PDA

View Full Version : Which has more protein: 1/2 chicken or whole breast?

michaelfry03
02-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Which has more protein: 1/2 chicken or the whole breast of a chicken? (supposing 1/2 of the chicken includes 1/2 of the breast)

Please give an estimate of how much protein as well.

Thanks

Opportuniteas1
02-23-2014, 09:16 AM
You realize whole chickens have 2 full breasts so a 1/2 a chicken includes 1 breast, thigh, and a wing.

michaelfry03
02-23-2014, 09:46 AM
I know. I'm asking because I've no idea how much protein is there in other parts.

And yeah, what I meant was 1/2 chicken vs full breast

WonderPug
02-23-2014, 09:50 AM
I know. I'm asking because I've no idea how much protein is there in other parts.FYI: The name of the part or parts of the chicken you eat is not what determines the amount of protein contained therein. It's the weight of the meat that governs.

This same principle applies to all foods and the nutritional content contained therein.

Phoenix9369
02-23-2014, 09:51 AM
FYI: The name of the part or parts of the chicken you eat is not what determines the amount of protein contained therein. It's the weight of the meat that governs.

This same principle applies to all foods and the nutritional content contained therein.

This.
I've seen massive chickens.
American ones are tiny.

ironwill2008
02-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Which has more protein: 1/2 chicken or the whole breast of a chicken? (supposing 1/2 of the chicken includes 1/2 of the breast)

Please give an estimate of how much protein as well.

Thanks

http://i.imgur.com/f4iSgFP.png

MetilHed
02-23-2014, 11:28 AM
I hope like hell no one resurrects the "How many calories in a whole chicken" thread.

michaelfry03
02-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Lol ooooookay, guys, chill out. I knew I wouldn't get a decent answer without specifying every single detail.

Let's assume the two chicken are the same weight. We get one half from one, and the full breast from the other. Now which has more protein?

Now do I have to mention what country the chicken is from, whether it's organic or not, what breed is it, blah blah blah???

cls91
02-23-2014, 08:37 PM
If what you're asking is 'which part of the chicken has the highest protein concentration per gram/calorie?', then the answer is breast.

So if all other things are equal, breast will have more protein than thigh, wing etc.

AlwaysTryin
02-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Lol ooooookay, guys, chill out. I knew I wouldn't get a decent answer without specifying every single detail.

Let's assume the two chicken are the same weight. We get one half from one, and the full breast from the other. Now which has more protein?

Now do I have to mention what country the chicken is from, whether it's organic or not, what breed is it, blah blah blah???

Are you serious?
As already stated, 1/2 a chicken includes a breast, wing and leg, whereas your other example only has one breast.

Can you not see that a breast = a breast with the other also having a wing and leg, thus having more?

MrBillson
02-24-2014, 12:05 AM
Are you serious?
As already stated, 1/2 a chicken includes a breast, wing and leg, whereas your other example only has one breast.

Can you not see that a breast = a breast with the other also having a wing and leg, thus having more?

I think the OP's question was supposed to look like this:

"What has more protein, 2 chicken breasts or 1 chicken breast, one wing and one leg? Assuming all parts are taken from the same chicken."

Either way the answer is to just weigh the meat and find out. Although I suspect the most protein would be in the 2 breasts.

BenD4Me
02-24-2014, 12:49 AM
just eat the god damn chicken already.

Breast meat has slightly more protein per unit weight. And some chickens have tons of breast meat and some dont, this whole question is way to subjective.

michaelfry03
02-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Sorry for the confusion. MrBillson is right. That's what I meant, 2 chicken breasts (the full breast of one whole chicken) vs 1/2 chicken.