PDA

View Full Version : Donte Stallworth debates the argument against having a gay player on your team

Mac_xX
02-12-2014, 10:25 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/10/donte-stallworth-michael-sam_n_4761724.html

Former NFL player Donte' Stallworth doesn't buy the argument that an openly gay player would be too distracting for an NFL team to be successful.

In a series of tweets, the retired wide receiver responded to the suggestion -- floated by former NFL coach Herm Edwards -- that intense media attention may discourage teams from drafting gay players.

Tweets are in the article.

sdballer5588
02-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Can't wait til Sam drops all the way to the Patriots and becomes a stud.

Can't fkn wait. If any team is built to handle the media scrutiny, it's the Patriots.

Bigcarllittlewi
02-12-2014, 10:41 AM
I bet michael sam will get the most sacks in the nfl history

Onita
02-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Here's a copy paste that is easier to read than the tweets IMO

Herm Edwards posed a hypothetical question on epsn re: drafting Michael Sam, "can (GM/owner/coach) handle the media... with this situation?"

If any NFL team can't "handle the media coverage" of drafting Sam, then your team is already a loser on the field, let me tell you why. There are a multitude of issues that can arise in the long duration of an NFL season, some on the field, some off the field. You won't have any idea what that on the field/off the field situation is until it's already upon you and the entire organization, which means that with drafting Michael Sam, you get a jump start on controlling the "media coverage" right from the onset. If an organization is inept to the magnitude of not being able to control things with prior knowledge, how will you handle the unexpected?

Case Study 1: The Miami Dolphins and the bullying scandal. Players talked more about THAT than they did football, for weeks! During that time I questioned (tweeted) why the Dolphins players were talking more about the scandal than their next opponent. Since the bullying story broke, the Dolphins finished the season 4-4 w/playoff hopes still alive, got spanked by division opp Jets, 20-7.

Case Study 2: The New England Patriots and Aaron Hernandez AND Tim Tebow situations. Beyond the state of shock I endured after the revelations of Hernandez, I knew that if ANY organization could handle this, it was the Pats. This all happened right before training camp where players are supposed to come in w/clear minds in preparation for a long, rigorous season.Not only were there questions about Aaron, but also about the health of Gronkowski and how those two combined affected the team as a whole. Aaron is still awaiting trial & Gronk played in only 7 games this season, but yet the Pats seemed to avoid those "distractions" altogether. Despite many season ending injuries to key pieces, the Pats finished 12-4 and lost to the Broncos in the AFC title with... ZERO distractions. Not to mention the whole Tebow signing and (alleged subsequent) distraction wasn't even a blip on most radars. Why? Because Mr. Kraft and Bill Belichick would not allow ANY of that to be a "distraction" to ANYONE in the entire organization.

In my 10 years as an NFL player, I've played for 6 different teams & have been in every kind of locker room. Vet, young, mature, immature. The leaders of an NFL organization AND the locker room better be able to handle adversity that is certain to emerge during a long NFL season. In my experience, if your organization can't "handle media coverage", they will suck on the field anyway, but hey, there's always 2015...

TTexasTT
02-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Would anybody really know much about Sam if he were not farting cum? This has to have helped his draft status.

SubwaySub
02-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Murderers, rapists, and thugs are fine, but being gay is a distraction. Oknfl.

Thai_Clinch
02-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Would anybody really know much about Sam if he were not farting cum? This has to have helped his draft status.

if you look at mock drafts, it would tell you different. also some of the comments that have come out about gm's and personnel saying its too much of a risk to have that attention.

sdballer5588
02-12-2014, 10:52 AM

It's more quizzical that he dropped since.

Winning DPOY in the SEC is basically punching a first round ticket in every year except if you're gay.

brb_ballin
02-12-2014, 10:53 AM

apparently he fell 70 spots on the prospect board.

someone will get a steal late.

PervedOut
02-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Yeah, coming from a guy that ran down some immigrant worker after being on an all-night bender...

scotyg
02-12-2014, 11:10 AM
It's more quizzical that he dropped since.

Winning DPOY in the SEC is basically punching a first round ticket in every year except if you're gay.

He was a 3rd or 4th round guy before all of this. A Tweener olb/de that doesn't have great athleticism or a vast array Of pass rushing moves.

For every Tamba Hali that becomes great from sheer effort and refined technique, there are 100 guys like Sam that never make it more then a few years.

Maybe harsh, but it's true.

Doober4
02-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Yeah, coming from a guy that ran down some immigrant worker after being on an all-night bender...

Hey come on Donte paid off his family that means something right?

Mac_xX
02-12-2014, 11:12 AM

I don't see how that negates any points of his argument.

PervedOut
02-12-2014, 11:15 AM
That series of tweets just strikes me as someone that took a beezy to the head and got philosophical AF.

sdballer5588
02-12-2014, 11:21 AM
He was a 3rd or 4th round guy before all of this. A Tweener olb/de that doesn't have great athleticism or a vast array Of pass rushing moves.

For every Tamba Hali that becomes great from sheer effort and refined technique, there are 100 guys like Sam that never make it more then a few years.

Maybe harsh, but it's true.

Sure there are, but how many SEC DPOY's have gone on to be busts?

ToPHeR35
02-12-2014, 11:27 AM

He's a murderer therefore he doesn't have an argument...

Mac_xX
02-12-2014, 11:29 AM
He's a murderer therefore he doesn't have an argument...

lol ok well I'm going to steal his argument and repeat it to you. Do you think it makes sense?

scotyg
02-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Sure there are, but how many SEC DPOY's have gone on to be busts?

Since they switched from MVP to offense/defense rolondo McClain, Glenn Dorsety, David pollack (who?) as the busts . Jarvis jones was pretty meh in year one. Fairly is solid. Demeco Ryan's is average. Then you have Willis, Berry as the greats.

Apparently pollack hurt his spine in 06 so there's that.

CurryTech777
02-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Since they switched from MVP to offense/defense rolondo McClain, Glenn Dorsety, David pollack (who?) as the busts . Jarvis jones was pretty meh in year one. Fairly is solid. Demeco Ryan's is average. Then you have Willis, Berry as the greats.

Apparently pollack hurt his spine in 06 so there's that.

i can confirm mcclain is a stud

TTexasTT
02-12-2014, 12:21 PM
if you look at mock drafts, it would tell you different. also some of the comments that have come out about gm's and personnel saying its too much of a risk to have that attention.
I really dont think that him actually loving the cock is the problem. The GMs are probably more worried about the circus it would cause if he were to use his position as some sort of a platform to push an agenda. Its aggravating that this is a big deal at all.
Hes not even the best player on his own defense but Id love for Dallas to have him in the 4th.

Miked1978
02-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Oakland and Jax should draft Sam. Wouldn't get much media attention bc both teams always suck.

Plus any media attention they do get would be better then what they get now.

tsbalr120
02-12-2014, 01:09 PM
If there's sam and another DE on the board who have very similar stats and skill sets, then they'll pick the other guy. If it's sam and the next DE is worse, they'll get sam. So his gayness could or couldn't effect his draft stock. The even slight chance that he could cause a locker room problem will be apart of their decision making, but talent level always comes first.

scotyg
02-12-2014, 02:12 PM
If there's sam and another DE on the board who have very similar stats and skill sets, then they'll pick the other guy. If it's sam and the next DE is worse, they'll get sam. So his gayness could or couldn't effect his draft stock. The even slight chance that he could cause a locker room problem will be apart of their decision making, but talent level always comes first.even if he tumbled someone will pick him in the 6th or so. Too much value.

Mitch1313
02-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Who cares if hes a phaggot or not... if hes kick ass on the football field why the fukk does it matter if hes a phaggot to anyone lol?

Looks like a solid player, maybe a steal in the draft. Wouldnt mind him on my team.

TTexasTT
02-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Jesus Christ. What year is this? I live in the armpit of the south and cant drive through the trailerpark without seeing half a dozen men holding hands these days.
5gin7s5qMG8
things have changed.... except on ESPN (and Alabama)