PDA

View Full Version : Another thread about Michael Sam... but this time a rant.

enexi0688
02-11-2014, 09:39 PM
So I was just reading on ESPN the article about his father having troubles with his son being gay. It stated his son messaged him in a text to say "Dad, I'm gay." Well, as a parent myself, I would be shocked to be presented with this news over a text and not the decency to tell me face to face. But that's another issue.

He went on to say he couldn't even finish his meal upon reading the text and had to go somewhere to have drinks to cope. I understand you may be upset or shocked, but that's not the way to get over it. Also said he doesn't want his grandchildren being around that environment. So you are saying that your son now will be a bad influence or not be the same loving son you had before because he is gay? Your future grand children will be worse off being around your now "known to be gay" son? Seems like he is worried about his own well being and the way it looks to him, instead of the pressure that is on his son now.

And one last point.... I'm not at all racist or prejudice. I love everyone equally and feel we are all entitled to the same great benefits, improvements and achievements this world can give us. But why does the father say "As a black man, we have so many hurdles to cross. This is another one for him." Um no... being black doesn't make being gay a bigger struggle. Red, yellow, black or white, gay doesn't matter what color you are. That's a life choice and that's the end of story.

So IMO, seems like this dad just wanted sympathy and doesn't care for his son as much as we want to believe. I know this is a hard time for him. I'm sure it must be shocking. But take your families side, in this case, your son. Stand by him and don't act like he is a lesser person because of it. And for those that want to read the article, here is the link :http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10439397/father-michael-sam-struggling-news-son-gay

End rant. :D

CBlackJack
02-11-2014, 09:41 PM
So I was just reading on ESPN the article about his father having troubles with his son being gay. It stated his son messaged him in a text to say "Dad, I'm gay." Well, as a parent myself, I would be shocked to be presented with this news over a text and not the decency to tell me face to face. But that's another issue.

He went on to say he couldn't even finish his meal upon reading the text and had to go somewhere to have drinks to cope. I understand you may be upset or shocked, but that's not the way to get over it. Also said he doesn't want his grandchildren being around that environment. So you are saying that your son now will be a bad influence or not be the same loving son you had before because he is gay? Your future grand children will be worse off being around your now "known to be gay" son? Seems like he is worried about his own well being and the way it looks to him, instead of the pressure that is on his son now.

And one last point.... I'm not at all racist or prejudice. I love everyone equally and feel we are all entitled to the same great benefits, improvements and achievements this world can give us. But why does the father say "As a black man, we have so many hurdles to cross. This is another one for him." Um no... being black doesn't make being gay a bigger struggle. Red, yellow, black or white, gay doesn't matter what color you are. That's a life choice and that's the end of story.

So IMO, seems like this dad just wanted sympathy and doesn't care for his son as much as we want to believe. I know this is a hard time for him. I'm sure it must be shocking. But take your families side, in this case, your son. Stand by him and don't act like he is a lesser person because of it. And for those that want to read the article, here is the link :http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10439397/father-michael-sam-struggling-news-son-gay

End rant. :D

I agree with all your points and I do kinda laugh that dad says that gay people raising a child would be a "bad environment" yet he has 2 kids in jail, another child murdered, and another child missing and presumed dead.

And yeah coming out as gay usually affects dads more than moms because of the whole "macho" bs...but it just takes time. As a gay guy I wouldn't really fault the dad too much for saying what he said because this is all still a little heat of the moment. Chances are the dad has yet to meet many gay people and is basing his opinion on fears of the unknown. Hope things go well for their family.