PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gonzalez "Matt Ryan is not an Elite QB"

Dave P
02-06-2014, 01:37 PM
http://gyazo.com/58d99349114fd94c9a2a2cd7b4a1e8eb.png

Interested to see the ESPN mag article coming out tomorrow, Tony sounds like he wants to come back one year for a legit SB contender and it sounds like he was butthurt/surprised he didnt get traded last year.

HankScorp1o
02-06-2014, 01:38 PM
He can be honest now that he's out of the league. It must feel good to get that weight off his shoulders.

Jw9thwonder
02-06-2014, 01:40 PM
didnt realize there was even an argument for ryan being elite.

kyleTX
02-06-2014, 01:41 PM
poor TG, had to finish his career with an almost-elite QB....

NateTheGood
02-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Matt Ryan is a top 5 quarterback. Would trust him in 4th quarter situation over anyone else in the league. Srs.

Zacdbrah
02-06-2014, 01:42 PM
I don't understand why he would say that. No point in stating that, I do agree though he is not elite yet.

HankScorp1o
02-06-2014, 01:43 PM
I don't understand why he would say that. No point in stating that, I do agree though he is not elite yet.Lol what? We still don't even know the context in which he said that... odds are he was asked directly "Is Matt Ryan an elite quarterback?"

To his credit, he answered honestly yet graciously. It's not like he said "Naww, dudes a phaggot" or "Fukk that guy, ruined my Super Bowl chances for years having that choke artist pitching the rock"

Ace50
02-06-2014, 01:45 PM
this is news?

deerdiary
02-06-2014, 01:47 PM
I bet Matt Ryant doesn't even see himself as an elite QB.

Elite for me is top 5. No way he's that close.

beer n brats
02-06-2014, 01:48 PM
come to the packers tony for vets minimum.... then you will have an elite qb!

NateTheGood
02-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Lol what? We still don't even know the context in which he said that... odds are he was asked directly "Is Matt Ryan an elite quarterback?"

To his credit, he answered honestly yet graciously. It's not like he said "Naww, dudes a phaggot" or "Fukk that guy, ruined my Super Bowl chances for years having that choke artist pitching the rock"

BRB Falcons get big leads against 49ers and Seahawks ruined by their incompetent crumbling defense and somehow that's Matt Ryan's fault.

DaarioNaharis
02-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Tony G is correct.

Qbs I'd take over Matty Ice

Rodgers
Brady
Peypey
Drew Brees
Phillip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger

Matt is top 10 for sure, and very good like the gawd of te's said, but nothing more at this point.

drvillain
02-06-2014, 01:55 PM
damn Tony G... how could you?

I'd like to see how the majority of QBs fare with no running threat, incompetent O line, and 2 of your 3 main targets injured.

Dave P
02-06-2014, 02:00 PM
BRB Falcons get big leads against 49ers and Seahawks ruined by their incompetent crumbling defense and somehow that's Matt Ryan's fault.

Puts up zero points in the 2nd half and somehow its not?

Mac_xX
02-06-2014, 02:01 PM
in b4 Ryan comes out to say he's elite then wins the SB next year

wickedman
02-06-2014, 02:05 PM
There's only 4 elite QBs currently, however Matt Ryan is just outside that group.

just4kickz
02-06-2014, 02:10 PM
He's not elite yet, but he does have the potential to be elite. Drew Brees wasn't considered elite until his 8th or 9th year in the league? It takes time and also the right system and coach.

brb_ballin
02-06-2014, 02:10 PM
this isn't a shot at Ryan.... there are 4 elite QBs... he's quite obviously not one of them.

CamNCheese
02-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Matt's still really young in the grand scheme of things, and we're always going to be competitive with him at the helm as long as we don't get slaughtered by injuries like this last season. We're better off than 2/3rds of the league at the QB position so I definitely can't complain. Hopefully at some point he gets to play with a competent running game so he can really show his talent.

SRSmiscerIZsrs
02-06-2014, 02:29 PM
hes coming back to KC. Everyone knew he wanted to get traded mid season to the chiefs but the falcons were phaggots asking for a 4th round pick for a guy who said he was retiring in 9 games. Now he will come back for free! KC welcomes you back TG

ShweezyBTFO
02-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Tony G is correct.

Qbs I'd take over Matty Ice

Rodgers
Brady
Eli Montana
Drew Brees
Phillip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger

Matt is top 10 for sure, and very good like the gawd of te's said, but nothing more at this point.

fixed, phaggot

in b4 Ryan comes out to say he's elite then wins the SB next year

sorry he doesn't have the Eli Montana gene.

niknguyen
02-06-2014, 02:43 PM
did anyone think he was elite? this is coming from a ATL fan. there's only 3 in the league. Tony G is just saying he is one step under elite and there's no problem with that

I'd like to see how the majority of QBs fare with no running threat, incompetent O line, and 2 of your 3 main targets injured.

and poverty as fck pass D that made sam bradford and geno smith look elite as fck
3 of geno smith's 12 TD passes came vs. that poverty D

Puts up zero points in the 2nd half and somehow its not?

its a common occurence with mike smith. phaggot throws in the 1st half, gets big leads, sits on it via 1-3 yard gains on 1st-3rd down then punts the entire sh of most games.

Matt's still really young in the grand scheme of things, and we're always going to be competitive with him at the helm as long as we don't get slaughtered by injuries like this last season. We're better off than 2/3rds of the league at the QB position so I definitely can't complain. Hopefully at some point he gets to play with a competent running game so he can really show his talent.

dude was top 5 in almost all QB stat categories this past season believe it or not.

ShweezyBTFO
02-06-2014, 02:46 PM

This was basically Eli Montana and he finished the season 7-9.

niknguyen
02-06-2014, 02:47 PM
This was basically Eli Montana and he finished the season 7-9.

eli's defense got it together during their mid season win streak. i thought they were about to make a late run like they usually do, but not sure wtf happened.

i think they were a top d in the league during that win streak

DaarioNaharis
02-06-2014, 03:02 PM
fixed, phaggot

Pipe down before you catch a rock bottom, kid.

HankScorp1o
02-06-2014, 03:09 PM
BRB Falcons get big leads against 49ers and Seahawks ruined by their incompetent crumbling defense and somehow that's Matt Ryan's fault.MRWp4tKSghI

JetLife21
02-06-2014, 03:15 PM

You are right, the defense sucked in the 2nd half of those games but he still cost the Falcons the San Fran game. The fumbled snap on San Fran's 20 was huge and he had Tony G open by a mile on the last play and decided to force a pass to Roddy White who was triple covered.

Mac_xX
02-06-2014, 03:26 PM

Flacco does?

mrsnruB1111
02-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Matt Ryan is a B-

ShweezyBTFO
02-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Flacco does?
yeah. I got a friend who's friends with Flacco and I told him to tell him to activate dat gene. Initiation step was that radio declaration.

reverse79
02-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Less about Ryan

more about contending

Who needs a injury proof TE right now?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/tom_brady_smile.jpg

neighborr
02-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Matt Ryan is a top 5 quarterback. Would trust him in 4th quarter situation over anyone else in the league. Srs.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Happy-Clapping-To-Dramatic-WTF-Reaction-GIf.gif

TheFourthPooper
02-06-2014, 04:20 PM

He is not even a top 30 qb. dead srs.

Edit: I don't watch football btw.

Radioactive Man
02-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Like others have said, there's only 4 elite qbs in the league. So Tony G saying that isn't an insult.

TTexasTT
02-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Atleast Tony is a liar. Ryan can get the job done but lets no lie and say hes up there with Peyton, Brady, Romo, Brees or Rodgers

GetBigyo
02-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Atleast Tony is a liar. Ryan can get the job done but lets no lie and say hes up there with Peyton, Brady, Romo, Brees or Rodgers
One of these QBs names do not belong here..

DaarioNaharis
02-06-2014, 05:17 PM

You still shower with your sister?

TTexasTT
02-06-2014, 05:22 PM
You still shower with your sister?
We take baths

DrSlam
02-06-2014, 05:28 PM
He isnt even top 10.

Always excuses with atl fans as to why they suck.

Jax019
02-06-2014, 05:47 PM

http://nyobetabeat.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/markey_mark_wtf.gif

Forumite
02-06-2014, 06:03 PM
come to the packers tony for vets minimum.... then you will have an elite qb!

The Falcons hold his rights, he signed a 2 year deal so unless they release him he either comes back a Falcon or not at all.

JaxBrah
02-06-2014, 06:38 PM
The only reason matt ryan is even considered decent is because of his godly recieving core and good run game. He was terrible this year once jones went down

pedobearu_aware
02-06-2014, 06:46 PM
The only reason matt ryan is even considered decent is because of his godly recieving core and good run game. He was terrible this year once jones went down
The OL was ghastly this year. Matt Ryan was lucky to make it through the season in one piece.

Trapstar4.4
02-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Fck that. The lady two years have seen non elite QBs get rings. Fck the qb. beastly Tench game is where it's at

iamgenus
02-06-2014, 06:51 PM

lol seriously? As Dave P already mentioned that offense got 0 points in the 2nd half of the Falcons game. Ryan's turnovers were key to both teams coming back in their respective games. He had some extra time to get the last second FG vs Seattle but if he doesn't get loose with the ball he doesn't need the late FG.

Realism
02-06-2014, 06:58 PM
The only reason matt ryan is even considered decent is because of his godly receiving core and good run game. He was terrible this year once jones went down

I wouldn't say he's terrible, he's above average and his team sucks. He had success without Jones, but he's not elite. That's rarefied air. More than half the teams in the league would gladly have him play for them.

There are +300 million Americans and only a minute percentage can be labeled starting NFL quarterbacks. Matt Ryan is one of them. He's not elite, so what? The Falcons have been overrated for years but success in the NFL is relative. He's easily a top 15 and better during his best seasons. That's fine. There are only a handful of elite quarterbacks, maybe less than a handful.

Being elite means that you're able to win games and carry a team to the playoffs primarily by yourself. But the NFL is a team game, and having an above average quarterback is good enough if the rest of the team is above average. So many franchises would take Ryan, Romo, Rivers, etc. over there current quarterback(s).

BuckNakedinBama
02-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Tony G to Patriots. Book it.

impactplayer616
02-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Less about Ryan

more about contending

Who needs a injury proof TE right now?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/Tinkas82/tom_brady_smile.jpg

If Tony G wants a serious shot at a ring we would gladly welcome him. Imagine him and Gronk if healthy in a double TE set lol.

Twerk4it
02-06-2014, 08:23 PM
inb4 he wins the SB like when Flacco and Eli's elite status was questioned before the season

spillmouse
02-06-2014, 08:34 PM
well cya in Seattle Tony

911medic
02-06-2014, 08:46 PM
The Falcons hold his rights, he signed a 2 year deal so unless they release him he either comes back a Falcon or not at all.Right. Gonzales also said that if the team was hot in November, like 9-2, that he could see himself coming back in mid-season to help out the Falcons.

On the Matt Ryan thing, there is more to the story there, too. Gonzales did say that Ryan was not elite, but that he had just a few areas he needed to work on to move into that elite category.

drvillain
02-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Get real phaggot, Matt Ryan did what Andrew Luck is praised for his rookie season. Oh how quickly everyone forgets that the Falcons were trash the season before MR came. Oh and wouldn't ya know that the Falcons didn't have a "godly" receiving core back then.

I wouldn't say he's terrible, he's above average and his team sucks. He had success without Jones, but he's not elite. That's rarefied air. More than half the teams in the league would gladly have him play for them.

There are +300 million Americans and only a minute percentage can be labeled starting NFL quarterbacks. Matt Ryan is one of them. He's not elite, so what? The Falcons have been overrated for years but success in the NFL is relative. He's easily a top 15 and better during his best seasons. That's fine. There are only a handful of elite quarterbacks, maybe less than a handful.

Being elite means that you're able to win games and carry a team to the playoffs primarily by yourself. But the NFL is a team game, and having an above average quarterback is good enough if the rest of the team is above average. So many franchises would take Ryan, Romo, Rivers, etc. over there current quarterback(s).

You say easily top 15 as if Ryan isn't in the top 6. And as far I'm concerned, he's the 5th best QB in the league.

He isnt even top 10.

Always excuses with atl fans as to why they suck.

Soccer forums ---->

Forumite
02-06-2014, 09:06 PM

Strong user name to not knowing wtf you're talking about. Is Jacksonville still a football team?

Forumite
02-06-2014, 09:07 PM
So many unawares on how football contracts work.

brb coming to NE
brb coming to SEA
brb coming to GB

Darkhare
02-06-2014, 09:50 PM
no ring, no elite IMO.

maybe a couple trips to the bowl would make an exception.

Wu-Massacre
02-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Matty Ice has been pretty elite for my fantasy teams prior to this year

liuzhoudragon
02-06-2014, 10:46 PM

Elite is like GOAT, one of those meaningless words the media and other jackasses toss around to get attention and start conversations.

There were conversations last year for Joe Freaking Flacco for being elite. Superbowl ****s with peoples minds.

cor030
02-06-2014, 11:40 PM
elite gets thrown around so damn loosely these days.. and unfortunately not just on the sports misc; ESPN, NFL-N(media in general really), countless other sports forums/sites, etc.. all want to slap that title on ANY player that has a good-to-great season. for a player to be elite in MY eyes they need 2-3 seasons at the very least of consistent, top shelf play throughout the reg. season as well as the postseason(for quarterbacks, at least). IMO there are 2 legitimate elite QB's in the NFL. There are a few of guys in that 2nd tier that are clearly outstanding players but inconsistency and/or choking when it matters most keeps them from grabbing hold of that label. That's just my opinion, though.

Fck that. The lady two years have seen non elite QBs get rings. Fck the qb. beastly Tench game is where it's at

Signed,

2013-2014 Carolina Panthers

FAH_Q
02-07-2014, 01:13 AM
As a Falcon fan I can admit Ryan isn't elite yet.

Elite:
Brady
Peyton
Brees
Rodgers

Ryan is just after that group. I don't find the comments from Gonzo bad. I think its not really necessary, but if he was asked straight up he gave the right answer. If anything i think the comments would fuel him to work on his weakpoints (extending plays, not keying on 1 WR too often).

FAH_Q
02-07-2014, 01:17 AM
It wasn't just Julio going down. Roddy played through a high ankle sprain all year. Check his stats in the first 10 games if you didn't watch them. And his O line is one of the worst in the entire league. This is common knowledge. It would be 1 thing to play with scrub WRs and still have a dominant O line and or running game like the Pats have. He had neither.

NateTheGood
02-07-2014, 01:24 AM
Have learned to stop listening to so-called football experts in regards to quarterbacks.

BRB Andrew Luck, Phillip Rivers, and Colin Kaepernick will be some of the greatest of all time.
BRB Russell Wilson will be exposed this season. Alex Smith will prevent a winning record for the Chiefs.

LOL LOL LOL.

Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Peyton

Ryan
Eli

Rest is up to whatever. He's the fifth best quarterback in the league. The top of the B-Class.

camaleom
02-07-2014, 04:40 AM
this...

sine when we were discussing that MR was elite?

camaleom
02-07-2014, 04:42 AM
As a Falcon fan I can admit Ryan isn't elite yet.

Elite:
Brady
Peyton
Brees
Rodgers

Ryan is just after that group. I don't find the comments from Gonzo bad. I think its not really necessary, but if he was asked straight up he gave the right answer. If anything i think the comments would fuel him to work on his weakpoints (extending plays, not keying on 1 WR too often).

those 4 are elite the rest are a bunch of pretenders...

jamnajh
02-07-2014, 05:28 AM
The top 4 are peyton, a-rod, brees, Tom Brady

Then I think Matty ice come in the next four
Russel Wilson, Andrew luck, Matty Ice, and Roethlisberger

niknguyen
02-07-2014, 07:38 AM
im surprised brees is still in the elite category after his horrendous performance this season in away games. hell, he played below average in the pro bowl!

kethnaab
02-07-2014, 07:38 AM
Matt Ryan is a top 5 quarterback.

*scratches head*

Woogiefied
02-07-2014, 08:19 AM

Down syndrome?