PDA

View Full Version : How much protein can body absorb each hour?

TheNobodyThere
01-26-2014, 05:27 AM
I heard that body can absorb only about 15-25grams of protein each hour. I know that meats are digested for several hours so that shouldn't be a issue, but what about whey protein or cottage cheese. Both are digested very quickly. Does it mean that a lot of my protein will get wasted when I drink few whey shakes or a few cottage cheeses? I know people here like to keep things simple, but I think it is a bit more complicated.

accounts
01-26-2014, 05:29 AM
I heard that body can absorb only about 15-25grams of protein each hour. I know that meats are digested for several hours so that shouldn't be a issue, but what about whey protein or cottage cheese. Both are digested very quickly. Does it mean that a lot of my protein will get wasted when I drink few whey shakes or a few cottage cheeses? I know people here like to keep things simple, but I think it is a bit more complicated.

Count all your macros. It doesn't matter if they are all in the same hour, they still count.

TheNobodyThere
01-26-2014, 05:36 AM
Count all your macros. It doesn't matter if they are all in the same hour, they still count.

any sources or just bro science?

accounts
01-26-2014, 05:42 AM
any sources or just bro science?

Yours first that protein absorption is limited by a man made unit of time, the hour.

TheNobodyThere
01-26-2014, 05:45 AM
Yours first that protein absorption is limited by a man made unit of time, the hour.

lol, I asked a question, you gave me bro like answer that has no valid background, so please provide me with sources or just don't answer.

Velenox
01-26-2014, 05:50 AM
lol, I asked a question, you gave me bro like answer that has no valid background, so please provide me with sources or just don't answer.

Doesent work like that, otherwise none of us would be here. Think your ancestors killed a wooly mammoth after weeks of starving and thought to themselves "better stop eating now gonna waste or my broteinz"

Calories/macros over the day/week (However you're tracking) is what gets you results. You can eat all your protein in one meal if you want. Want sources? Do your own research.

TheNobodyThere
01-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Doesent work like that, otherwise none of us would be here. Think your ancestors killed a wooly mammoth after weeks of starving and thought to themselves "better stop eating now gonna waste or my broteinz"

Calories/macros over the day/week (However you're tracking) is what gets you results. You can eat all your protein in one meal if you want. Want sources? Do your own research.

Meat takes a long time to digest, so you are very likely using majority if not all protein contained in meat. I won't be so sure about dairy products, they usually take less than hour to digest.

x-ray vision
01-26-2014, 06:10 AM
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

Velenox
01-26-2014, 06:16 AM
Meat takes a long time to digest, so you are very likely using majority if not all protein contained in meat. I won't be so sure about dairy products, they usually take less than hour to digest.

What the actual hell are you talking about? My head is imploding trying to comprehend.

James199117
01-26-2014, 06:17 AM
eat a balanced diet dude. i never go higher than 40g per meal, usually a couple hours between meals. call it what you want but I'm shredded.

Tyler31622
01-26-2014, 08:02 AM
eat a balanced diet dude. i never go higher than 40g per meal, usually a couple hours between meals. call it what you want but I'm shredded.

I'm shredded also, and I eat 100g's of protein a day, and it's usually in 1 meal, Go figure.

InItForFitness
01-26-2014, 08:36 AM
As has been stated multiple times throughout this thread, your body is going to utilize whatever nutrients you provide it with, regardless of the quantity you provide them in "x" amount of time.

It is still digesting nutrients from previous meals/days, so whatever you're absorbing now is not being utilized within the hour regardless, it really doesn't matter.

Over time you will digest and use the calories/nutrients you consume.