PDA

View Full Version : Ask the ripped dude!

okokgo
01-24-2014, 01:53 PM
So I was reading an article on bodybuilding.com called "What are the top fat-burning foods". This site doesn't let me post the article's link due to me not having 50 posts posted, but you can search for it yourself.

Type in a search bar:

Ask the ripped dude! What are your top fat burning foods

If you type that, it will be the first link; it's on the bodybuilding.com site.

This is very interesting due to the foods mentioned:
1. Oatmeal
2. Chicken breast
3. Egg whites
4. Fish Oil
5. Asparagus
6. Almonds
7. Garlic
8. Tomatoes
9. Apples

One thing that stood out to me was that they included garlic & apples. Garlic due to just due to surprise and apples due to the sugar.

I was wondering: What do you guys think about this list?

InItForFitness
01-24-2014, 01:56 PM
The list sounds idiotic and based on horrible dietary strategies.

You'd be best off composing a rational diet, consisting of foods you enjoy, that assist you in meeting daily dietary requirements and does not exclude individual foods/groups for no reason.

WonderPug
01-24-2014, 01:57 PM
I'm shocked that anyone would fall for such obvious nonsense as "fat burning food".

snorkelman
01-24-2014, 01:57 PM
no food burns fat. Well, maybe some of those freaking hot spicy peppers, which somehow eluded the list

beastlymandude
01-24-2014, 01:58 PM
I think that's an absurd and ridiculous claim. Do you actually believe that article? There is no such thing as a "fat-burning food." A slight caloric deficit and a proper strength routine are what burns fat.

okokgo
01-24-2014, 01:59 PM
no food burns fat. Well, maybe some of those freaking hot spicy peppers, which somehow elluded the list

What foods do you, as well as others, recommend? I'm 128lb, 5'5", male. I'm trying to build muscle with minimal fat gain. Also, what food do you recommend in general?

snorkelman
01-24-2014, 02:00 PM
What foods do you, as well as others, recommend?

It is best to concentrate on calculating the number of calories you should be eating per day, as well as the number of grams of protein and number of grams of fat that you should eat per day. While doing that, try to dominate your caloric intake with unprocessed or minimally processed foods, as this will increase satiety, fiber intake, and micronutrient (vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals & zoonutrients) content.

Have you calculated the appropriate daily caloric intake for your goal? If yes, what # have you arrived at? What is the macronutrient composition of those calories and your TDEE (maintenance intake)?

okokgo
01-24-2014, 02:01 PM
I think that's an absurd and ridiculous claim. Do you actually believe that article? There is no such thing as a "fat-burning food." A slight caloric deficit and a proper strength routine are what burns fat.

I don't think they "burn fat" alone. I believed that w/ proper knowledge, and smart exercise, they can AID in the help of fat loss. Those foods alone, of course not.

Murdok1741
01-24-2014, 02:01 PM
What foods do you, as well as others, recommend? I'm 128lb, 5'5", male. I'm trying to build muscle with minimal fat gain. Also, what food do you recommend in general?

At your size, I'd recommend eating food, in general.

DAaaMan64
01-24-2014, 02:04 PM

A variety of foods (meeting micro-nutrients) that fits your macro-nutrients. Please read the sticky thread:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

okokgo
01-24-2014, 02:09 PM
It is best to concentrate on calculating the number of calories you should be eating per day, as well as the number of grams of protein and number of grams of fat that you should eat per day. While doing that, try to dominate your caloric intake with unprocessed or minimally processed foods, as this will increase satiety, fiber intake, and micronutrient (vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals & zoonutrients) content.

Have you calculated the appropriate daily caloric intake for your goal? If yes, what # have you arrived at? What is the macronutrient composition of those calories and your TDEE (maintenance intake)?

Yes, I have.

I'm suppose to consume 2462 calories a day to maintain the same weight. Macros: 308 carbs, 185 protein, and 55 fat. So far, this is what my day looks like today.

I worked out from 6am-8am

Post-workout ON whey shake
Oatmeal (1/3 cup) + tsp chia seeds + 1.2oz of almonds + 2 cups of water to make it.
-oatmeal: cal 160, fat 3, sat fat .5, carb 27, detary fi 4, soluble fi 2g, insoluble fi 2, protein 6,
-chia: cal 70, fat 5g, carb 1, diet fiber 6g, protein 3g
-almonds: cal 210, fat 16, sat fat 1g, carb 9, fiber 4, pro 9

Chicken: cal 110, total fat 1, sat fat .8, protein 26

Apple: cal 80, carb 22, fiber 4, sugar 16

fish oil (2 soft gel)
-cal 15 total fat 1.5 g , polyunsat fat 1 , ... (1290 mg)

I been trying to keep track of my days.

snorkelman
01-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Yes, I have.

I'm suppose to consume 2462 calories a day to maintain the same weight. Macros: 308 carbs, 185 protein, and 55 fat. So far, this is what my day looks like today.

I worked out from 6am-8am

Post-workout ON whey shake
Oatmeal (1/3 cup) + tsp chia seeds + 1.2oz of almonds + 2 cups of water to make it.
-oatmeal: cal 160, fat 3, sat fat .5, carb 27, detary fi 4, soluble fi 2g, insoluble fi 2, protein 6,
-chia: cal 70, fat 5g, carb 1, diet fiber 6g, protein 3g
-almonds: cal 210, fat 16, sat fat 1g, carb 9, fiber 4, pro 9

Chicken: cal 110, total fat 1, sat fat .8, protein 26

Apple: cal 80, carb 22, fiber 4, sugar 16

fish oil (2 soft gel)
-cal 15 total fat 1.5 g , polyunsat fat 1 , ... (1290 mg)

I been trying to keep track of my days.

Man, I would be starving. I assume you are having a huge dinner - hopefully with ample servings of veggies.

okokgo
01-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Man, I would be starving. I assume you are having a huge dinner - hopefully with ample servings of veggies.

I'm not starving at all, it's 2:12p, so far. And I plan on having broccoli, chicken breast or turkey, brown rice, with asparagus. Then, taking my casein before bed. I'm sorry, I lack a lot of health knowledge. And, well, I get my help here.

snorkelman
01-24-2014, 02:17 PM
I'm not starving at all, it's 2:12p, so far. And I plan on having broccoli, chicken breast or turkey, brown rice, with asparagus. Then, taking my casein before bed. I'm sorry, I lack a lot of health knowledge. And, well, I get my help here.

Are you sure that you are correctly calculating the calories, because unless those are pretty large portions, I just don't see how you are getting 2462 calories in a day.

okokgo
01-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Are you sure that you are correctly calculating the calories, because unless those are pretty large portions, I just don't see how you are getting 2462 calories in a day.

Well, those calculations are TO MAINTAIN my weight. I have all my info body weight, body fat %, etc.. and I followed a formula of a previous post where I asked on this site.

snorkelman
01-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Well, those calculations are TO MAINTAIN my weight.

Sorry, I missed that....but that makes it even worse! Since you are so light, your goal is muscle gain, right? So, you need to eat in a surplus!

Listen, if you are under-eating, you will never put on mass; no matter what food you eat.

okokgo
01-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Sorry, I missed that....but that makes it even worse! Since you are so light, your goal is muscle gain, right? So, you need to eat in a surplus!

Listen, if you are under-eating, you will never put on mass; no matter what food you eat.

Alright, so I'll eat more. Thank you.

What if I want to gain, muscle, and have abs. I don't want to become bodybuilder huge; I want to be muscular looking, if that makes sense :/

AlwaysTryin
01-24-2014, 03:34 PM
The troll making another thread

You are all being trolled

okokgo
01-24-2014, 05:08 PM
The troll making another thread

You are all being trolled

I'm asking questions because I lack knowledge. I'm new to this. If I'm a troll, then why take your precious time to reply? After all, your time is valuable. Isn't it?

AlwaysTryin
01-24-2014, 06:55 PM
I'm asking questions because I lack knowledge. I'm new to this. If I'm a troll, then why take your precious time to reply? After all, your time is valuable. Isn't it?

It takes me 5 seconds to reply to save others many many many minutes of theirs

keramon02
01-24-2014, 07:05 PM
no food burns fat. Well, maybe some of those freaking hot spicy peppers, which somehow eluded the list

The only fat those things will burn is the fat in your stomach lining...I've been places man, I've been places.

ErikTheElectric
01-24-2014, 09:59 PM
lol. people still take the bb.com articles seriously..

okokgo
01-24-2014, 10:08 PM
It takes me 5 seconds to reply to save others many many many minutes of theirs

Well, enjoy your time replying.

okokgo
01-24-2014, 10:09 PM
lol. people still take the bb.com articles seriously..

I'm new to the nutrition thing, so I'm very gullible. Just trying to get some knowledge & learn from others that have experience.

ErikTheElectric
01-24-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm new to the nutrition thing, so I'm very gullible. Just trying to get some knowledge & learn from others that have experience.Pro Tip: Go by the stickies, not out-dated bb.com articles.

okokgo
01-25-2014, 01:59 AM
Pro Tip: Go by the stickies, not out-dated bb.com articles.

To be honest, I didn't even see the date on the article. You have a point! Thank you.

opul3nt
01-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Actually....

If you do a lemon cleanse and top it off with a shake made with acai berries, quinoa, and free-range, grass-fed, hormone-free bull**** roots you will burn off fat without even exercising , it's crazy. Easiest way to get to single digits bf.

ErikTheElectric
01-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Actually....

If you do a lemon cleanse and top it off with a shake made with acai berries, quinoa, and free-range, grass-fed, hormone-free bull**** roots you will burn off fat without even exercising , it's crazy. Easiest way to get to single digits bf.uWot?

opul3nt
01-25-2014, 12:11 PM
uWot?

Notsrs