PDA

View Full Version : why am i even overcomplicating this???? (is reverse dieting even necessary for me???)

TheMinimalist
03-05-2014, 03:46 PM
i have officially finished my cut (and now realize that i need to gain some muscle)

initially, my plan was to SLOWLY add 100 calories every week to my diet, until my body weight remained stable.

BUT NOW I'M THINKING -----> is that even necessary!!?? (because, i haven't even gone below 10% bf during my cut...i doubt i even approached 12% tbh)!!

So my plan is to just ball park my maintenece caloric intake (gonna guess around 2300 calories)...and I just plan to eat at that level for 3-4 weeks, and see if that's my true maintenance (or maybe it's higher or lower)...regardless...i just figured i'd do that, and then take it from there.

i feel it would take forever to just add 100 calories per week. too tedious. and it's not like i went below 10% bf or anything.

TrojanFtball82
03-05-2014, 03:50 PM
i have officially finished my cut (and now realize that i need to gain some muscle)

initially, my plan was to SLOWLY add 100 calories every week to my diet, until my body weight remained stable.

BUT NOW I'M THINKING -----> is that even necessary!!?? (because, i haven't even gone below 10% bf during my cut...i doubt i even approached 12% tbh)!!

So my plan is to just ball park my maintenece caloric intake (gonna guess around 2300 calories)...and I just plan to eat at that level for 3-4 weeks, and see if that's my true maintenance (or maybe it's higher or lower)...regardless...i just figured i'd do that, and then take it from there.

i feel it would take forever to just add 100 calories per week. too tedious. and it's not like i went below 10% bf or anything.

A lot of factors play into this. How long was your cut, how far have you been below maintenance, how long were you there, etc.

Personal preference only: I have always been much happier with my reverse dieting compared to when I jump straight to maintenance. I personally do 200 every other week instead of 100 a week.

cls91
03-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Its likely not necessary.

But if you were only 10% below TDEE, and you plan on adding 100 kcal per week, it should only be 2-3 weeks before your back at maintenance...far from 'tedious' and 'taking forever'.

Its your call how you want to approach it; I'd personally jump to maintenance, wait there for a week, then jump to desired surplus. Wait there for a few weeks while monitoring weight change and go from there.

TheMinimalist
03-05-2014, 03:58 PM
^i'm gonna do that.

been 'dieting' for 2 years. been pretty aggressive with my deficit recently. finished up with lyle mdcdonalds RFL (PSMF), just finished my day carb reefed yesterday. today i'm sort of just eating at mainteencence (ball parking it)

but tomorrow, i'll be much more deliberate. gonna aim for 2300 calories, and see where it takes me)