PDA

View Full Version : They need to get Michael Jordan in the All-Star Celebrity Game in the future.

Rebounds45
02-15-2014, 12:52 AM
No, not Michael B. Jordan. The actual Michael Jeffrey "Air" Jordan.

I wanna see him and Arne Duncan go at it in the post. Bring back Scottie Pippen again too.

brb MJ posting up, fadeaway jumper
brb Arne passing like Vlade/LeBron/Magic/Bird from the post
brb another competitive All-Star Celebrity game.

nvrstopworking
02-15-2014, 01:49 AM
Old timers game would be a lot better than a celeb game.

ScudBro
02-15-2014, 03:44 AM
You just know Jordan wouldn't play to play, he'd play to win. That's probably why it'll never happen: the dude'd cause heartattacks & injuries among the oldtimers on the other team

Rebounds45
02-15-2014, 04:13 AM

true, but then there wouldn't be any hbb/10s playing lol

BillTheBro
02-15-2014, 05:10 AM
he would literally just go hard and run up the score by 50000 points and then leave the court in a stretcher

srom12
02-15-2014, 07:19 AM
he can still dunk as well, would be crazy as fuk seeing him play again, there were also articles months ago saying he was getting into playing shape again and still practising

Rebounds45
02-15-2014, 07:40 AM
he can still dunk as well, would be crazy as fuk seeing him play again, there were also articles months ago saying he was getting into playing shape again and still practising

exactly, Arne is 49 and he can still do those stuff. Imagine Mike at 50, the game would be so fun to watch.

EsB818
02-15-2014, 11:29 AM
If MJ came back to the NBA, even for 1 game, all sorts of TV records would be broken. ESPN execs would be busting all over their office desks

brb_ballin
02-15-2014, 11:36 AM
yaaa an Alumni game would be epic.

jross2021
02-15-2014, 11:41 AM
yaaa an Alumni game would be epic.

the glove
mj
malone
stockton
hakeem
lawd

porcupinetree
02-15-2014, 11:43 AM
They used to have old timers games back in the 80s. They weren't much fun to watch. At first, yes. You'd see guys do their signature moves (much slower than before) and it was fun just to see the guys out there.
But it got boring fast. They were old. Not in great shape. They could still do some things. But not even close to what they used to be.

You think MJ could come back and be great. At some point, he can't. It will hurt to see him out there trying to play a game that he can't play anymore.
MJ is not in great shape anymore. He drinks a lot of wine, doesn't train much, is about 30 pounds above his playing weight and doesn't have the dedication to get back down. Read the ESPN article about him from when he turned 50. All this is in there.

The old timers game fizzled out because it just wasn't that exciting, and big name players stopped wanting to do it.

porcupinetree
02-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Here are a couple of examples off the top of my head. It's just off my memory so I dont' have all the details.

There was an old timers game in the 80's. Calvin Murphy played in it. He prepared, trained for it, and then completely dominated it. Hit shot after shot, played hard. The rest of the players quickly got tired trying to chase him around and just stopped trying altogether. Calvin started talking trash and then really nobody cared.
After the game Calvin went to the press to say that he felt great and was good enough to make a comeback to the NBA.
I think he went to the Rockets and had one practice with the NBA team and that was the end of that.

The last old timers game I saw was in Salt Lake City, about 1993, I think. Ron Boone and Hot Rod Hundley played, and it was obvious that they were not serious. They were just laughing and playing half ass, and they were really only there because it was SLC and they were the tv/radio announcing team for the jazz. It's not like they were legends to other fan bases.
By that time, most of the legends didn't want to play anymore, so you had a bunch of guys who played in the NBA/ABA, but not big names.

A big problem was the number of injuries.

OK, I did a google search.
Look at the rosters from the 1993 all star game:

EAST WEST
Ron Boone Zelmo Beaty
M.L. Carr Otis Birdsong
Dave Cowens Austin Carr
George Gervin Spencer Haywood
Artis Gilmore Rod Hundley
Connie Hawkins Bobby Jones
Lou Hudson Maurice Lucas
Wali Jones Calvin Murphy
Bob Love Clifford Ray