Mr.PissShivers
02-02-2014, 08:25 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/43093341.jpg

DRFAST
2000 ravens

TTexasTT
http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/95/112351a35211f32441439ca8db72965f/l.jpg

zackjg22
02-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Cowboys Doomsday Defense

PointBreak85
02-02-2014, 08:30 PM
http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/95/112351a35211f32441439ca8db72965f/l.jpgthey never Haf to face manning or this insane offense plus the rules back then were defense friendly

sportsmiscHOF
02-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Agreed

Shortstop36
02-02-2014, 08:46 PM
they never Haf to face manning or this insane offense plus the rules back then were defense friendly

The rules were more defense friendly, therefore manning wouldn't have had as good of a season back then.

Do you even think?

TooLateForRoses
02-02-2014, 08:48 PM
I don't disagree. They are the best I have ever watched firsthand aside from MAYBE the '00 Ravens butttttt http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159925771

numbers don't lie brah

SighGR
02-02-2014, 08:56 PM
The rules were more defense friendly, therefore manning wouldn't have had as good of a season back then.

Do you even think?
And you just made the Seahawks case even more impressive for him

joedirt87
02-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Biased, but I think the 02 Bucs were better. Stats are extremely close and both had incredibly dominating performances in the biggest game. Extra bonus points for having the goat Derrick Brooks be named defensive player of the year.

evansanity
02-02-2014, 09:06 PM
85 bears....

TooLateForRoses
02-02-2014, 09:11 PM
85 bears....

are statistically behind the 76 steelers, '00 ravens, and 77 falcons, and also ahead of the

02 Bucs

I might do some number digging to see where the stats have the seahawks. I think holding the greatest historical offense of all time to 8 points in the big game boosts them up a few spots regardless of where statistics would place them.

XterraRob
02-02-2014, 09:34 PM
And don't make me go into detail because youll lose the argument
ITT OP didnt watch the Superbowl but believes Seahawks were responsible for Denver's mistakes instead of Denver.

TooLateForRoses
02-02-2014, 09:37 PM
statistics arent the whole picture

the bucs or ravens etc wouldnt have held the greatest offence of all time to 8 points

thats what matters. the steelers ravens bears etc all dominated, but they all allowed far more points against offences that were far worse than mannings broncos, in an era where rules were very much defence friendly

True, but just for the sake of being objective in this, let me throw this out there.

*****://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScMiXyjWAT_uZ7B2q71WB6yJ6nESuFn tCEpPIDsnUbrlutT1GI5w

They allowed 24 points to the number 30 offense this season. Not that it's a huge deal, but if you use one performance in their favor, you also have to be able to use one against it.

sigh is there any workaround for the http s block?

ShweezyBTFO
02-02-2014, 09:40 PM
statistics arent the whole picture

the bucs or ravens etc wouldnt have held the greatest offence of all time to 8 points

thats what matters. the steelers ravens bears etc all dominated, but they all allowed far more points against offences that were far worse than mannings broncos, in an era where rules were very much defence friendly

Ravens gave up 0 offensive points and 1 special teams TD to a Giants team that had just put up 41 in the NFCCG 2 weeks before. Your argument (and countries represented in location/sig) is invalid.

YesWayNoWeigh
02-02-2014, 09:45 PM
To back to the regular misc. your kind isn't wanted

TAWS6
02-02-2014, 09:46 PM
And don't make me go into detail because youll lose the argument

Cold weather
Playoffs
Peyton Manning

/ thread

ZBlacktt
02-02-2014, 10:15 PM
No denying the facts and the stats don't lie

Record-breaking year for Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos in 2013.

MVP

Manning received 49 votes from a national panel of 50 media members for the MVP award, beating out Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who received one vote.

The Broncos scored 606 points in 2013, breaking the record of 589 set by the New England Patriots in 2007.

Touchdowns

Denver's 76 touchdowns beat the previous record of 75, also held by the 2007 Patriots.

Players with 10 or more touchdowns

The Broncos' Four Horsemen - WRs Demaryius Thomas (14), Eric Decker (11), Wes Welker (10), and TE Julius Thomas (12) - all finished with at least 10 touchdowns in 2013, while RB Knowshon Moreno added 13 of his own to break this NFL record - by two players (previous record was three).

Passing first downs

The Broncos converted 293 first downs through the air in 2013, with a small handful coming from QB Brock Osweiler in backup work. The previous record was 280 set by the Saints in 2011.

Wins, owner

Pat Bowlen has 305 wins in his 30 years as the Broncos owner. He is the first owner in NFL History to win at least 300 games in his first 30 years of ownership.

Games with 50+ points

The Broncos had three such games in 2013, tying the NFL record that has remained untied since 1969.

Points in 2nd half

The Denver Broncos scored 318 points after halftime in 2013, beating their own record set in 2012 (299). The previous record was set in 1950 by the Rams in 12 games.

NFL Records - Player

Passing touchdowns

Peyton Manning finished with 55 TDs, shattering Tom Brady's record of 50 set in 2007.

Passing yards

Manning threw for 5,477 yards, one yard more than Drew Brees threw in 2011, the previous record. After some controversy, the NFL confirmed on January 1, 2014 that the record will stand.

Longest field goal

Matt Prater booted a 64-yard field goal in Week 14 to break the long-standing NFL record of longest field goal. That record was previously held by Jason Elam, among others.

Extra points

Matt Prater went 75-of-75 for the season, setting the records for most extra points, most extra points attempted, and most extra points without a miss, previously held by the Patriots' Stephen Gostkowski in 2007 (74-of-74).

Most four-touchdown passing games

Peyton Manning destroyed this record with nine such games this season. The previous record was six, set by Dan Marino in 1984 and tied by Manning in 2004.

Most two-touchdown passing games

Manning had 15 such games in 2013, tying Marino's 1984 season.

Most 400-yard passing games

Manning tied the record set by Dan Marino in 1984 with four 400-yard passing games this season.

Most 90+ passer rating games

Manning had 15 such games in 2013, tying the NFL record he set in 2004. Stretching back into 2012, Manning decimated the record for most consecutive 90+ passer rating games in the regular season with 23

Points against the Seattle Defense in Super Bowl XLVIII

zeppelin8778
02-02-2014, 10:23 PM
BOOM

mother ****ing in.

seaGOATdefense hawks

fuggyeah

Dave P
02-02-2014, 11:28 PM

It doesn't hurt having one of the easiest schedules possible....football is not baseball, stats do not tell the whole story when we're talking about a 16 game season. The Broncos got to stat pad against a bunch of mediocre/garbage teams on their cheeseball way to the Superbowl with no opposition.

In recent history the 2000 Ravens are still the greatest

ShweezyBTFO
02-02-2014, 11:41 PM

and nobody regards the 2000 giants as one of the great offences, let alone the best in history by any statistical measure with one of the top 3 greatest quarterbacks of all time

stay salty

They were baking much harder than the Broncos were v. NE. Poverty 26 points of peace.

ZBlacktt
02-03-2014, 01:40 AM
It doesn't hurt having one of the easiest schedules possible....football is not baseball, stats do not tell the whole story when we're talking about a 16 game season. The Broncos got to stat pad against a bunch of mediocre/garbage teams on their cheeseball way to the Superbowl with no opposition.

In recent history the 2000 Ravens are still the greatest

What a lame excuse man..... really that's all you could come up with. Now I'm not saying the best of all time. I think that takes a few years of doing. But that was one of the best I've ever seen in a SB and I've seen a lot of those.

canuck604
02-03-2014, 02:05 AM
What a lame excuse man..... really that's all you could come up with. Now I'm not saying the best of all time. I think that takes a few years of doing. But that was one of the best I've ever seen in a SB and I've seen a lot of those.

I give credit to your team and they played very well, but lettuce be real tea, the broncos were dog chit and had no business being there.

Our team with Colin at QB and our "mediocre" receiver put up 17 at your house 2 weeks ago and were within a TD.

One performance like that in the Superbowl does not dictate that a team has the greatest defence EVER. One of, but not THE best.

Babyframes
02-03-2014, 02:11 AM
I give credit to your team and they played very well, but lettuce be real tea, the broncos were dog chit and had no business being there.

Our team with Colin at QB and our "mediocre" receiver put up 17 at your house 2 weeks ago and were within a TD.

One performance like that in the Superbowl does not dictate that a team has the greatest defence EVER. One of, but not THE best.

Lmfaooooooooooooo... All of a sudden the Bronco's are a mediocre team now. Seahawks are phaggots, but just fukkin lol you dumb goon. That defense put up the best showing in SB history. PERIOD.

canuck604
02-03-2014, 02:21 AM
Lmfaooooooooooooo... All of a sudden the Bronco's are a mediocre team now. Seahawks are phaggots, but just fukkin lol you dumb goon. That defense put up the best showing in SB history. PERIOD.

Yes...they played like a completely average team. If you were paying attention to the game, you could clearly see this.

My thoughts are that you are someone who just looks at the box score at the end of games.

ZBlacktt
02-03-2014, 02:26 AM

Just to be correct my team is KC. The Broncos were SO ahead of every team in the NFL this year in offense. They got crushed so hard this evening. Your team got beat. That last line I already said in my post.

canuck604
02-03-2014, 02:42 AM
Just to be correct my team is KC. The Broncos were SO ahead of every team in the NFL this year in offense. They got crushed so hard this evening. Your team got beat. That last line I already said in my post.

Didn't know you were a KC fan but what does the 9ers getting beat have to do with Denver playing terrible?

I'm saying that our less than stellar offence performed better (even AT the c-link) than the "mighty" Denver offence was supposed to. It goes to show how bad they were tonight.

Again, Seattle played great.

ZBlacktt
02-03-2014, 02:47 AM
Here are the five biggest blowouts in Super Bowl history:

1. Super Bowl XXIV: San Francisco 55-10 over Denver

2. Super Bowl XX: Chicago 46-10 over New England

T-3. Super Bowl XLIV: Seattle 43-8 over Denver

T-3. Super Bowl XXVII: Dallas 52-17 over Buffalo

5. Super Bowl XXII: Washington 42-10 over Denver

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/52ef03bbecad042d6fc77f7a/sad-eli-manning-sums-up-the-super-bowl-in-one-perfect-gif.jpg

PointBreak85
02-03-2014, 03:32 AM

Do you even think?

omg you imbicile

The point is that IN TODAYS NFL 2014 WHERE THE RULES FAVOR OFFENSES9(READ THE FCKNG MANUAL)...ESPECIALLY WRS , when a defense shuts you down....ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR THE GREATEST OFFENSE IN RECORDED HISTORY YOU ARE THE BEST DEFENSE EVER.

Back then defense could push WRs, shove them, hold them at the LOS ....NOT TODAY

motivat3d
02-03-2014, 03:50 AM
ITT OP didnt watch the Superbowl but believes Seahawks were responsible for Denver's mistakes instead of Denver.

Uh what are you talking about? I see you're from Colorado and probably a broncos fan.

Turnovers are typically forced or created by defenses. Regardless of who makes the "mistake". Unless the player drops the ball himself, it's good defense.

I see Manning being hit on the arm as he throws for a pick six. Demarius Thomas having the ball punched out by a defensive player. That was created by the defense.

Now back to the discussion on the best defense ever. I was mightily impressed by Seattle. They played lights out and were completely dominant when it mattered most. For this year the saying holds true. "Defense wins championships"

PointBreak85
02-03-2014, 03:55 AM
Uh what are you talking about? I see you're from Colorado and probably a broncos fan.

Turnovers are typically forced or created by defenses. Regardless of who makes the "mistake". Unless the player drops the ball himself, it's good defense.

I see Manning being hit on the arm as he throws for a pick six. Demarius Thomas having the ball punched out by a defensive player. That was created by the defense.

Now back to the discussion on the best defense ever. I was mightily impressed by Seattle. They played lights out and were completely dominant when it mattered most. For this year the saying holds true. "Defense wins championships"this

****ing morons in here

PointBreak85
02-03-2014, 03:59 AM

MVP

Manning received 49 votes from a national panel of 50 media members for the MVP award, beating out Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who received one vote.

The Broncos scored 606 points in 2013, breaking the record of 589 set by the New England Patriots in 2007.

Touchdowns

Denver's 76 touchdowns beat the previous record of 75, also held by the 2007 Patriots.

The Broncos' Four Horsemen - WRs Demaryius Thomas (14), Eric Decker (11), Wes Welker (10), and TE Julius Thomas (12) - all finished with at least 10 touchdowns in 2013, while RB Knowshon Moreno added 13 of his own to break this NFL record - by two players (previous record was three).

Passing first downs

The Broncos converted 293 first downs through the air in 2013, with a small handful coming from QB Brock Osweiler in backup work. The previous record was 280 set by the Saints in 2011.

Wins, owner

Pat Bowlen has 305 wins in his 30 years as the Broncos owner. He is the first owner in NFL History to win at least 300 games in his first 30 years of ownership.

Games with 50+ points

The Broncos had three such games in 2013, tying the NFL record that has remained untied since 1969.

Points in 2nd half

The Denver Broncos scored 318 points after halftime in 2013, beating their own record set in 2012 (299). The previous record was set in 1950 by the Rams in 12 games.

NFL Records - Player

Passing touchdowns

Peyton Manning finished with 55 TDs, shattering Tom Brady's record of 50 set in 2007.

Passing yards

Manning threw for 5,477 yards, one yard more than Drew Brees threw in 2011, the previous record. After some controversy, the NFL confirmed on January 1, 2014 that the record will stand.

Longest field goal

Matt Prater booted a 64-yard field goal in Week 14 to break the long-standing NFL record of longest field goal. That record was previously held by Jason Elam, among others.

Extra points

Matt Prater went 75-of-75 for the season, setting the records for most extra points, most extra points attempted, and most extra points without a miss, previously held by the Patriots' Stephen Gostkowski in 2007 (74-of-74).

Peyton Manning destroyed this record with nine such games this season. The previous record was six, set by Dan Marino in 1984 and tied by Manning in 2004.

Manning tied the record set by Dan Marino in 1984 with four 400-yard passing games this season.

Manning had 15 such games in 2013, tying the NFL record he set in 2004. Stretching back into 2012, Manning decimated the record for most consecutive 90+ passer rating games in the regular season with 23

8lol and this

canyoudigthat
02-03-2014, 04:08 AM
Richard Sherman is the GOAT

PointBreak85
02-03-2014, 04:23 AM
Richard Sherman is the GOAT

Saw a broncos fan crying inside the bathroom stall of a buffalo wild wings burning his manning jersey ...lulz were had

canyoudigthat
02-03-2014, 04:43 AM
Saw a broncos fan crying inside the bathroom stall of a buffalo wild wings burning his manning jersey ...lulz were had lmao

Kv492
02-03-2014, 04:48 AM
The best of all time?
No
If they shut out their two playoff oppentnts, maybe.
They are in the top though, very fun defense to watch

PointBreak85
02-03-2014, 05:15 AM
We should all feel blessed

We saw the greatest defense of all time ..They shutdown the highest scoring offense in history

socrates07
02-03-2014, 05:21 AM
yah.... I'll take the 00 ravens with ray lewis and so sooo many others any day of the week

this seattle offense made that ravens offense with trent mofo'n dilfer look like peasents, that's the big difference

ZBlacktt
02-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Now being called best ever in a Super Bowl game.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-02-03/2014-super-bowl-seahawks-defense-best-ever-in-super-bowl-bronocs-peyton-manning-malcolm-smith-kam-chancellor-sherman

ShweezyBTFO
02-03-2014, 08:37 AM
yah.... I'll take the 00 ravens with ray lewis and so sooo many others any day of the week

this seattle offense made that ravens offense with trent mofo'n dilfer look like peasents, that's the big difference

Not to mention giving up 0 offensive TDs in the super bowl. Seahawks not only give up a TD but a 2 point conversion too? LMAO

SpiritFighter
02-03-2014, 08:38 AM
The fact that they are in this convo is what's awesome. You could make cases either way, but at the end of the day, they are in that group/convo.

AgRyan
02-03-2014, 08:44 AM
I don't think anyone would say the 2000 Giants had one of the best offenses ever.

Seattle curb stomped the best NFL offense in history to top off one of the best seasons a defense has ever had.

I think they're the best ever. But if you say the 2000 Ravens are better you have a valid point.

XterraRob
02-03-2014, 08:54 AM

Now back to the discussion on the best defense ever. I was mightily impressed by Seattle. They played lights out and were completely dominant when it mattered most. For this year the saying holds true. "Defense wins championships"

Those two plays are your highlights for Seattle's D?

Lets's look at:

- Bad snaps ALL game (one resulting in a safety)
- Overthrowing receivers (not caused by defensive touch and go and one led to an unintended catch by the Seahawks)
- Horrible play calling strategy (typical John Fox conservative bull****, relying on short passing game, stupid challenging an obvious call, punting instead of a FG)

And you want to say Seattle's D had a great game and caused all of those mistakes? Seattle still displayed themselves well but Denver kicked their own legs from under them.
-
-

Chairman7w
02-03-2014, 08:57 AM
http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/95/112351a35211f32441439ca8db72965f/l.jpg

Martin, White, Bruenig, Dutton, and Jones.

Fuark yeah Baby!!! Doomsday!!!!

Chairman7w
02-03-2014, 09:00 AM
I dunno man, they weren't so hot against SF.

If Kap hadn't gone full potato and gifted them three turnovers on their last 3 possessions, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

But Seattle brought it yesterday, can't deny that, gotta give 'em props for an awesome Superbowl performance. That's fair.

But greatest ever? No.

85 Bears.

kethnaab
02-03-2014, 09:06 AM

Lets's look at:

- Overthrowing receivers (not caused by defensive touch and go and one led to an unintended catch by the Seahawks)
- Horrible play calling strategy (typical John Fox conservative bull****, relying on short passing game, stupid challenging an obvious call, punting instead of a FG)

And you want to say Seattle's D had a great game and caused all of those mistakes? Seattle still displayed themselves well but Denver kicked their own legs from under them.
-
-

So you are going to try to deflect blame away from Peypey AND the Seahawks' defense at the same time? C'mon man, that's embarrassingly ridiculous. I thought that Peypey was like an offensive coordinator on the field and he could call his own plays?

"relying on the short passing game" = "keeping Peypey alive"

Seahawks were pressuring Manning all game long, and because he has concrete feet and chokes under pressure, they HAD to go with the short passing game. Guess what happens when you try to go long against Seattle? You throw interceptions...Seattle had more picks this season than any other team in the NFL and in fact generated turnovers in EVERY game this past season except for 1.

those fumbles and interceptions weren't a fluke. That's Seattle's game. They punted instead of kicking a field goal because Fox knows kicking a field goal in cold weather in New Jersey from 58 yards out (or whatever it was) is a lot different than kicking a field goal in the thin air of Denver.

the challenge was stupid but teams have people up in the booth monitoring those and watching the replays. It's fairly rare for a coach to challenge something like that without some guy up in the booth saying "challenge it!"

So i'm interested in how you wuold've called the game, playcalling-wise?

Go deep? Against who, Sherman, who was busy erasing Decker? Go to DeT? Who had a CB and a safety on him at almost all times if he went beyond 8 yards from the LoS? JuT? Who was blanketed by Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright most of the game?

and how long are you willing to wait before Peypey has to throw it? He has no mobility so he can't extend the play with his feet. He also gets happy feet under pressure and is easily rattled anytime he gets hit.

So what exactly are you going to do?

kethnaab
02-03-2014, 09:08 AM

Terry Bradshaw says 'hai'

ZBlacktt
02-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Not to mention giving up 0 offensive TDs in the super bowl. Seahawks not only give up a TD but a 2 point conversion too? LMAO

You seem to either want to ignore or over look the fact that this years Denver Broncos was the best ever NFL offense. I'd suggest you look up ALL the records they broke as I didn't list them all.

Was a HUGE fan back in those days. There was also the Steel Curtain back then.

TooOld4thisSHIT
02-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Goat?? Idk

Certainly arguably the best SB showing ever tho. This and the 00 ravens. Hhhnnngggg

ChalupaBatman
02-03-2014, 09:25 AM
1985 Bears 3 playoff games. 21-0 . NFC Championship game 24 -0. Superbowl 46 -10. 10 points in 3 games. This Seahawks has a great D but when ever anybody/ team is excellent people anoint them the GOAT. Next time there's a great D the fans of that team will be saying the same thing.

yup89
02-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Definitely cant disagree with the op but just throwing this out there

http://www.buccaneers.com/assets/images/imported/TB/2012/news/07/article/SuperBowl07_24_12_2_t.jpg

XterraRob
02-03-2014, 09:47 AM
So you are going to try to deflect blame away from Peypey AND the Seahawks' defense at the same time? C'mon man, that's embarrassingly ridiculous. I thought that Peypey was like an offensive coordinator on the field and he could call his own plays?

"relying on the short passing game" = "keeping Peypey alive"

Seahawks were pressuring Manning all game long, and because he has concrete feet and chokes under pressure, they HAD to go with the short passing game. Guess what happens when you try to go long against Seattle? You throw interceptions...Seattle had more picks this season than any other team in the NFL and in fact generated turnovers in EVERY game this past season except for 1.

those fumbles and interceptions weren't a fluke. That's Seattle's game. They punted instead of kicking a field goal because Fox knows kicking a field goal in cold weather in New Jersey from 58 yards out (or whatever it was) is a lot different than kicking a field goal in the thin air of Denver.

the challenge was stupid but teams have people up in the booth monitoring those and watching the replays. It's fairly rare for a coach to challenge something like that without some guy up in the booth saying "challenge it!"

So i'm interested in how you wuold've called the game, playcalling-wise?

Go deep? Against who, Sherman, who was busy erasing Decker? Go to DeT? Who had a CB and a safety on him at almost all times if he went beyond 8 yards from the LoS? JuT? Who was blanketed by Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright most of the game?

and how long are you willing to wait before Peypey has to throw it? He has no mobility so he can't extend the play with his feet. He also gets happy feet under pressure and is easily rattled anytime he gets hit.

So what exactly are you going to do?

You have to be aggressive when push comes to shove and if you have to go deep against a notoriously difficult secondary then that's what you need to do. Those picks were off an over throw and botched throw but there were a few close calls.

Manning was not accurate at all and the secondary had little to do with those wild throws. It was a little nerve racking the few times we did go to the air because he couldnt.make it happen.

The botched snaps were a horrible issue to deal with as well.

Aside from Manning and the center, Fox is still the head coach and no QB runs the field. Fox wanted that game under tight control and not take chances. Historically, that is how he plays. And yes I would of risked a field goal because Prater is a reliable kicker. Anything to boost moral.

Blax0r
02-03-2014, 09:59 AM
My 2 cents:

-The 2000 Ravens and 2013 Seahawks defenses throughout the season are not comparable due to the major rules changes in the early-mid 2000's.

-As a result of point #1, the 2000 Ravens defense is statistically far superior to the 2013 Seahawks defense.

2000 Ravens regular season:
-165 points allowed
-3967 yards allowed
-49 TOs
-4.3 yds per play

2000 Ravens Postseason
-837 yards allowed
-23 points allowed (7 of these points are from the SB kickoff return...)
-12 TOs
-Over 4 games

2013 Seahawks regular season:
-231 points allowed'
-4378 yards allowed
-39 TOs
-4.4 yds per play

2013 Seahawks Postseason
-1023 yards allowed
-40 points allowed
-8 TOs
-Over 3 games

-However, it's worth reiterating that the two eras are NOT comparable (unfortunately). We'll never know how well the Seahawks would've done in 2000, or if an in-prime Ray Lewis-led Ravens would've overshadowed the Legion of Boom.

-I think it's fair to say the Legion of Boom is unequivocally in the same tier as the other historically great defenses.

-Also, this Ravens fan (born in Baltimore Country, attended college in Baltimore, went to several Ravens games) does believe the Seahawks single-game SB performance may stand as the best ever because of the blend of rules changes, opposition's offensive strength, and collective team performance.

-But, I reject the claim that the 2013 Seahawks (the entire body of work; not just a single game sample) is the greatest defense of all time.

Sources:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2013.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2000.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2000/opp.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/opp.htm

Vitamin0
02-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Winning the Superbowl isn't enough for Seahawks fans.. They want their defense to be named the GOAT. LMFAO pls go Ralph.

MCrow
02-03-2014, 10:11 AM
I'd probably go 2002 tampa, 85 bears, 2006 Ravens, 69 & 70 Vikings and 78 Steelers were better.

This Seahawks defense is dominant by today's standards but not compared to some of the historically great defenses.

Blax0r
02-03-2014, 10:12 AM
look who the ravens played that year

the only halfway decent QB they faced was a way past his prime, 1 year out from retirement troy aikman

The remark about their opposing QB strength is a subjective assessment brah. And if you intend to analyze strength of opposing offenses, you must include opposing rbs (in-prime eddie george, corey dillon, the BUS...), especially in that era.

That said, the best qb they faced was probably Rich Gannon...

PointBreak85
02-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Definitely cant disagree with the op but just throwing this out there

http://www.buccaneers.com/assets/images/imported/TB/2012/news/07/article/SuperBowl07_24_12_2_t.jpgGruden knew the raiders playbook and the raiders coach for some reason changed the game plan the Friday of the super bowl. So they do not bdeserve being mentioned as the greatest imo

DA_MOSS
02-03-2014, 10:22 AM
2012 Saints have to be up there

CurryTech777
02-03-2014, 10:23 AM
2012 Saints have to be up there

wat

PointBreak85
02-03-2014, 10:23 AM
I'd probably go 2002 tampa, 85 bears, 2006 Ravens, 69 & 70 Vikings and 78 Steelers were better.

This Seahawks defense is dominant by today's standards but not compared to some of the historically great defenses.not sure if serious . The defenses back then could do whatever against the wrs....not today. What Seattle did to this juggernit offense with the rules heavily favoring the offense makes them the greatest period.

MCrow
02-03-2014, 10:27 AM
not sure if serious . The defenses back then could do whatever against the wrs....not today. What Seattle did to this juggernit offense with the rules heavily favoring the offense makes them the greatest period.

Hard to compare teams from one era to the next, but I'd put this Seahawks top 2-3 in the last 15 years (the very beginning of the passing era)

Jayfence
02-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Ravens fan here who was at the game yesterday and pulling for the Hawks to win. It was great to see those cocky broncos fans not open their mouths once after the game started.

ZBlacktt
02-03-2014, 11:03 AM
The look of the greatest offense and greatest QB in the history of the NFL gets punched in the mouth, lol. ( Peyton - I think I'm going to be sick )

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2014/02/03/Production/Daily/Sports/Images/04053172-1583.jpg

thegenerel
02-03-2014, 11:35 AM
"guys this is true but dont make me provide evidence"

everything is relative, and no post free agency defense will ever compare to a pre free agency defense. its practically impossible to assemble that much talent.

Darkhare
02-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Cold weather
Playoffs
Peyton Manning

/ thread

It wasn't cold... pey pey was being hailed as the GOAT and was shutdown like a bish.

I dn't see how anyone can argue with the seahawks D, they dominated that game all day long. turnovers, scoring points... DAMN

MajesticLion
02-03-2014, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't go that far. Prime Ravens and 49rs defenses were pretty untouchable. The Seahawks need another year or two of dominance to make their argument to be in that group.

canuck604
02-03-2014, 03:01 PM
omg you imbicile

The point is that IN TODAYS NFL 2014 WHERE THE RULES FAVOR OFFENSES9(READ THE FCKNG MANUAL)...ESPECIALLY WRS , when a defense shuts you down....ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR THE GREATEST OFFENSE IN RECORDED HISTORY YOU ARE THE BEST DEFENSE EVER.

Back then defense could push WRs, shove them, hold them at the LOS ....NOT TODAY

Not very bright are you...

Do you think perhaps the reason why this years Denver offense is the "greatest of all time" is a result of these rules that favour them?

So did the Seahawks REALLY beat the best offence of all time?

Again, not taking anything away from them. They played very well.

leakypipe23
02-03-2014, 03:05 PM
The most interesting thing I've read is from Sherman on MMQB. He said LOB knew what plays were coming and they were calling them out. They figured out what the hot route hand signals were, and started jumping routes.

Tough to say if they are the best given different eras, but they are in the conversation.

SighGR
02-03-2014, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't go that far. Prime Ravens and 49rs defenses were pretty untouchable. The Seahawks need another year or two of dominance to make their argument to be in that group.
The salary cap will make that impossible

backintheda
02-03-2014, 03:31 PM

Lets's look at:

-
-

I dunno man, they weren't so hot against SF.

If Kap hadn't gone full potato and gifted them three turnovers on their last 3 possessions, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

But Seattle brought it yesterday, can't deny that, gotta give 'em props for an awesome Superbowl performance. That's fair.

But greatest ever? No.

85 Bears.

Yes, if it was done differently blah blah blah. But it wasn't. It unfolded the way it did, the Seahawks took home the Championship and the other two teams did not.

tsbalr120
02-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Considering how the rules are handicapping defenses this day and age, I agree with OP.

They would be way more brutal if they played in the same age as the 85 bears

PointBreak85
02-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Not very bright are you...

Do you think perhaps the reason why this years Denver offense is the "greatest of all time" is a result of these rules that favour them?

So did the Seahawks REALLY beat the best offence of all time?

Again, not taking anything away from them. They played very well.do you know what i typed? wtf

MEGAMANLET
02-03-2014, 04:45 PM
I dont think we can hail them as the GOAT yet... ravens, bucs, bears, steelers, even eagles have had historic D's that dominated over the course of a season. this is one of the more dominant SB performances for sure. another year or two of continued excellence then yes this is the best D unit ever... and comprised mainly of players who'd been written off by other teams... SMH

Chairman7w
02-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Well, I guess that's that.

GOAT Defense? Sorry, OP - but these stat say otherwise. But hey - you guys got a ring, right? Who gives a sh&% where you think their D ranks, or what anybody else thinks. Enjoy your Championship phaggot.

My 2 cents:

-The 2000 Ravens and 2013 Seahawks defenses throughout the season are not comparable due to the major rules changes in the early-mid 2000's.

-As a result of point #1, the 2000 Ravens defense is statistically far superior to the 2013 Seahawks defense.

2000 Ravens regular season:
-165 points allowed
-3967 yards allowed
-49 TOs
-4.3 yds per play

2000 Ravens Postseason
-837 yards allowed
-23 points allowed (7 of these points are from the SB kickoff return...)
-12 TOs
-Over 4 games

2013 Seahawks regular season:
-231 points allowed'
-4378 yards allowed
-39 TOs
-4.4 yds per play

2013 Seahawks Postseason
-1023 yards allowed
-40 points allowed
-8 TOs
-Over 3 games

kethnaab
02-03-2014, 06:26 PM

GOAT Defense? Sorry, OP - but these stat say otherwise. But hey - you guys got a ring, right? Who gives a sh&% where you think their D ranks, or what anybody else thinks. Enjoy your Championship phaggot.

wow, talk about a salty customer...

Hengman
02-03-2014, 07:00 PM
People forget to mention 2000 Titans who were one of the best, if not the best, defenses ever.

Guy above me posted and proved it. If the Ravens didn't beat them, the Titans would actually have won that SB with ease.

People are forgetting the Steelers also. They had a time where they had nothing but veterans on the team and they were very good defensively. Were they better than 2013's Seahawks? Nah, but they deserve a mention.

Buccaneers were really good too.

JaxBrah
02-03-2014, 07:39 PM
You cant be serious op. 2000 ravens hold the record for fewest points allowed in a season by far. Their offense didnt even score a td in like 8 straigjt games and they still won.

There no one on the seahawks in the same realm as Ray Lewis or Rod Woodson. Not to mention siragusa, adams, and mccrary.

JaxBrah
02-03-2014, 07:42 PM
not sure if serious . The defenses back then could do whatever against the wrs....not today. What Seattle did to this juggernit offense with the rules heavily favoring the offense makes them the greatest period.

So becuase seattle had a great game makes them the best defense ever? They arent even top 15 ever. Yesterday was more of awful preperation by john fox than it was seattle being the goat defense. Lets not forget yoy played the goat choke artist...

iamgenus
02-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Probably the best defense for this era of football.

I OuTsiDeR I
02-03-2014, 08:41 PM
look who the ravens played that year

the only halfway decent QB they faced was a way past his prime, 1 year out from retirement troy aikmanDid you see their offense?

Did you know that the offense didn't score in 5 games that year, and they still won 2 of them. In their first 6 games they posted 3 shutouts. In the playoffs in 4 games they only allowed 23 pts, thats playing an extra game than Seahawks. Didn't allow an offensive TD in Superbowl.

If you want to say they had the best defensive performance in a Super Bowl (considering Denvers offense) then you have a very solid case. Overall body of work is complete different story.

Everybody wants to say Ravens never faced a quarterback of Mannings caliber, when his entire career he is known for choking in the playoffs, and not playing well in cold weather.

D-1Gladiator74
02-03-2014, 11:44 PM

GOAT Defense? Sorry, OP - but these stat say otherwise. But hey - you guys got a ring, right? Who gives a sh&% where you think their D ranks, or what anybody else thinks. Enjoy your Championship phaggot.49ers fan confirmed

D-1Gladiator74
02-03-2014, 11:47 PM
http://prod.images.seahawks.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/SEAHAWKS/assets/images/imported/SEA/photos/clubimages/2014/02-February/tempRM2_7848--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

/thread

momason
02-03-2014, 11:58 PM
1974 Steelers followed by the 1986 Giants then the 2002 Buccs

HelloDurr
02-04-2014, 12:01 AM

MVP

Touchdowns

Passing first downs

Wins, owner

Games with 50+ points

Points in 2nd half

NFL Records - Player

Passing touchdowns

Passing yards

Longest field goal

Extra points

PRICELESS

Fixed for you.

CurryTech777
02-04-2014, 12:37 AM
http://prod.images.seahawks.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/SEAHAWKS/assets/images/imported/SEA/photos/clubimages/2014/02-February/tempRM2_7848--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

/thread

manlets

when will they learn?

adelgad562
02-04-2014, 12:47 AM
As long as the Giners didnt win... feelsgoodbrah.jpg

I OuTsiDeR I
02-04-2014, 12:59 AM
yeah i'm aware of all of that.

im speaking in general. the seahawks play in an era where offence is extremely favored, and still shut down nearly everybody plus held the greatest offence ever to 8 points

the ravens played in an era where it was defence > everything, the only real qb they played was rich gannon, in the playoffs. in the regular season the best they played was an old troy aikman. i dont have any doubt that seattle would have been easily the GOAT defence if they had the same rules as the ravens did in 2000, or that the ravens would have hardly won 10 games if they had the same team toady.

but its hard to compare teams that played in 2 different eras. if theres one thing ill give to the 2000 ravens, they had easily the best run defence of any team in history. shut down some amazing hall of fame running backs that yearI can agree hard to compare different eras. Seahawks D is tough, no doubt about that. It's just when I look at the opposite side of the ball and Seahawks are much more talented than Ravens were. Not scoring an offensive TD for 5 games straight is pretty bad. D had to be on the field a lot, and still only gave up 10 pts a game.

Seahawks holding the top scoring offense to 8 pts was definitely impressive. Probably the best defense in a single game that I have seen, taking everything into consideration. Overall body of work isn't all that great but again different era's.

The_Standard
02-04-2014, 01:40 AM
http://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/r620-e17b7777fcc273d84d9e16c74818175f.jpg

TheCore84
02-04-2014, 02:13 AM
85 bears....

This. Only lost one game that season. Annihilated New England in the Super Bowl and shut out the giants and rams in the playoffs. Not only best defense but best team in history.

ThrowinWeight
02-04-2014, 05:15 AM
Give me the 2006 Ravens. Nobody talks about them but they were crazy good.

FingerNailsBrah
02-04-2014, 05:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4SYm3jN.jpg

NorrinRadd12
02-04-2014, 05:50 AM
2002 Bucs are starting their own wing in the hall of fame.

Thai_Clinch
02-04-2014, 06:33 AM
1999 bucs/2002 bucs/2000 Ravens/1985 bears. it will be hard to ever match those defenses again. all can be argued as the best defenses ever.

seattle isnt in that realm the least bit. (good defense though)

BEASTMODE420
02-04-2014, 06:53 AM
I dont think we can hail them as the GOAT yet... ravens, bucs, bears, steelers, even eagles have had historic D's that dominated over the course of a season. this is one of the more dominant SB performances for sure. another year or two of continued excellence then yes this is the best D unit ever... and comprised mainly of players who'd been written off by other teams... SMH

I have to agree with MEGAMANLET. Are they in the discussion right now? Yea, are they the undisputed best D of all time? No. Not yet.. Give me two more years like the past 2 and I think they'd have everyone convinced that we're witnessing the best D ever assembled.

lsiberian
02-04-2014, 07:13 AM
They certainly looked the part Sunday, but the real question is are they a one hit wonder.

BEASTMODE420
02-04-2014, 07:22 AM
They certainly looked the part Sunday, but the real question is are they a one hit wonder.

I don't think one hit wonder is fair to say considering they were a top 5 D in almost every category last year too. You could speculate a 2 hit wonder but I don't see any sort of monster drop off next year.

lsiberian
02-04-2014, 07:39 AM
I don't think one hit wonder is fair to say considering they were a top 5 D in almost every category last year too. You could speculate a 2 hit wonder but I don't see any sort of monster drop off next year.

The OP claims them to be the GOAT all-time defense. Well they were really the best Defense last year(PPG at 15) , but I'm talking about rings not defensive ranking. Do they go on to get 3 rings like they are capable or do injuries and free agency break up the team.

The Steelers got 3 super bowls appearances and 2 rings with their defense last decade which to me is greater than defenses like the Ravens or Bears who only got one ring even though they certainly continued to be great. I think sustained success is the hallmark of a greatness. One ring doesn't make you the GOAT of anything IMO. If you get another one you've proved sustained success. To me the Steel Curtain with 4 rings is the ultimate defense because they kept doing it.

BEASTMODE420
02-04-2014, 07:44 AM
The OP claims them to be the GOAT all-time defense. Well they were really the best Defense last year(PPG at 15) , but I'm talking about rings not defensive ranking. Do they go on to get 3 rings like they are capable or do injuries and free agency break up the team.

The Steelers got 3 super bowls appearances and 2 rings with their defense last decade which to me is greater than defenses like the Ravens or Bears who only got one ring even though they certainly continued to be great. I think sustained success is the hallmark of a greatness. One ring doesn't make you the GOAT of anything IMO. If you get another one you've proved sustained success. To me the Steel Curtain with 4 rings is the ultimate defense because they kept doing it.

I agree sustained success is the hallmark of a greatness. If it results in championships, now we've got a dynasty.

Honestly, I'm just stoked we finally got one.

mrsnruB1111
02-04-2014, 08:04 AM
I'm a steelers fan, and obviously I would say the steel curtain of the 70s was the best

One argument the Seahawks have going for it as greatest D is that the rules are so bitchy these days they've practically outlawed defense. Because of pussies, Peyton Manning specifically, who cried to the league re: 'roughing the passer' and 'pass interference', modern defenses are almost completely toothless. Peyton's so called record breaking season should have a huge asterisk beside it saying "*secondaries had to wait for players to catch the ball before even looking in their direction for fear of getting a penalty". The fact that the Legion of Boom is so successful DESPITE these hindrances is amazing. They are a vigorous, hard hitting defense....which I like and want for my Steelers (our secondary has been hurting lately)....and it struck me during the NFC title game 'oh man, they are so clean it hurts'

mrsnruB1111
02-04-2014, 08:09 AM

Not only the rings....but even seasons where they didn't get one, but still had success in the face of adversity show their greatness. 1976 the team started 1-4 and lost Terry Bradshaw for the season. Jack Lambert (my favourite all time player) huddled the Defense and said that, essentially, the season rested with them and they needed to shut down everybody. They went on to win 9 straight for a final record of 10-4. In that 9 game winning streak after Lambert's call to arms the Steelers allowed 28 pts. 28 ****ing pts. In total

http://throwbacksnw.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Lambert1.jpg

PointBreak85
02-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Probably the best defense for this era of football.exactly

motivat3d
02-04-2014, 03:51 PM

Lets's look at:

-
-

Barely saw this reply.

You can't be serious at all. "Two plays are your highlights"

The post I responded to mentioned that none of those turnovers were created by Seattle but to respond to you anyway.

Those turnovers were a major part of the game. They killed any momentum that Denver was trying to put together. To make it seem like they weren't significant is crazy.

Bad snaps; I may be able to agree with that one since the first play was a bad snap.

Overthrowing the ball? Well Peyton Manning was sure out of his comfort zone. Moving more than he had to all season. If these things aren't the result of the defense. Some of us need to go back and learn football basics.

smokeater
02-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Cold weather
Playoffs
Peyton Manning

/ thread

Cold weather? It was 50 degrees lol

ShweezyBTFO
02-05-2014, 12:24 AM
I agree sustained success is the hallmark of a greatness. If it results in championships, now we've got a dynasty.

Honestly, I'm just stoked we finally got one.

lol what a phaggot