PDA

View Full Version : Any Surfers? NOOB here [GTFIH]

strengthgained
02-22-2014, 10:37 PM
What's up Brahs

Basically I need a new hobby other than working out to do.

I wanna make new friends and meet cool people through surfing but I have no idea where to begin.

I plan on asking around to find good starting spots but what else?

I don't want to get in anyone's way when I'm learning.

Begging for some tips/guidance.
Thanks bros

TTexasTT
02-22-2014, 11:03 PM
well, start on location. if you live in Kansas youre gonna have some problems.

strengthgained
02-22-2014, 11:08 PM
well, start on location. if you live in Kansas youre gonna have some problems.

lmao im in SoCal

cor030
02-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Yo

Surfline.com - this will be your best friend. If you go to the cam/stream section you can actually navigate your way thru local spotsz. they have cams up worldwide giving you a live look at what the current waves are like and a full/detailed surf report(and a forcecast but those are not reliable).

You could sign up for a surf class at any local surf shop but you're better off just buying a cheap used board and teaching yourself. You can find surfboards for cheap(I'm talking $75-100) on Craigslist. Contrary to phaggot movies surfers are incredibly chill (around here at least) and will help you out if you need it).

I learned when I was like 8 or 9 by renting a foam board one day(shouldn't be more than $20) and picked a day where the waves were shiet and the ocean was calm was fuk. Days like that are perfect because the waters won't be crowded and it'll give you a chance to work on popping up/balancing/getting a feel for standing on the board.

I prefer shorter boards as they're much, much more fun when you get some experience but longboards are insanely easy and I know plenty of surfers that prefer them because it's so chill. They're much more expensive, tho.

DonaldT24
02-22-2014, 11:25 PM
SoCal brah checking in. Best spots has got to be Balboa Park in newport beach. i am there in the summer almost every weekend. La Jolla in San diego also a good spot.

strengthgained
02-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Yo

Surfline.com - this will be your best friend. If you go to the cam/stream section you can actually navigate your way thru local spotsz. they have cams up worldwide giving you a live look at what the current waves are like and a full/detailed surf report(and a forcecast but those are not reliable).

You could sign up for a surf class at any local surf shop but you're better off just buying a cheap used board and teaching yourself. You can find surfboards for cheap(I'm talking $75-100) on Craigslist. Contrary to phaggot movies surfers are incredibly chill (around here at least) and will help you out if you need it).

I learned when I was like 8 or 9 by renting a foam board one day(shouldn't be more than $20) and picked a day where the waves were shiet and the ocean was calm was fuk. Days like that are perfect because the waters won't be crowded and it'll give you a chance to work on popping up/balancing/getting a feel for standing on the board.

I prefer shorter boards as they're much, much more fun when you get some experience but longboards are insanely easy and I know plenty of surfers that prefer them because it's so chill. They're much more expensive, tho.
There are SO many boards on craigslist, cheap but I don't even know where to begin??

I don't want to go anywhere where im going to just get in the way of serious surfers ya know?

SoCal brah checking in. Best spots has got to be Balboa Park in newport beach. i am there in the summer almost every weekend. La Jolla in San diego also a good spot.
La jolla is a great place, how'd you start surfing.

Lamborg
02-23-2014, 12:26 AM
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159616291&page=3

henryk21
02-23-2014, 04:58 AM
Swellinfo, Surfline and magic seaweed are all great sites. You shouldn't have a problem learning considering you're in so cal. BRB surfing trestles every weekend, hnnnnng
Only dreams now

Ralph Wiggum
02-23-2014, 05:13 AM
Learn to kitesurf too, then you'll have an advantage over regular surfers because when the wind is too strong they'll be at home doing nothing while you can still catch every wave.

socrates07
02-23-2014, 05:32 AM
at your height you should get a 6'2 board imo

strengthgained
02-23-2014, 11:37 AM
at your height you should get a 6'2 board imo

Is that considered a short board?