it I think Darren Sproles is going to make Philly's offense redonkulous.

Upshall18
03-17-2014, 08:49 PM
As much as I hate to admit it I think Darren Sproles is going to make Philly's offense redonkulous.

Ya he was a crazy good free agent signing. Wonder what kind of comp pick the Saints will get...

TopsecretWaffle
03-17-2014, 09:24 PM
Ya he was a crazy good free agent signing. Wonder what kind of comp pick the Saints will get...

Pretty sure it was a 5th

neighborr
03-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Pretty sure it was a 5th

yep it was

Upshall18
03-17-2014, 09:30 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/012/132/thatsthejoke.jpg

in before Canadians shouldn't comment on NFL

kakaman
03-17-2014, 09:34 PM
Best CB in the league checking in

http://theawesomeboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Darrelle-Revis-Patriots.jpg

BorrachoDamor
03-17-2014, 09:36 PM
Revis IMO

Ware in denver if he's healthy. Him and miller could do some damage

MurkinSeason
03-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Revis IMO

Ware in denver if he's healthy. Him and miller could do some damage

That's a big ole if

jsmoor09
03-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Sproles is a nice addition, and keeping Shady fresh helps keep him effective/prolongs his career.

But, he averaged 4.2 YPC to Bryce Brown's 4.2 YPC.
He averaged 8.5 YPR to Brown's 10.5 YPR.

Then factor in 1 is on the decline and one is 22--I don't think the Eagles improved drastically in terms of their 2nd Running back.

DaarioNaharis
03-17-2014, 10:09 PM
http://theawesomeboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Darrelle-Revis-Patriots.jpg

this ^^^^

Wu-Massacre
03-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Sproles is a nice addition, and keeping Shady fresh helps keep him effective/prolongs his career.

But, he averaged 4.2 YPC to Bryce Brown's 4.2 YPC.
He averaged 8.5 YPR to Brown's 10.5 YPR.

Then factor in 1 is on the decline and one is 22--I don't think the Eagles improved drastically in terms of their 2nd Running back.You just compared Bryce Brown's 8 catches for 84 yards to Sproles 71/604

jsmoor09
03-17-2014, 10:29 PM
You just compared Bryce Brown's 8 catches for 84 yards to Sproles 71/604

I guess I left out the 89 vs 13 Targets too

I compared their bodies of work from LOS. By itself, the receiving stats don't tell the story. That's why you include the rushing stats too. The point is that Sproles isn't drastically more explosive than Brown.

Put Brown out in space and throw him 90 balls, I bet he catches a bunch of them too. But, I don't think that Sproles (who will be 31 at the start of the season) is a major upgrade over what they have.

bigcc
03-18-2014, 12:17 AM
Alterraun Verner...... dude turned 25 4 months ago (meaning he probably hasn't even hit his prime), 2nd team all pro, smart dude (during the NFL lockout although already drafted, returned to UCLA to finish his degree in mathematics and applied science, no injury history, no legal troubles

and got picked up at ~6.5 mil per year... of the 14 mil guaranteed, 8 is for this year, then 2015: $4M guarantees on 5th league day, 2016: $2M guarantees on 5th league day

so if this WAS a fluke year, they can just drop him with no dead cap room.

brb_ballin
03-18-2014, 12:31 AM
Byrd to Saints is huge.

much improved defense... adds a veteran next to Vacarro

bigcc
03-18-2014, 12:37 AM
Byrd to Saints is huge.

much improved defense... adds a veteran next to Vacarro

Meh, pretty much lost Graham and/or Jordan next year with that contract dough

Amaso
03-18-2014, 12:38 AM
Revis + Browner for Pats

Ware + Ward + Talib for Broncos

Both those teams are huge winners...

Sproles is past his prime, I didn't get to see too much of him this past season... but from what I heard from others and what I saw he isn't a impact player anymore. Kind of like Ray Rice. Running backs in general dont tend to make teams better, unless you have superstar RB's like a McCoy/Peterson/Charles type.

HankScorp1o
03-18-2014, 12:44 AM
Lesbe-honest: Pats-homerism aside, it's clearly Revis THA GAWD especially because the financials work out so nicely for New England this year.

That said, Sproles is solid for Philly and that run game could be naaaaaasty next year. It at least widens the gap in the NFC East significantly.

DaarioNaharis
03-18-2014, 12:44 AM
Tampa made some nice pick ups with adding some more depth to their D-Line(Michael Johnson), keeping their secondary in tact by replacing Revis with Verner, and signing Josh McGoat as their QB.. Still kinda early, but i can see them going 9-7 this season

HankScorp1o
03-18-2014, 12:46 AM
Tampa made some nice pick ups with adding some more depth to their D-Line(Michael Johnson), keeping their secondary in tact by replacing Revis with Verner, and signing Josh McGoat as their QB.. Still kinda early, but i can see them going 9-7 this seasonThis too. People are sleepin on Tampa because they waived Revis and well... because they're Tampa, but they're quietly making some serious moves and stacking their lineup nicely.

UltimateRiot
03-18-2014, 01:17 AM
Lesbe-honest: Pats-homerism aside, it's clearly Revis THA GAWD especially because the financials work out so nicely for New England this year.

That said, Sproles is solid for Philly and that run game could be naaaaaasty next year. It at least widens the gap in the NFC East significantly.

Revis was a nice pick-up but it may just be for a year due to the way the 2yr contract is structured. If he doesn't re-negotiate then he will be cut.

I'd have to say Browner was the best acquisition so far, probably due to how great the deal is for the Patriots.

Total value: $12.35 million
Maximum value: $16.8 million
Signing bonus: $0

Base: $1 million (guaranteed)
Offseason workout bonus: $250,000
Roster bonus: $500,000 for making the 53-man roster at any point during the season (just has to be on it for one day and he sees this)
Second roster bonus: $150,000 per game he's on the 46-man roster
Playtime incentives: Up to $1.25 million

Base: $1.9 million
Roster bonus: $2 million (90-man roster at start of league year)
Second roster bonus: $100,000 per game he’s on the 46-man roster
Playtime incentives: Up to $500,000 ($250k for 75 percent playing time; another $250k for 85 percent playing time)

Base: $1.9 million
Roster bonus: $2 million (90-man roster at start of league year)
Second roster bonus: $100,000 per game he’s on the 46…
Playtime incentives: Up to $500,000 ($250k for 75 percent playing time; another $250k for 85 percent playing time)

HankScorp1o
03-18-2014, 01:33 AM
Revis was a nice pick-up but it may just be for a year due to the way the 2yr contract is structured. If he doesn't re-negotiate then he will be cut.
True, and these types of deals that are heavily loaded on the backside usually lead to re-nogiations (if the player wants to stay and the team wants him there, obviously). I'm not too worried about that. If he does well, odds are the Pats will offer him a long-term contract for more money, if not... no hard feelings, see ya around.

I agree we got Browner for a good price too, but I'm not as sold on him yet.

Anyways, the way injuries decimated the Pats last year was a perfect example of how there's no guarantee of anything so we'll see how the rest of FA and the draft shakes out.

UltimateRiot
03-18-2014, 01:39 AM
True, and these types of deals that are heavily loaded on the backside usually lead to re-nogiations (if the player wants to stay and the team wants him there, obviously). I'm not too worried about that. If he does well, odds are the Pats will offer him a long-term contract for more money, if not... no hard feelings, see ya around.

I agree we got Browner for a good price too, but I'm not as sold on him yet.

Anyways, the way injuries decimated the Pats last year was a perfect example of how there's no guarantee of anything so we'll see how the rest of FA and the draft shakes out.

He's historically been very money hungry but on the other side, a lot of people come to New England and love the atmosphere. We'll have to wait and see with Revis.

Yeah, the fact that we even made it as far as we did was nothing short of a miracle. Pats should have decent depth for the secondary at the very least this year though. I think we just need to resign Blount and I'd be content.

uanjum
03-18-2014, 02:30 AM
When the texans signed....oh wait that's right. They didn't sign anybody in typical texans fashion.