PDA

View Full Version : Still falling short on Protein....

mokarney
03-10-2014, 08:48 PM
So I am a vegetarian so it's really hard for me to hit my protein counts. (I don't eat eggs unless they already in the food like a cake mix, I do drink milk though) My main source of protein is from yogurt or protein bars (quest or victory).

I am 19 years old, 5' 7", and currently weigh 149.7 lbs. Body fat is at 17.2%. I started P90X about 6 weeks ago and then switched to P90X3 about 2 weeks ago. I am down 4" off my waist, lost 20lbs (I was 170), and I was at 24.6% BF.

Here is what my macros look like:

1800 calories/day
158g of protein
158g of carbs
60g of fat

I usually eat 2 protein bars (42 grams of protein), a Chobani (13g of protein), P90X recovery drink (10g of protein), and I get another 15-20g from lunch or dinner. I am currently cutting (around 500-600 calories a day), should I just start taking whey protein? My buddy has some that is around 24g per scoop....

If I should be taking whey, what offers the most protein per scoop while also still factoring in taste? The cost doesn't matter. Is there any thing I should be doing? Thanks for any input!

knowledgeEpower
03-10-2014, 09:19 PM
I started P90X about 6 weeks ago...lost 20lbs

I am currently cutting (around 500-600 calories a day)
Teach me your ways. I could only lose 6lb of fat in 6 weeks on a 500 calorie a day deficit. :(

You probably only need ~125g of protein assuming you are really only on a 500 calorie a day deficit. Eat beans? If you are deadset on using whey, go to the supplement forum and ask this question. Granted you are just going to get reps recommending their own product. From what I know about protein supplements, with your preference, high protein/cal ratio, price no matter, taste, I think I'd go PES protein and ProtiZyme Peanut Butter Cookie. I could never afford them myself, so I'll be living vicariously through you.

Also, may want to consider a proper lifting routine...

Jesse_l_g
03-10-2014, 09:32 PM
I know it's cliche to say but i would encourage you to think about your decision to be vegetarian. Honestly farming and harvesting all the grains you eat kills a lot more animals, although much smaller. A cow goes a LONG way. I can understand not wanting to support the unethical and disgusting reality of commercial farming. It doesn't have to be that way. Animals don't need to stand shoulder to shoulder in their own sht kept alive with antibiotics....so i buy grass fed/pastured and from local farms i know raise healthy animals. This can also be the difference from meat that will add vs. subtract from your health.

Would you consider eating fish? How about crustaceans? They don't have a nervous systems.

If you insist i respect your decision and would say... stop following generic macro advice. You don't need that much protein, necessarily. Instead focus on eating less junk/processed/packaged crap. Start cooking piles of vegetables and eating huge salads. I think a good vegetarian goes a little out of their way to get quality protein like sprouting things, soaking nuts and seed and eating more dairy and eggs (if tolerated of course). You might also look into vegan omaga 3 supplements if you don't eat fish and things like that. Don't be the cake and quest bar vegetarian guy.

mokarney
03-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Teach me your ways. I could only lose 6lb of fat in 6 weeks on a 500 calorie a day deficit. :(

You probably only need ~125g of protein assuming you are really only on a 500 calorie a day deficit. Eat beans? If you are deadset on using whey, go to the supplement forum and ask this question. Granted you are just going to get reps recommending their own product. From what I know about protein supplements, with your preference, high protein/cal ratio, price no matter, taste, I think I'd go PES protein and ProtiZyme Peanut Butter Cookie. I could never afford them myself, so I'll be living vicariously through you.

Also, may want to consider a proper lifting routine...

Honestly, I just manage what I eat and completely cut ALL fast food and junk food. I used to eat Taco Bell 3-4 nights a week (around 2000 calories at like midnight). I haven't eaten any fast food since late January. I am not deadset on using whey, I just think it's the easiest. I really can't eat beans because I have no way of cooking them, I live in the dorms at college, plus I am too lazy to cook.

I think at the current time, I don't really need to focus on lifting as I am still burning off all fat. Granted before I started working out I did not even have the upper body strength to do a SINGLE push-up. I can now do a set of 30 with ease. I'll look into PES and ProtiZyme....

UPDATE: So checking MyFitnessPal, I started monitoring and noting down what I eat in the beginning of Feb. First week I ate 6000 calories under my goal so it's way more than 500, almost 1000 a day...

Other weeks:

2/10-16: 8300 calories
2/17-23: 6100 calories
2/24-3/2: 7300 calories
3/3-3/9: 8800 calories

3/10 (yesterday): 700 calories

Domicron
03-10-2014, 11:08 PM
check the stickies again, because i'm not sure about cutting but by most accounts you only need .8g/lb (some say even less, but on a cut it can't hurt to have more)

good work on the weight loss. many people rag p90x but if it helps you accomplish your goals that's great.

the p90x supplements are probably crap, though i don't know for sure. i'd be really surprised if you couldn't find the same product for cheaper without the branding on it. you don't need it, even as a vegetarian, at all if you don't like taking shakes and supplements. that being said, a tub of powder is handy to have around; just try to get your nutrients from whole food as much as possible.

you should focus on beans (great food, even for meat eaters) and rice, which combine for a complete protein. quinoa, tofu, certain cheeses, etc.

knowledgeEpower
03-10-2014, 11:09 PM
If you aren't really lifting and not in a crazy deficit (my implication above where you lost 20lbs in 6 weeks on a 500cal/day says you are far off from a 500/cal deficit) you'd probably be fine with 100g of protein. Thus no protein powder really needed. Have heard the stuff sho is tasty though.

Mncdk
03-10-2014, 11:15 PM
First 2 hits on google:

vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm

health.com/health/gallery/0,,20718479_15,00.html

(I can't post links yet, so copy paste them)

mokarney
03-10-2014, 11:21 PM
I know it's cliche to say but i would encourage you to think about your decision to be vegetarian. Honestly farming and harvesting all the grains you eat kills a lot more animals, although much smaller. A cow goes a LONG way. I can understand not wanting to support the unethical and disgusting reality of commercial farming. It doesn't have to be that way. Animals don't need to stand shoulder to shoulder in their own sht kept alive with antibiotics....so i buy grass fed/pastured and from local farms i know raise healthy animals. This can also be the difference from meat that will add vs. subtract from your health.

Would you consider eating fish? How about crustaceans? They don't have a nervous systems.

If you insist i respect your decision and would say... stop following generic macro advice. You don't need that much protein, necessarily. Instead focus on eating less junk/processed/packaged crap. Start cooking piles of vegetables and eating huge salads. I think a good vegetarian goes a little out of their way to get quality protein like sprouting things, soaking nuts and seed and eating more dairy and eggs (if tolerated of course). You might also look into vegan omaga 3 supplements if you don't eat fish and things like that. Don't be the cake and quest bar vegetarian guy.

I know that having no meat in my diet is a bad idea, it's just that as a kid, I was raised with out meat. My mom's side is completely vegetarian so my dad stopped eating meat relatively soon later. I just never tried meat and I get a bit queasy at the thought of eating it. I have no problem with others eating it and it's not an ethical problem to me at all. My girlfriends, members in my extended family, and some of my best friends eat meat. It's not really burden as I can eat out nearly anywhere and have meat substituted with beans or tofu and what not.

Even fish, crustaceans and other stuff just kinda freaks me out a little bit. It's a mental problem with me, not a moral or physical problem. I mean I am open to trying meat, I jsut have to get over the psychological problem.

That being said, I have completely cut junk/proceeded food. I stopped eating on campus completely as it's terrible, nutrient wise. I usually end up ordering food from Jimmy Johns or something. Like I said in my other post, I can't cook, I have access to a kitchen but I can't even steam veggies. I love steamed broccoli though... I might try some of those steamer packets and check out how good they are.

About the eggs, I can't eat an egg if it's scrambled or poached or like an omlete. I can eat it if it's IN a product like cakes or french toast....

Mncdk
03-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Btw, you mention yoghurt in your first post - have you tried the Icelandic stuff, Skyr? It's supposed to be 12% protein.

Domicron
03-10-2014, 11:33 PM
well if it's just mental, try to find a chinese restaurant with a traditional menu. in chinese cooking, many vegetable dishes use meat as a flavoring component, and not as the star; just like their meat dishes using vegetables as a flavoring. a dish like ma po tofu, for instance, which uses a bit of pork might be good.

i don't know if you need to force it. also i reread the line about the fast weight loss, which knowledgeEpower drew my attention to and i encourage you to recalculate your BMR and TDEE. you want to make sure you stay above your BMR (which you probably are, mine is only about 1650 and we're almost the same size) but it seems pretty close to even for you.

your tdee calculation is simply a guess. you properly determine TDEE by eating at that number for a period of time, usually one or two weeks, and confirming with a scale that your weight is stable. to drop 20 lbs in so little time is pretty drastic. i don't know what 5'7 and 190 looks like for you, but it doesn't sound super obese...might consider recalculating and upping your calories a bit.

MrBillson
03-11-2014, 02:30 AM
I think the key thing is that you think you need more protein than you do. As long as you get a minimum of 90g a day you'll be fine.

Your fat is also on the low end so you could get a large portion of your protein from dairy without any problems, which would also remove any need to include meat in your diet if you don't want to.

Celtic8Laoch
03-11-2014, 04:36 AM
Op you dont need anymore protein, you have more than enough.

FitnessSage
03-11-2014, 04:59 AM
If you feel you don't get enough protein, try eating legumes, they are a good addition to various meals. You may also snack on nuts and seeds but remember to watch your calories as they are quite high in them. You can include this products whenever they won't make you exceed your caloric allowance

MikePVD
03-11-2014, 05:24 AM
Op you dont need anymore protein, you have more than enough.

^
This. Recommended protein intake for lean body mass preservation can be fairly low. People have long lived on .6-.8g of protein per pound while cutting with great results. Looking at your macros I would drop protein by atleast 50g and then just fill then rest however you'd like to as long as you continue to lose weight with it.

To answer your question on how to get protein fast on a vegetarian diet my go to has always been cottage cheese. It is incredibly versatile based on your macro needs. From my stand point it is typically much cheaper than greek yogurt and the consistency doesn't change in a negative way when you add things to it like I've found Chobani to do if I add certain things.

Over time I've put the following in it to help meet macro needs:
-Banana slices
-Dried Fruit
-Berries
-Protein
-Fiber
-Sweeteners(Stevia/splenda***, honey)
-Avocado
-Coconut

***Will allow more of a dessert taste when cutting calories

AlwaysTryin
03-11-2014, 05:43 AM
^
This. Recommended protein intake for lean body mass preservation can be fairly low. People have long lived on .6-.8g of protein per pound while cutting with great results. Looking at your macros I would drop protein by atleast 50g and then just fill then rest however you'd like to as long as you continue to lose weight with it.

To answer your question on how to get protein fast on a vegetarian diet my go to has always been cottage cheese. It is incredibly versatile based on your macro needs. From my stand point it is typically much cheaper than greek yogurt and the consistency doesn't change in a negative way when you add things to it like I've found Chobani to do if I add certain things.

Over time I've put the following in it to help meet macro needs:
-Banana slices
-Dried Fruit
-Berries
-Protein
-Fiber
-Sweeteners(Stevia, splenda, honey)
-Avocado
-Coconut

How does Splenda and stevia help meet your macro needs

Celtic8Laoch
03-11-2014, 06:25 AM

Lol didnt spot that, in for answer.

hossjob
03-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Trader Joe's 7 Grain Sprouted Bread has 5 grams protein per slice and only 7 carbs. Nice source to get some protein. It's incomplete, but you need to get it where you can when you're a vegetarian.

MikePVD
03-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Ha, sorry it was early. Let's throw those two under "How to make it more like dessert" :)

mokarney
03-13-2014, 01:55 AM
check the stickies again, because i'm not sure about cutting but by most accounts you only need .8g/lb (some say even less, but on a cut it can't hurt to have more)

good work on the weight loss. many people rag p90x but if it helps you accomplish your goals that's great.

the p90x supplements are probably crap, though i don't know for sure. i'd be really surprised if you couldn't find the same product for cheaper without the branding on it. you don't need it, even as a vegetarian, at all if you don't like taking shakes and supplements. that being said, a tub of powder is handy to have around; just try to get your nutrients from whole food as much as possible.

you should focus on beans (great food, even for meat eaters) and rice, which combine for a complete protein. quinoa, tofu, certain cheeses, etc.

For cutting, I read 1g/lean body weight, so I would be looking at around 120-125g of protein a day. Yeah, I do see that not very many people like P90X on here but I am just using it as a starter program to get in shape before I start a real program. I am not trying to jacked or muscular, but rather burn as much fat as I can and get lean. The only P90x supplement I have is the recovery shake which seems to be packing a lot of vitamins and what not.

I have no problem taking shakes or supplements. I didn't like the taste at first but now it's kinda like OJ.

mokarney
03-13-2014, 01:57 AM
Btw, you mention yoghurt in your first post - have you tried the Icelandic stuff, Skyr? It's supposed to be 12% protein.

I've tried Oinkos which is actually tasty and around 12g of protein, but I recently started trying Chobani cause it's 14g...