PDA

View Full Version : Having a hard time eating more than 2500 calories for noob bulk?

birdwalkr2
01-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Hey guys been working on and off since Oct 2012 and I've been doing a lot of research on bulking/cutting etc. I'm on a bulk now but I have a really hard time eating more than 2500 calories without just resorting to finding something fatty. I've been tracking my calories and such lately and some days I eat close to 3000 and others more like 2100 and it averages out to about 2500-2600 a week. I also seem to get about 100-130G of Protein? I've toned up a lot more lately. It's not like im super skinny or anything either at 175 pounds. So is this alright? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

MrBillson
01-13-2014, 09:29 AM
What's wrong with eating fatty food to get calories?

Also I wouldn't go any lower on the protein side.

beastlymandude
01-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Hey guys been working on and off since Oct 2012 and I've been doing a lot of research on bulking/cutting etc. I'm on a bulk now but I have a really hard time eating more than 2500 calories without just resorting to finding something fatty. I've been tracking my calories and such lately and some days I eat close to 3000 and others more like 2100 and it averages out to about 2500-2600 a week. I also seem to get about 100-130G of Protein? I've toned up a lot more lately. It's not like im super skinny or anything either at 175 pounds. So is this alright? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Why can't you eat fatty foods? Eating them will make bulking easier because they're generally low-volume foods. What is your fat intake at?

- Protein should be 0.8g/lb of bodyweight (even 0.6g/lb will suffice).
- Fats should be at least 0.4-0.5g/lb of bodyweight.
- The rest of your calories can come from whatever combination of macronutrients you like.

birdwalkr2
01-13-2014, 09:41 AM
What's wrong with eating fatty food to get calories?

Also I wouldn't go any lower on the protein side.

Why can't you eat fatty foods? Eating them will make bulking easier because they're generally low-volume foods. What is your fat intake at?

- Protein should be 0.8g/lb of bodyweight (even 0.6g/lb will suffice).
- Fats should be at least 0.4-0.5g/lb of bodyweight.
- The rest of your calories can come from whatever combination of macronutrients you like.

Isn't eating a lot of fatty stuff like fast food and candy etc. counterproductive? So for example if I'm at 2000 calories and eat 1000 calories worth of fast food that's alright?

MrBillson
01-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Isn't eating a lot of fatty stuff like fast food and candy etc. counterproductive? So for example if I'm at 2000 calories and eat 1000 calories worth of fast food that's alright?

As long as you're getting all of your macro/micro nutrient requirements and staying within your calorie allowance you can eat pretty much what you want (assuming you are capable of utilising common sense and moderation, a rare quality these days).

Fat is an essential nutrient and you should consume a minimum of 0.4g/lb of bodyweight.

barbecueyeah
01-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Wow this is a first... Time for some tears: To be honest, I have a very hard time getting calories and so far I feel like I've been the only one having a hard time. I see people claiming it's no problem, they're all like "just eat more!" but man, I just can't consume very much food before I'm full. Like, I saw someone in a thread and this dude's like "it's easy, I just eat 4 cup oats a day (1 cup x 3)" and I just feel like, no way I can do that. I can't eat 1 cup oats in one meal.

As you can see, I'm not really suited to give out advice but I'll say that I saw someone yesterday that got quite a nice boost of calories by eating a buncha protein bars. One bar, 60g, was 230 calories, 20g protein, 22g carbs (16g sugar), 6.7g (3.8g saturated) fat and these things are like candy so I could easily consume 2-3 in one go. So, let me hijack the thread for a bit and ask if this is good to eat? Kinda worried about the 16g sugar since I got no clue how good/bad that is.

kronchev
01-13-2014, 11:04 AM

Two things

1) The problem with candy is not fat, it's sugar. Always avoid sugar whenever possible.
2) That situation is extremely difficult to attain and there are other problems with fast food (see above). Eating fried chicken to achieve intake goals, as I understand it, isn't a bad thing because while it has calories, it's also dead animal and fat which is what you're trying to attain.

Also how are you taking powder? Taking it with whole milk is a great way to get more fat and protein. Personally I also have a really hard time hitting your same number without being tempted to resort to something bad like a ****load of pasta (carbs aren't the devil but I try to regulate them, that might just be my preference however), but powder + milk is a huge, great dose.

Gxp23
01-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Two things

1) The problem with candy is not fat, it's sugar. Always avoid sugar whenever possible.
2) That situation is extremely difficult to attain and there are other problems with fast food (see above). Eating fried chicken to achieve intake goals, as I understand it, isn't a bad thing because while it has calories, it's also dead animal and fat which is what you're trying to attain.

Also how are you taking powder? Taking it with whole milk is a great way to get more fat and protein. Personally I also have a really hard time hitting your same number without being tempted to resort to something bad like a ****load of pasta (carbs aren't the devil but I try to regulate them, that might just be my preference however), but powder + milk is a huge, great dose.
Why avoid sugar?

MrBillson
01-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Two things

This is, of course, completely unnecessary. (see the bold)

Stomwin
01-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Blend and Drink this bro

http://oi44.tinypic.com/295ve37.jpg

Big.Jazayrli
01-13-2014, 11:17 AM

No, calorie sources are irrelevant.

Though you'll find over time that if you don't get enough fiber in your diet that it has a negative effect on digestion/your GI tract.

kronchev
01-13-2014, 11:19 AM
This is, of course, completely unnecessary. (see the bold)

(Ok looks like I can't figure out how to multiquote)

I have always been told that sugar should be avoided because of the way it's processed. No, I don't have the medical background or the memory to get more detailed. I'm sorry if I cargoculted that fact but to me, it makes more sense to just say "try to not have any sugar"

I would say that personally I don't feel great if I start taking in a lot of sugar and I especially feel the difference during a workout. I'm not trying to say "if you eat sugar you will literally die," but again, I've always been told to avoid it especially while bulking.

Gxp23
01-13-2014, 11:23 AM

I have always been told that sugar should be avoided because of the way it's processed. No, I don't have the medical background or the memory to get more detailed. I'm sorry if I cargoculted that fact but to me, it makes more sense to just say "try to not have any sugar"

I would say that personally I don't feel great if I start taking in a lot of sugar and I especially feel the difference during a workout. I'm not trying to say "if you eat sugar you will literally die," but again, I've always been told to avoid it especially while bulking.

You dont have to avoid it, its perfectly fine. Unless ofc you are diabetic or something.

MrBillson
01-13-2014, 11:25 AM

There is no reason to avoid sugar. If you feel uncomfortable with it, then there is. But that's true for everything. Telling the OP they should avoid sugar whenever possible is simply wrong.

To multi-quote, click the icon immediately next to the 'reply' button. You'll see part of it goes green. All of the ones with the green bit will be quoted when you eventually click reply on the last comment you wish to quote.

bradandblake
01-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Fruits and nuts, all day long. That's just me though.

kenny85
01-13-2014, 12:45 PM
fats are your friend