PDA

View Full Version : Explanation of Bane-Like Masks at Gym

meschc4
01-31-2014, 02:50 PM
I was just wondering if someone knew what these were used for. I saw a guy wearing one while he was running and it made me laugh, lol. Is there some purpose to these?

x-ray vision
01-31-2014, 02:53 PM
Do you even Google (or post in the correct forum)?

www.google.com/#q=Bane+mask+gym

Arcos27
01-31-2014, 04:30 PM
I was just wondering if someone knew what these were used for. I saw a guy wearing one while he was running and it made me laugh, lol. Is there some purpose to these?

Elevation training.

It simulates you training in a high altitude.

MikeWines
01-31-2014, 06:03 PM
Elevation training.

It simulates you training in a high altitude.

Yep, this guy knows...

jmariano
01-31-2014, 06:08 PM
It's a wearable, public display of your PhD in broscience. Usually accompanied with doing cardio inbetween sets.

meschc4
01-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Thank you for the responses, I was just curious because I have been seeing more and more people wearing these at the gym.

Do you even Google (or post in the correct forum)?

www.google.com/#q=Bane+mask+gym

Not quite sure what made you so belligerent that you felt the need to neg me to oblivion but whatever it was just a simple question.

health4life24
01-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Misc ---------->

x-ray vision
01-31-2014, 07:13 PM
Thank you for the responses, I was just curious because I have been seeing more and more people wearing these at the gym.

Not quite sure what made you so belligerent that you felt the need to neg me to oblivion but whatever it was just a simple question.
I never negged you, nimrod.

Former300lber
01-31-2014, 07:44 PM

Your green, what are you talking about? ;)

Take the replies you receive with a grain of salt, everyone is a tough guy over the web, your question wasn't unreasonable, just perhaps in the wrong sub-forum, you got your answer tho, and now you know :)

rhadam
01-31-2014, 07:48 PM
It's a wearable, public display of your PhD in broscience. Usually accompanied with doing cardio inbetween sets.

It's not broscience at all. I gave you a free pass on the juicing nonsense you typed out, but i can't let this one slide.

x-ray vision
02-01-2014, 08:22 AM
http://ericwongmma.com/mma-altitude-training-devices-legit-or-hype/

http://ericwongmma.com/mma-altitude-training-device-review/

Claims such as the mask “mimics the effects of high-altitude training” are not correct, either. The effects of real altitude training are far more complex than those of restricted air flow. Low partial pressure of oxygen at high altitudes makes it difficult to get oxygen from the air in one’s lungs into one’s blood. The mask makes it difficult to get air into the lungs, but not to get oxygen from that air into the blood. This is a considerable difference.
http://tomkurz.wordpress.com/2013/02/15/training-mask-truth-and-hype/

PhD:
To chime in from the standpoint of a respiratory physiologist... 1) The training mask does not and cannot simulate altitude, only living at altitude or living in an environmental chamber can do this. Hence why no olympic athletes rely on the training mask and why they live in Colorado Springs. 2) The training mask is a form of resistive exercise for the respiratory muscles. Thus, it will increase the endurance of the accessory musculature (scalenes, intercostals, abdominals, SCM) and therefore allow an athlete to maintain a higher respiratory frequency for a longer period of time. This is certainly beneficial and should be how the training mask is marketed. Just because you restrict breathing does not cause a drop in arterial Po2. There are benefits from using such a mask, but they all result from increased respiratory muscle endurance. The training mask will not and cannot increase, a) hematocrit, b) hemoglobin concentration or c) blood volume, all principal adaptations found with chronic altitude exposure. In addition, all of the stuff written about about nasal breathing at rest, mouth breathing during sleep is pure crap. We are primarily mouth breathers, particularly as exercise intensity rises above that of a fast walk. To breath through the nose confers absolutely no benefit, except a slight increase in filtration. Breathing through the nose is impossible during high intensity exercise, just watch ANY athlete in competition, none of them are breathing through their nose. In addition, many athletes alter their breathing patterns, but they do so to put themselves on a better portion of the pulmonary compliance curve, i.e. to make the work of breathing LESS. The training mask works by making the work of breathing greater and thus automatically shifts the way someone breathes. However, take the mask off and you automatically follow the path of least resistance and that means you will adopt a pattern of breathing that minimizes the work of breathing. Why? Because an increased work of breathing will shift a greater percentage of cardiac output to the respiratory musculature and AWAY from the exercising musculature. This will cause premature fatigue in the exercising musculature, somewhat offsetting the effect of the mask on respiratory muscle endurance. Thus, TM is ok for increasing respiratory muscle endurance, but it will cause premature skeletal muscle fatigue and absolutely WILL NOT simulate altitude or confer any of the benefits of living at or training at altitude. Oh, and I have a Ph.D. and did two prestigious post-doctoral fellowships at Kansas State Univ and UT-Southwestern with some of the pre-eminent respiratory physiologists in the world...

- The mask claims to simulate high altitude breathing. High altitude makes our body make more red blood cells and more oxygen-carrying proteins. That way, you can get the normal physiologic amount of oxygen to your organs despite lower oxygen. This effect occurs over weeks (hence "live high, compete low") and will adjust back within a week or so when you move back to a lower altitude environment. So this claim by the TM that it can in any way simulate this is completely false.

- Dbag PR guys copies and pastes a lot of irrelevant stuff, that pretty much sums up the TM as a COPD mask, not an altitude mask. It makes breathing harder, strengthening muscles of respiration, but costing your exercising muscles the oxygen. Breathing well is breathing as efficiently as possible, using a proportionately lower amount of oxygen carrying blood to allow it to be shunted into those skeletal muscles with the highest energy usage. So the mask does strengthen your breathing muscles, but it makes your other muscles more tired, more quickly.
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2048707/Hillary-vs-Training-Mask/?page=1

What the masks do is make it hard to breathe, not change red blood cells, or any of the physiological adaptations the body undergoes when at elevation. Basically when you put on a mask it’s about the same as putting a bag over your head, all you are doing is decrease the ease of which you can breathe.

Further research shows to truly achieve a marked level of change in respiratory strength you would need much more resistance than any commercial mask offers today. So basically there is no benefit to you, and the masks in no way simulate training at elevation.

Bottom line, take off the mask! It makes you look stupid! It’s not badass it’s just stupid. It doesn’t make you a better athlete. It doesn’t make you hardcore. It is the newest in the ever-growing line of snake oil products geared at an industry where hard work is often shortcutted for the next magic bullet.
http://dirtinyourskirt.com/musings/stop-wearing-the-mask-it-just-makes-you-look-stupid/