PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Hockey- who ya got?

mvajda17
02-12-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm excited to watch all the games, not sure who's gonna win gold. Opinions?

skinnyFAT91
02-12-2014, 01:55 PM
USA or Sweden. Canada only won in 2010 because it was in Canada and they had extra motivation to win. Having an all star team doesnt mean an automatic gold. They barely beat out USA.

brb_ballin
02-12-2014, 01:55 PM
there is an NHL thread and an Olympic thread.

the answer is Canada.

Howiester
02-12-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure who will win but I'll be making Latvia jokes every step of the way. Come at me.

ugottabjoshinme
02-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Gold - Canada
Silver - Sweden
Bronze - USA

freshnevafrozen
02-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Dont watch hockey, but I know Canada is taking home the gold

khanvictt
02-12-2014, 03:25 PM
canada and it aint even close son

PostMoves
02-12-2014, 03:26 PM
usa and its not even close brahs

Misctify
02-12-2014, 03:31 PM
'Murica.

GinoFelino
02-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Canada

Mac_xX
02-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Latvia
Austria
Switzerland

brb_ballin
02-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Dont watch hockey, but I know Canada is taking home the gold

lives in Canada, puts leafs in sig.

doesn't watch hockey.

you some kind of phaggot eh?

Tru_Knyte
02-12-2014, 04:49 PM
http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/media/2b/2b42ab34aa64424ea3f39b977501902f1f0ea063257b30d779 b4ac2b650b5759/canada-hockey-gold-medal-olympics-jpg.jpg

Kraxses
02-12-2014, 04:50 PM
russia going to go in dry

Elfishpresly
02-12-2014, 04:52 PM
USA will win. Will get revenge on canada

Heaney
02-12-2014, 04:52 PM
USSR or Czechoslovakia

scotyg
02-12-2014, 04:55 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/1212600/kenny-powers-o.gif

oe7Leo
02-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Canada will win

Sweden or Russia 2nd/3rd

USA 5th

booooook it

daisbest
02-12-2014, 06:01 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img853/8892/exzz.gif (*****://imageshack.com/i/npexzzg)

Shrugs4Life
02-12-2014, 06:40 PM
USA or Sweden. Canada only won in 2010 because it was in Canada and they had extra motivation to win. Having an all star team doesnt mean an automatic gold. They barely beat out USA.

Lmao not sure if srs. Yes, it is much better to have role players like Brooks Orpik and Derek Stepan right?

Canada gonna go balls deep this tourney. Nobody can match our depth and talent up front. Every country has like 4-5 guys then it just drops of a cliff and has to field guys like Kaberle, Nedved, Orpik, or Kulemin.

brb have to scratch Duchene when he's a first liner on every other team
brb winning da gold
brb come at us this is our sport

Vitamin0
02-12-2014, 06:56 PM
I trolled in another thread, but this is the real 1-5

Canada
Russia
Sweden
USA
Finland

freshnevafrozen
02-12-2014, 07:39 PM
lives in Canada, puts leafs in sig.

doesn't watch hockey.

you some kind of phaggot eh?
Lmao my bad bro, lemme rephrase that. I dont watch Olympic hockey

brb_ballin
02-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Lmao my bad bro, lemme rephrase that. I dont watch Olympic hockey

http://workreactions.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Asked-a-question.gif

skinnyFAT91
02-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Lmao not sure if srs. Yes, it is much better to have role players like Brooks Orpik and Derek Stepan right?

Canada gonna go balls deep this tourney. Nobody can match our depth and talent up front. Every country has like 4-5 guys then it just drops of a cliff and has to field guys like Kaberle, Nedved, Orpik, or Kulemin.

brb have to scratch Duchene when he's a first liner on every other team
brb winning da gold
brb come at us this is our sport

So much confidence in a team that has won 0 golds on big ice and have Luongo and Smith as goaltenders... Canada said the same thing in 06, worked out well for them.

spillmouse
02-12-2014, 08:22 PM
canada wins
russia 2nd
usa 3rd

one-two
02-12-2014, 09:01 PM
official winter games thread closed?
why doe

SuperStudGG
02-12-2014, 09:05 PM
I saw earlier today that the Czechs lost, Disspoint

In general I'm a fan of Russian Hockey and ex Russian NHL Legends. In any other Olympics I would be cheering for them. This time around I want to see them lose only to see Putin's reaction. Could care less about team USA. Hopefully the Czechs or Canada win the Gold.

thrillhaus
02-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Canada & Sweden are almost guaranteed top 4 placing just based on the format alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics_%E2%80%93_M en%27s_tournament#Bracket

Canada and Sweden are likely to go 3-0 in their prelims so will get the 1D and 2D seeds and are therefore likely to play and defeat Switzerland/Slovakia in the quarterfinals moving them to semis pretty easily. I'm giving Canada 1D based on goal differential as they will have an easier time running up the score on Norway and Austria than Sweden will have on Switzerland (mainly) and Latvia.

Group A (USA, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia) is too close to call for seeding. Whoever is first in this group will likely get the 3D seed. If I had to pick a winner, I'd say Russia. Finland will probably get the 4D seed based on goal differential due to being in a softer group and having Tuukka Rask in net.

4D vs. E1 will be some combination of Finland vs. Russia or USA and has the highest possibility of an upset (Finland winning).

Semis will be Canada vs. (USA, Russia or Finland) and Sweden vs. (Russia or USA) in that order of likelihood.

Most likely it'll be Canada vs. USA (Canada wins) and Sweden vs. Russia (Russia wins) in the semis; Canada vs. Russia in the finals (Canada wins) and USA vs. Sweden for bronze (hard call, but I'll favour Sweden for this).

Gold - Canada
Silver - Russia
Bronze - Sweden

samir316
02-12-2014, 09:30 PM
My team is sending 8 guys to the games!! (Mostly because they draft internationally). Got to see Plekanec with a C, this might be in the cards down the road if Markov leaves or is traded and Gionta is not re-signed because he's old. Czechs are not deep enough to get into the medals and their goaltending stinks. Finland has very little depth up front so I don't expect them to challenge either.

Slovakia is on par with the Czechs or worse, so I don't think we'll see any kind of push for a medal.

That basically leaves the other 4 powers : Canada, USA, Russia and Sweden.

Sweden is stacked - they can ice 3 great lines and their top 2 defense pairings compete as well as anyone else. Why they left Hedman off the team I'll never understand - hey could easily be a top 1 or 2 guy but even as a 5/6 D he would be an upgrade. Maybe the Lightning says no? Hedman and Henrik missing really hurt this team, I'd say they finish 3 or 4 overall.

Russia is absolutely stacked on its first 2 lines and first defense pairing, after that, I'm not really sure the roster is Olympic calibre. Malkin/Datsyuk/Ovechkin/Kovalchuk are arguably the Top 4 group among any country but can those guys each play 20-30 minutes a game? That's Russia's only chance to medal.The other issue is that Russia's team usually is completely not cohesive - Kovy and Ovy don't really get the "team" concept. If we start seeing individualist play, forget Russia. Ovy can get away with skipping the backcheck in the NHL, but giving a team like Canada a 5-on-4 - forget it. They have the talent to medal, but it's far from guaranteed.

USA is going to ice 4 lines that can score and solid goaltending, but they are nowhere near as prolific as Canada - sorry, Backes and Callahan wouldn't even be discussed for Canada. The D is fundamentally sound but nowhere near as explosive as Canada's, which is why I think they will finish 2nd. Bobby Ryan's exclusion is perplexing, given that USA needs scoring punch to compete with Canada.

Canada is absolutely stacked. Every line. Every defense pairing. The weakness was thought to be goaltending, but Carey Price is coming into the tournament with a .950+ save percentage last week and being named NHL player of the week. Tyler Seguin didn't even make the team and he would be the no. 2-3 center on every other national team. Marty St-Louis had to wait for a Stamkos exit to be named, he might not even play, and he'd be top line on every other team except Russia. If Canada plays to 75% of their potential, they'll win. The only ? is Chemistry, as many of the guys are new. Canada tends to start slow because of that. If they find it in 1-2 games, lights out.

1- CAN
2- USA
3- RUS
4- SWE

thrillhaus
02-12-2014, 09:35 PM
USA has a good team, but they're likely to have the hardest road to the finals based on groups and seeding, which is why I don't see them placing higher than bronze based on probability (more chances to realistically be knocked out).

If Finland upsets Canada in their prelims though, the whole thing becomes a clusterf*ck.

Nnear
02-12-2014, 10:14 PM

Canada beat US in the US in 2002. Also Canada and Russia have the most motivation. Russia for obvious reasons. Canada since they havent won an international tournament since 2010 and they're the favorites.

If USA wins, ameribrahs are gonna be on a power trip. Even the ones that dont give a phuck about hockey, its the one thing Canada has over US. But Canada gonna win anyways so no need for any jimmies to be rustled.

one-two
02-12-2014, 10:23 PM
saw highlights of todays game, swedens jerseys are pretty damn legit. me goose

YoungEx20
02-12-2014, 10:30 PM
1. Russia
2. Canada
3. USA

brb_ballin
02-12-2014, 10:32 PM
My team is sending 8 guys to the games!! (Mostly because they draft internationally). Got to see Plekanec with a C, this might be in the cards down the road if Markov leaves or is traded and Gionta is not re-signed because he's old. Czechs are not deep enough to get into the medals and their goaltending stinks. Finland has very little depth up front so I don't expect them to challenge either.

Slovakia is on par with the Czechs or worse, so I don't think we'll see any kind of push for a medal.

That basically leaves the other 4 powers : Canada, USA, Russia and Sweden.

Sweden is stacked - they can ice 3 great lines and their top 2 defense pairings compete as well as anyone else. Why they left Hedman off the team I'll never understand - hey could easily be a top 1 or 2 guy but even as a 5/6 D he would be an upgrade. Maybe the Lightning says no? Hedman and Henrik missing really hurt this team, I'd say they finish 3 or 4 overall.

Russia is absolutely stacked on its first 2 lines and first defense pairing, after that, I'm not really sure the roster is Olympic calibre. Malkin/Datsyuk/Ovechkin/Kovalchuk are arguably the Top 4 group among any country but can those guys each play 20-30 minutes a game? That's Russia's only chance to medal.The other issue is that Russia's team usually is completely not cohesive - Kovy and Ovy don't really get the "team" concept. If we start seeing individualist play, forget Russia. Ovy can get away with skipping the backcheck in the NHL, but giving a team like Canada a 5-on-4 - forget it. They have the talent to medal, but it's far from guaranteed.

USA is going to ice 4 lines that can score and solid goaltending, but they are nowhere near as prolific as Canada - sorry, Backes and Callahan wouldn't even be discussed for Canada. The D is fundamentally sound but nowhere near as explosive as Canada's, which is why I think they will finish 2nd. Bobby Ryan's exclusion is perplexing, given that USA needs scoring punch to compete with Canada.

Canada is absolutely stacked. Every line. Every defense pairing. The weakness was thought to be goaltending, but Carey Price is coming into the tournament with a .950+ save percentage last week and being named NHL player of the week. Tyler Seguin didn't even make the team and he would be the no. 2-3 center on every other national team. Marty St-Louis had to wait for a Stamkos exit to be named, he might not even play, and he'd be top line on every other team except Russia. If Canada plays to 75% of their potential, they'll win. The only ? is Chemistry, as many of the guys are new. Canada tends to start slow because of that. If they find it in 1-2 games, lights out.

1- CAN
2- USA
3- RUS
4- SWE

brb type paragraph.

brb don't realize Can US would meet in semis so a gold medal game rematch is impossible.

KidKhaleel
02-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Canada, Sweden, Russia

skinnyFAT91
02-13-2014, 12:05 AM
Canada beat US in the US in 2002. Also Canada and Russia have the most motivation. Russia for obvious reasons. Canada since they havent won an international tournament since 2010 and they're the favorites.

If USA wins, ameribrahs are gonna be on a power trip. Even the ones that dont give a phuck about hockey, its the one thing Canada has over US. But Canada gonna win anyways so no need for any jimmies to be rustled.

Lets be real, Crosby hasnt been injured yet in the NHL season this year. The chance of him getting his 12th concussion is high during the Olympics, No Crosby, 3rd line Kunitz reveals his true colors, and no gold for Canada. Also would like to point out, Bowmester is on the back end. He hasnt won anything since his mother plopped him out. The jinx is in brah, science does not lie.

Hockey is only a minor hick up in the grand scheme of things for 'Merica. We have a 100+ years of total metals before Canada can smell our taint sack. BRB looking up if Canada was even in any of the Summer Olympics. When it comes to Power trips vs Canadians, its like a Blue Whale eating plankton, perfectly natty. Gods master plan, involves America chitting on the red headed step child of North America.

thrillhaus
02-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Lets be real, Crosby hasnt been injured yet in the NHL season this year. The chance of him getting his 12th concussion is high during the Olympics, No Crosby, 3rd line Kunitz reveals his true colors, and no gold for Canada. Also would like to point out, Bowmester is on the back end. He hasnt won anything since his mother plopped him out. The jinx is in brah, science does not lie.

Hockey is only a minor hick up in the grand scheme of things for 'Merica. We have a 100+ years of total metals before Canada can smell our taint sack. BRB looking up if Canada was even in any of the Summer Olympics. When it comes to Power trips vs Canadians, its like a Blue Whale eating plankton, perfectly natty. Gods master plan, involves America chitting on the red headed step child of North America.

Strong understanding of probability dependence.

Not srs.

Mac_xX
02-13-2014, 11:58 AM

The reason this guy is red is showing abundantly.

evanmaldonado
02-14-2014, 06:20 AM
1) Sweden
2) USA
3) Russia
4) Canada
5) Finland

just watch brahs Canada coming in overconfident just because they're Canadian.