PDA

View Full Version : Calorie deficit gaining!?

JRT91
01-25-2014, 04:48 AM
I need some help pinpointing where I am going wrong, maybe someone more experienced than myself can give some advice.

i am 5 foot 8, 165 lbs 17.6% body fat and am currently trying to cut.
ive used many calculators and even went to see a dietician to workout my bmr and tdee: 1760 and around 2500 (lowest reading being 2400 and highest at 2850)
i eat the same things everyday so my current daily macros are
1894 kcal
191.19 protein
62.18 fat
108.85 carbs.

I go to the gym 6 days a week doing a push/pull/legs split repeated, also do cardio at the end of every session rotating between HIIT on the treadmill and steady state on a bike.
Ive only recently stared weighing myself once a week, was judging progress on how i felt and looked in the mirror but with my autism it helps me stay on track when i have numbers to work with.
I did lose a pound a week, but then it stopped so i cut out oatmeal, which was the only thing in my diet not necessary to hit my protein requirements.
The past few weeks in particular though not only have I not lost weight but have put on just over 2lbs.
where am i going wrong? any help will be greatly appreciated

Broscientist88
01-25-2014, 05:12 AM
Hey pal, my guess would be your gaining muscle/water retention, while simultaneously loosing fat. Would I be correct in thinking your new to the gym scene?
Its becomes very easy to over analyse everything, especially the scales.

My advice is to forget the scales for a while and focus on how you feel and how your looking in the mirror.

Also at your weight ( not to be offending, im in the same boat ), I really don't think you should be in a calorie deficit. Maybe focus on gaining some size for a year and see how you end up?

JRT91
01-25-2014, 05:20 AM
thanks for the reply.
im not new to the gym, however I first joined solely to lose weight as i was quite pudgy so this is my first time sticking to one weights routine for an extended period

the reason im cutting is because i don't look like you, im skinny fat which makes me really self conscious so I am hoping to cut bodyfat% before i think about bulking, ive been told i need to reache around 13% to start to see definition in my torso so thats the current goal

batman12
01-25-2014, 05:30 AM
thanks for the reply.
im not new to the gym, however I first joined solely to lose weight as i was quite pudgy so this is my first time sticking to one weights routine for an extended period

the reason im cutting is because i don't look like you, im skinny fat which makes me really self conscious so I am hoping to cut bodyfat% before i think about bulking, ive been told i need to reache around 13% to start to see definition in my torso so thats the current goal

As said before, you are probably gaining muscle while losing fat. Since you are new to a weightlifting routine, you are enjoying a nice, new surge of testosterone. Your body is also being shocked right now and is trying to quickly adapt to the new program. Losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously is possible in this stage. Trust me, do everything you can to enjoy it while it lasts.