02-12-2014, 10:10 AM
http://www.crossingbroad.com/2014/02/the-phillies-have-signed-a-j-burnett.html

thoughts?

BlackJack619
02-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Not sure

pg2tall
02-12-2014, 10:16 AM
I just hate how they keep getting older and don't realize that their farm system has absolutely nothing but one decent pitcher in it.

Vitamin0
02-12-2014, 10:21 AM
16 mill seems kinda high, no?

Doober4
02-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Not a bad deal, I expect Ubaldo Jimenez to sign a similar deal soon.

kevsom24
02-12-2014, 10:25 AM
iffy move, the ball flies in that park, and philly can be similar to NY, and he pretty much crumbled there

melanimal_old
02-12-2014, 10:27 AM
The Phillies one through 3 starters all were at least 4 win players in 2013. A one year deal is great. If they blow... eat his contract in July and trade him.

melanimal_old
02-12-2014, 10:30 AM
This puts them directly up against the luxury tax without going over. Its a good deal because its not a long term deal. One of the better moves anyone has made this entire off season.

BroHusky
02-12-2014, 10:33 AM
iffy move, the ball flies in that park, and philly can be similar to NY, and he pretty much crumbled there

How is it an "iffy" move, jesus christ I swear do you ppl even baseball, what is the better alternative????????

Great move. Low risk, high reward. Better than what the Phils woulda put out there as there 5.

WestAfrica
02-12-2014, 10:52 AM
At least the Mets will come in 3rd place this year, you mad?

Mac_xX
02-12-2014, 10:52 AM
I really wanted the Jays to take a swing at him, guess he wanted to stay closer to home.

NewYorkMets
02-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Now everyday is old timers day in Philly.

kevsom24
02-12-2014, 11:44 AM
How is it an "iffy" move, jesus christ I swear do you ppl even baseball, what is the better alternative????????

Great move. Low risk, high reward. Better than what the Phils woulda put out there as there 5.

16 million is low risk high reward?????????

its iffy because he could either be decent and have ~3.5 era guy you get in Pittsburgh, or the 5+ era guy from NY. Based off of the media, fans, ballpark and contract, Id say its a pretty iffy move, because more than likely you're paying a 5+ era guy 16 million.

do you even baseball?

melanimal_old
02-12-2014, 11:49 AM

its iffy because he could either be decent and have ~3.5 era guy you get in Pittsburgh, or the 5+ era guy from NY. Based off of the media, fans, ballpark and contract, Id say its a pretty iffy move, because more than likely you're paying a 5+ era guy 16 million.

do you even baseball?

7 win player in his last 400 innings. AKA worth 35 million the past 2 seasons. Strong sample

Mac_xX
02-12-2014, 11:50 AM

do you even baseball?

It's 1 damn year. It's not like the Phillies have money trouble. What would you rather do, have Burnett for 1 year at 16 and have it flop or have Jiminez/Santana for 4-5 at ~15 each and have it flop? Because that's the reality of free agent pitching right now.

brb_ballin
02-12-2014, 11:51 AM
not old enough/10

melanimal_old
02-12-2014, 11:52 AM
im more worried about him getting hurt then him bombing in the NL

melanimal_old
02-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Steamer projecting 3.4 WAR 3.27 FIP - Ill argue Burnett puts up more wins above replacement than Ervin Santana or Ubaldo in 2014. They all had an identical 2013

jacklambert58
02-12-2014, 01:35 PM
The Pirates going crazy cheap and only offering $8.5 and NOT tendering a QO seems pretty retarded about now......all this while they raised ticket prices in all sections of the ball park this year....

BenadrylBandit
02-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Low risk high reward because it's a 1 year deal and 16m is nothing to the Phillies since they're not signing any big names this year. RAJ actually hasn't gone completely potato this off season, our rotation can be really solid if the Cuban can eat some innings.

spillmouse
02-12-2014, 09:27 PM
goes 10-11 on a playoff team , gets 16 hmmmm

Still one of my favorite pitchers in the game srs

go jays

melanimal_old
02-12-2014, 09:28 PM
goes 10-11 on a playoff team , gets 16 hmmmm

Still one of my favorite pitchers in the game srs

go jays

ya im about to neg you for the win loss quote

TTexasTT
02-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Jesus.... Phillies in full tank mode already

jacklambert58
02-12-2014, 10:16 PM

I disagree, we just locked up 4th place & Rodon will safely be an Astro

TTexasTT
02-12-2014, 10:27 PM
I disagree, we just looked up 4th place & Rendon will safely be an Astro
Do you honestly think that the phillies will be anything but awful this year?

BenadrylBandit
02-12-2014, 10:33 PM

81-81

jacklambert58
02-12-2014, 10:40 PM

on the edges of the 2nd wild card, like 80% of the league...perhaps some reason to keep watching into September

TTexasTT
02-12-2014, 10:44 PM
on the edges of the 2nd wild card, like 80% of the league...perhaps some reason to keep watching into September
Meh there is always a reason to watch. Ive learned this during my tenure as a Astros fan.

Often times, deep into a losing season, youll tune in and despite keeping up with the team and its minor league affiliates there will be times youll see a guy coming in from the bullpen and be like "who the fuk is this guy?" That alone is often enough to keep watching.

JBhaverhill
02-12-2014, 10:47 PM

Pretty much this.

Not sure if that franchise will ever recover from losing Hunter Pence.

jacklambert58
02-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Meh there is always a reason to watched. Ive learned this during my tenure as a Astros fan.

Often times, deep into a losing season, youll tune in and despite keeping up with the team and its minor league affiliates there will be times youll see a guy coming in from the bullpen and be like "who the fuk is this guy?" That alone is often enough to keep watching.

agreed. mlb.tv subcriber checking in. I actually ended up watching a handful of Stros games at the end of last year just to see our traded away prospects. unfortunately they never called up singleton. cosart & villar don't seem like huge loses, just ok players.

TTexasTT
02-12-2014, 10:50 PM
agreed. mlb.tv subcriber checking in. I actually ended up watching a handful of Stros games at the end of last year just to see how traded prospects. unfortunately they never called up singleton. cosart & villar don't seem like huge loses, just ok players.
Cosart is legit. Villar, meh...

Singleton... who knows

Pretty much this.

Not sure if that franchise will ever recover from losing Hunter Pence.
No chit, they give up future stars for a allstar then let him walk. Now hes putting up numbers in Cali. Dumb mistake.

sandpapergooch
02-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Thats a lot of money for a 4th place team to pay a starter, atleast they'll be able to trade him when they're 20 games out at the allstar break

inb4 someone brings up the mets

BenadrylBandit
02-12-2014, 10:54 PM
thats a lot of money for a 4th place team to pay a starter, atleast they'll be able to trade him when they're 20 games out at the allstar break

inb4 someone brings up the mets

*mets*knicks*vikings*

jacklambert58
02-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Cosart is legit.
e.

Well, he did seem to have a knack for missing barrels and has a chance to out pitch his FIP, but his FIP/K-BB rates are not that legit. Plus he seemed to require max efforting in every outing with his small frame and iffy command.

TTexasTT
02-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Well, he did seem to have a knack for missing barrels and has a chance to out pitch his FIP, but his FIP/K-BB rates are not that legit. Plus he seemed to require max efforting in every outing with his small frame and iffy command.
youre starting to sound like Melanimal. Trying really really hard to make the Pence deal hurt less. Cosart will win (Yes Im using W & Ls) 15 games this year with a very impressive ERA.

jacklambert58
02-12-2014, 11:22 PM
youre starting to sound like Melanimal. Trying really really hard to make the Pence deal hurt less. Cosart will win (Yes Im using W & Ls) 15 games this year with a very impressive ERA.

unlike him, I'm not that down on that Pence trade - when you're close, can't blame the team for going all out for the ring....I was more upset when they traded him away w/o other options, then having to sign Delmon Young and missing out on giving pence one year QO deals or getting a draft pick.

Kcabo
02-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Mixed feelings tbh.

knicksrbake
02-13-2014, 08:59 AM
http://vocaroo.com/i/s07KWwEdbIKh

airdog93
02-13-2014, 09:51 AM
This puts them directly up against the luxury tax without going over. Its a good deal because its not a long term deal. One of the better moves anyone has made this entire off season.

i'd agree if there were any chance of the phillies making the playoffs this year

melanimal_old
02-13-2014, 11:02 AM
i'd agree if there were any chance of the phillies making the playoffs this year

20 starts and trade him to a contender for a mlb prospect in 2015. Peavy was less than a 2 win player in 2013 and netted Avasail Garcia or Ingelesias. Both back end top 100 prospects starting for their new clubs 2014. Theres ways to rebuild. If the Phillies do sell hes a value they didnt have that could turn into production for 7 years. If they do contend they have one of the top 5 one through 3 starting staffs in the NL.

melanimal_old
02-13-2014, 11:06 AM

Cosarts in the bullpen by 2015 or back in triple A. He hasnt missed bats since the sally league. He may throw it 96 mph but its flat as ****

jacklambert58
02-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Cosarts in the bullpen by 2015 or back in triple A. He hasnt missed bats since the sally league. He may throw it 96 mph but its flat as ****

I disagree after watch 5 of his starts last year. Teams were definitively having trouble squaring him up - lots of weak contact. Small Sample Size, but he looked like he had a chance to out pitch his FIP if he matures.

TTexasTT
02-13-2014, 02:37 PM
lulz keep fightin that fight.

melanimal_old
02-13-2014, 02:45 PM
I disagree after watch 5 of his starts last year. Teams were definitively having trouble squaring him up - lots of weak contact. Small Sample Size, but he looked like he had a chance to out pitch his FIP if he matures.

I dont see how its even a discussion. He pitched to contact his entire career while showing very little command. He goes around the league once they will pick up his fastball. In short bursts his fastball could play up. But hes a fringy #5 in the AL and could possibly be an 8th inning guy.

http://i.imgur.com/VkmR3SJ.png

melanimal_old
02-13-2014, 02:53 PM
lulz keep fightin that fight.

bro when the Phillies dealt Cosart he was their 4th best pitching prospect.

TTexasTT
02-13-2014, 03:13 PM
bro when the Phillies dealt Cosart he was their 4th best pitching prospect.
Im sure. Thats why there was a need to sign that sweet ass AJ Burnett.... because there are 3 prospects better than Cosart.
I wouldnt take Hammels for Cosart.

jacklambert58
02-13-2014, 04:24 PM
I dont see how its even a discussion. He pitched to contact his entire career while showing very little command. He goes around the league once they will pick up his fastball. In short bursts his fastball could play up. But hes a fringy #5 in the AL and could possibly be an 8th inning guy.

http://i.imgur.com/VkmR3SJ.png

Well, yeah....he's far from can't miss & most likely he gets exposed with time, but his LD% in the minors were pretty good too, which again makes me think he might have a knack for missing sweet spots, inducing weak contact, and sticking as an SP. Lord knows the Lastros have nuttin to play for & plenty of playing time to dole out to iffy youngsters.