PDA

View Full Version : What do you take when you're sick? Fever/chills/ect

Neogaffer
01-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Normally I would always take ibuprofen /Tylenol when I was coming down with a fever, but I heard its bad for muscle growth as it kills protein synthesis? What do you fellow lifters take when coming down with a fever?

FishySteak
01-16-2014, 11:17 PM
Don't overthink stuff. Take the medicine if it helps your fever. I personally don't take anything, but that's because I never take anything when I'm sick. I'm usually better by the next day. One time, after lifting in the morning, I ended up with a fever somehow. Slept it off that night, and the next day was better.

soon2beshredded
01-17-2014, 12:11 AM
I rarely get sick. Probably once every ~3 years.
When I do though I sleep a chit load. That's all I need. And water.
All these pills did nothing for me when I tried them when I got sick when I was younger.

Gaz201389
01-17-2014, 02:09 AM
Normally I would always take ibuprofen /Tylenol when I was coming down with a fever, but I heard its bad for muscle growth as it kills protein synthesis? What do you fellow lifters take when coming down with a fever?

anything rich in micronutrients.
aswell as i try sweat it out, chill powder/ turmeric / ginger / garlic.. anything hot which makes me sweat.
chili powder in ur lemsip

ps. i don't think ibprofen /tylenol is bad for muscle growth. what's bad is being out of action because you're ill imho.

Luckytruck6
01-17-2014, 09:23 PM
I catch a cold every couple years or so, I like Traditional Medicinal Gypsy cold care tea and cold care tea PM. Pretty much like taking dayquil/nyquil.

Lvisaa2
01-17-2014, 09:33 PM

You'll lose more gains by prolonging your sickness than by worrying about taking some medicine. Theoretically, the anti-inflammatory properties could hinder the inflammatory response to training, but the real world effect of that over a few days in non-existent. I wouldn't pop aspirin like it's candy, but a few days will have no effect.

Jen0va
01-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Source Naturals makes a great product called Wellness Formula. It's one of the only herbal supplements that I advocate for its repeated effectiveness in prevention and speeding the recovery of illness. This is, of course, anecdotal and people respond differently to different things.

colesprouse
01-17-2014, 11:01 PM
I usually rest and drink plenty of fluids. Mostly the medication isn't needed. I call the doctor if the fever is accompanied by a severe headache, stiff neck, shortness of breath, or other unusual signs or symptoms.

xHiroko
01-17-2014, 11:23 PM
I keep taking my supplements such as Multivitamin and Omega-3.
Also I try to maintain my TDEE and drink lots of water so my body will fight the ill better and faster.

ErikTheElectric
01-17-2014, 11:35 PM
I would be more concerned about getting over my sickness than worrying about 1-2 days of "killed protein synthesis"..lol