PDA

View Full Version : Contracts in the NBA

sn24
03-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Instead of a yearly salary, let's say $8.2 million per year, they should make it a per game thing. So instead of $8.2 million for a year, they can pay the player $100k per game and get paid at the end of the season for however many games they played. That way guys like Steve Nash don't get paid almost $10 million dollars per year to sit on the bench. Thoughts?

Edit: I agree, the players association will never agree to anything even close to this, but it would make a lot of sense for a system like this to be implemented

1fapalldey
03-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Instead of a yearly salary, let's say $8.2 million per year, they should make it a per game thing. So instead of $8.2 million for a year, they can pay the player $100k per game and get paid at the end of the season for however many games they played. That way guys like Steve Nash don't get paid almost $10 million dollars per year to sit on the bench. Thoughts?

Thats a good idea but you think the nba players association would go for that fuk , no there would be a strike asap

airdog93
03-16-2014, 02:14 PM
guaranteed contracts=nfl

though many contracts have clauses that promise more $$ for staying healthy

blame the lakers front office for offering steve nash such a dumb contract

Reptarr
03-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Like the player's union would let that **** fly

sn24
03-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Thats a good idea but you think the nba players association would go for that fuk , no there would be a strike asap

Yeah I agree. I think all contracts should be based on games played and performance so that guys like Joe Johnson don't get $20mil+ per year.

03-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Yeah I agree. I think all contracts should be based on games played and performance so that guys like Joe Johnson don't get $20mil+ per year.

I agree with them being paid based on games played, but i don't think performance should be a factor. The GMs need to know what they're working with before they sign them to x contract.

If a team is dumb enough to give Joe Johnson $20mil/year, they should suffer the consequences.

sn24
03-16-2014, 02:47 PM
I agree with them being paid based on games played, but i don't think performance should be a factor. The GMs need to know what they're working with before they sign them to x contract.

If a team is dumb enough to give Joe Johnson $20mil/year, they should suffer the consequences.

That's true also. But a lot of times (Larry Sanders is one example I can think of) as soon as the player gets his pay day he seems to stop giving a chit and won't play as hard.

03-16-2014, 02:55 PM
That's true also. But a lot of times (Larry Sanders is one example I can think of) as soon as the player gets his pay day he seems to stop giving a chit and won't play as hard.

and if a team doesn't trust him they can sign him to a shorter deal or trade him down the line if he doesn't perform. GMs sometimes have to take risks if they want to be successful.

SighGR
03-16-2014, 02:57 PM
That's stupid.

I hate fans thinking not guaranteeing contracts somehow will make their teams better. All you're doing is fukin the players over.

Nash isn't playing because he's hurt, not because he's dogging it

skizz
03-16-2014, 02:59 PM
If that were to happend RIP in peace defense.

lee4
03-16-2014, 03:08 PM
yeah, and players that perform beyond what their contracts justify should be free to cancel the contract and demand higher pay, right???

sn24
03-16-2014, 03:13 PM
That's stupid.

I hate fans thinking not guaranteeing contracts somehow will make their teams better. All you're doing is fukin the players over.

Nash isn't playing because he's hurt, not because he's dogging it

It isn't his fault that he's injured but still not fair that he gets paid almost $10 million per year to sit on the bench. It is the Lakers fault for signing someone who should have already retired to a 3 year deal. But I'm not only talking about Nash, I'm talking about players in the NBA in general who get paid to sit on the bench.

chlaxman
03-16-2014, 03:15 PM
So lets say a guy tears his ACL in the preseason or like first game of the season...he gets absolutely NO salary for the year? And what would happen to all that freed up money? The owners get it? Sorry I'm not going to cry for a bunch of billionaires that get tons of tax breaks from their teams who are swimming in cash from TV contracts from a monopoly when they sign a player to a bad contract (when it doesn't even really hurt them financially).

sn24
03-16-2014, 03:18 PM
So lets say a guy tears his ACL in the preseason or like first game of the season...he gets absolutely NO salary for the year? And what would happen to all that freed up money? The owners get it? Sorry I'm not going to cry for a bunch of billionaires that get tons of tax breaks from their teams who are swimming in cash from TV contracts from a monopoly when they sign a player to a bad contract (when it doesn't even really hurt them financially).

There should be some guaranteed money. For example if they average $100,000 per game, if they sit out for whatever reason, they get $25,000 instead of that $100,000.

chlaxman
03-16-2014, 03:20 PM
There should be some guaranteed money. For example if they average $100,000 per game, if they sit out for whatever reason, they get $25,000 instead of that $100,000.

But in general what happens to all that lost salary?

sn24
03-16-2014, 03:22 PM
But in general what happens to all that lost salary?

Good question, didn't think that far lol. And I'm not really sure how salary caps would work either. Guess I didn't think about this idea hard enough lol

SighGR
03-16-2014, 03:34 PM
It isn't his fault that he's injured but still not fair that he gets paid almost $10 million per year to sit on the bench. It is the Lakers fault for signing someone who should have already retired to a 3 year deal. But I'm not only talking about Nash, I'm talking about players in the NBA in general who get paid to sit on the bench.
There's nothing unfair about it. These things happen, and they should have known signing a 38 yr old PG to a 3 yr contract would come with risks. And his injury was freakish anyway. Stop feeling bad for billionaires. The Lakers aren't hurting for money.

And the players are paid on a game by game basis. That's why when someone gets suspended, they lose a game check.

Un-guaranteed contracts isn't what makes football successful.

sn24
03-16-2014, 03:41 PM
There's nothing unfair about it. These things happen, and they should have known signing a 38 yr old PG to a 3 yr contract would come with risks. And his injury was freakish anyway. Stop feeling bad for billionaires. The Lakers aren't hurting for money.

And the players are paid on a game by game basis. That's why when someone gets suspended, they lose a game check.

Un-guaranteed contracts isn't what makes football successful.

I don't give a chit about the billionaires, I mostly care about my team's salary cap situation

chlaxman
03-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Good question, didn't think that far lol. And I'm not really sure how salary caps would work either. Guess I didn't think about this idea hard enough lol

I think they should have a kind of rolling Amnesty Clause. Every number of years (maybe every 3 or every 5) every team is given an Amnesty to use once during that period. Resets once the period is up whether they've used it or not. That frees up the cap-killing contract and doesn't reduce the amount of money to players (actually increases it).

sn24
03-16-2014, 04:27 PM
I think they should have a kind of rolling Amnesty Clause. Every number of years (maybe every 3 or every 5) every team is given an Amnesty to use once during that period. Resets once the period is up whether they've used it or not. That frees up the cap-killing contract and doesn't reduce the amount of money to players (actually increases it).

I like that idea, and also maybe instead of requiring a team to use the amnesty on a player that was on the team when the new CBA was signed they would allow the team to use it on anyone.

wifestealer
03-16-2014, 04:36 PM

just sounds like a way to reward retarded management.

RAdaRuggedMan
03-16-2014, 05:08 PM
BRB coaches on losing teams purposely sitting their highest paid/best players just so the team won't play them.

chlaxman
03-16-2014, 05:08 PM
I like that idea, and also maybe instead of requiring a team to use the amnesty on a player that was on the team when the new CBA was signed they would allow the team to use it on anyone.

Well it would just be open to use in on whomever they wanted.

just sounds like a way to reward retarded management.

Very possible. If you want to talk about disincentifizing tanking, my plan for that would be to have a tournament for teams that don't make the playoffs and the winners get the top picks.

wifestealer
03-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Very possible. If you want to talk about disincentifizing tanking, my plan for that would be to have a tournament for teams that don't make the playoffs and the winners get the top picks.

always been a fan of this, although fringe playoff teams could intentionally miss the playoffs knowing they can take out the tournament and stack top draft picks over consecutive years. the lottery works well enough imo, just look at OKC. the only true superstars that have left their drafting franchises have been lbj melo and dwight, and they still stayed for almost a decade.

ThaWorldIsYours
03-16-2014, 08:55 PM
yeah, and players that perform beyond what their contracts justify should be free to cancel the contract and demand higher pay, right???

This.

lsiberian
03-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Bad idea entirely the NBA is built off the yearly contracts if you take that away you better eliminate the draft and salary cap too. Performance is also subjective and open to abuse. Team performance base bonuses are a good idea, but they already exists.

montecarlo
03-16-2014, 10:20 PM
this thread is terrible. didnt read. stop posting in it.

Stompin_Tom
03-16-2014, 10:24 PM
lol k so u only get paid if you play? what about the guys who rarely get playing time? they're just volunteers? great thread lol