PDA

View Full Version : Week 7 of planned 12 week cut - thoughts on progress

Hypnotise
02-20-2014, 12:50 AM
Hi guys,

Currently 7 weeks into a 12 week planned cut, after which I would go to maintenance for two weeks then onto a slow bulk. I am 6'3" and started at 88.5kg (195lbs), as of this morning at 85kg. A 3.5kg drop in 7weeks is about where I aimed for. I am tracking my calorie intake through myfitnesspal, and based on Katch McArdle I should be at 2600 for maintenance (desk job, lifting 3 times a week, 1-2 cardio sessions). I am taking in 2100 with an average macro breakdown of 190P/80F/160C

My lifts have stayed pretty consistent over the cut (BP/MP/Squats/DL) and some have increased, I.e. using a belt and 20kgs for dips and chin now.
Question - 1) Should I go any lower on the calorie intake as i get closer to the end of my planned cut or keep aiming for a ~500 deficit 2) does the fact that my lifts have stayed constant imply no/little muscle loss?

Thanks

Hypnotise
02-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Bump!

PBateman2
02-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Your beginning stats were 195lbs at 6ft 3 inch. Why did you decide to cut?

ADHDave
02-20-2014, 04:06 PM
i would only decrease calories further if your weight loss plateaus

Hypnotise
02-21-2014, 03:24 AM
Pbateman- started the cut at ~15% body fat, most of the advice out there suggests bulking from 12%.I think 83.5kg would put me at 12%

Dave- think you are right. will see what the scales say monday and assess.

n0useforaname
02-21-2014, 05:19 AM
i would only decrease calories further if your weight loss plateaus

Pbateman- started the cut at ~15% body fat, most of the advice out there suggests bulking from 12%.I think 83.5kg would put me at 12%

Dave- think you are right. will see what the scales say monday and assess.

Yes, most do recommend bulking at 10-12% BUT.. you need a base to cut to.. meaning with your stats, it would probably be wise to go on a nice 6+ month bulk and forget the cut. And as for the plateau thing.. there is a bit more to it. Anyone on a cut is going to eventually experience a plateau.. and sometimes that plateau can last 3-4 weeks on a scale.. but here is the thing.. DON'T just go and lower your intake.. do you really think your body will just adapt to a deficit of 10-15% that fast? NO. You'll end up like the guys on here eating 1600 cals a day when their BMR is 2000.. it's insane. Just be patient and wait it out... just because the scale isn't moving doesn't mean you aren't losing fat. Your body can only oxidize so much fat in one day, and the leaner you get.. the less it can oxidize.. The last couple months of a cut are hard because you literally almost notice no rapid changes... and starving yourself isn't gonna help.

WonderPug
02-21-2014, 05:26 AM
Pbateman- started the cut at ~15% body fat, most of the advice out there suggests bulking from 12%.I think 83.5kg would put me at 12%.That type of recommendation is for folks that have sufficient lean body mass to support a successful cut. You do not and thus it's important to gain additional lean body mass by bulking.