PDA

View Full Version : What foods to eat on no carb days? Carb Cycling.

RoseBulls
01-09-2014, 01:39 PM
I've run out of ideas for what to eat on no carb days.

Literally all I have is:

Protein Shake
Eggs + Tuna
Chicken Breast + Broccolli
Chicken Slices (packet)

Any help please?

WonderPug
01-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Firstly, stop with the silly carb cycling.

Next, unless you don't care about your health, start consuming a rational diet.

Lastly, read the relevant stickies at the top of the nutrition forum to begin learning the basics about nutrition.

MrBillson
01-09-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm gonna bet there's no need for you to be carb cycling.

DavidUnderhand
01-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Wonderpug and MrBillson are almost definitely correct. On the off chance you don't listen to them, eat whatever you enjoy without carbs, any kind of meat will suffice. But seriously ... don't carb cycle.

PBateman2
01-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Steak and eggs.

ncballa1011
01-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Steak and eggs.

And bacon and peanut butter and chicken wings with a no carb hot sauce salad with ranch and feta cheese soooooo many things

RoseBulls
01-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Really? Most people attribute their low bf% to employing carb cycling. But okay, I won't then. I don't do it now, just looking for more effective ways of lowering bf%. My diet's pretty good except for my carb sources are mainly from bread (inb4 doesn't matter all that matters is calories in vs calories out - i know).

MrBillson
01-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Really? Most people attribute their low bf% to employing carb cycling. But okay, I won't then. I don't do it now, just looking for more effective ways of lowering bf%. My diet's pretty good except for my carb sources are mainly from bread (inb4 doesn't matter all that matters is calories in vs calories out - i know).

If you know that then why are bothered about eating bread?

WonderPug
01-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Really? Most people attribute their low bf% to employing carb cycling. Achieving low body fat is a function of persistent chronic energy restriction.

RoseBulls
01-10-2014, 11:37 AM
If you know that then why are bothered about eating bread?

Well... Who knows. So much broscience out there it's hard to tell what's legit and to listen to and what to ignore. Chill out though, I'm just a rookie. You look like you know your stuff (no homo) so why not try be a positive help?

MrBillson
01-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Well... Who knows. So much broscience out there it's hard to tell what's legit and to listen to and what to ignore. Chill out though, I'm just a rookie. You look like you know your stuff (no homo) so why not try be a positive help?

Utilise Occam's Razor when deciding if information is legit or not.

If it's over complicated and highly restrictive, it's probably wrong.

The best place to start getting a grasp of decent info is the sticky posts on this forum.

alex070707
01-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Firstly, stop with the silly carb cycling.

Next, unless you don't care about your health, start consuming a rational diet.

Lastly, read the relevant stickies at the top of the nutrition forum to begin learning the basics about nutrition.

Firstly, I am very interested to know why it woks so damn well for everybody I ve recommended it to if it's silly.
Second, you gave him no advice here whatsoever.
Lastly, what if he did?
Ontopic: PB, beef, olives, olive oil, almonds, cashews, nuts in general, eggs, chicken, light mayo, cheese, yellow cheese are the first examples I can think of.

MrBillson
01-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Firstly, I am very interested to know why it woks so damn well for everybody I ve recommended it to if it's silly.
Second, you gave him no advice here whatsoever.
Lastly, what if he did?
Ontopic: PB, beef, olives, olive oil, almonds, cashews, nuts in general, eggs, chicken, light mayo, cheese, yellow cheese are the first examples I can think of.

The people you recommended it to made progress due to chronic energy balance and sufficient nutrient intake. Not cycling their CHO intake.

He did give advice: drop the cycling plan and put a sensible diet together using the info in the stickies.

And what if he did what? Read the stickies? If he'd done that he probably wouldn't have posted this thread.

alex070707
01-11-2014, 02:04 PM
The people you recommended it to made progress due to chronic energy balance and sufficient nutrient intake. Not cycling their CHO intake.

He did give advice: drop the cycling plan and put a sensible diet together using the info in the stickies.

And what if he did what? Read the stickies? If he'd done that he probably wouldn't have posted this thread.
You people are amazingly narrow minded.....

DavidUnderhand
01-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Pretty sure they're quite knowledgeable and kind enough to share that concise expertise with lazy people who don't research for themselves. That wasn't the definition of narrow minded last time I checked.

InItForFitness
01-11-2014, 03:06 PM
You people are amazingly INFORMED.....

Fixed that for you.

Sorry we refuse to give into idiotic fad dieting techniques that have no real backing.

robchap
01-11-2014, 03:45 PM
low carb days are OK but I'd stay away from no carb days, you need to eat some fruits, veggies and complex carbs as part of a healthy diet.

MrBillson
01-11-2014, 03:51 PM
You people are amazingly narrow minded.....

Please explain the scientific reasoning behind carb cycling.

If it is sound then I will happily retract my statement.

SoreGunz
01-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Please explain the scientific reasoning behind carb cycling.

If it is sound then I will happily retract my statement.

Carb cycling is only for advanced bodybuilders who are close to 10%bf wanting to get to 5-6% without losing muscle. i know this forum doesnt like all these carb cycling, calorie cycling diets and believe you should just eat a deficit, and its true, its great for begginers so its not complicated and thats what i think you guys are preaching.

The reason behind it is simple, when you eat very low carb for 3-5 days it will deplete glycogen from the muscle and body gets very sensitive to insulin, so when you eat starchy carbs it will overcompensate the muscle with glycogen and water to make them fuller and rounder, most of the sugar will go to the muscle because they have been starved, before you say protein also cause an insulin release, yes thats true but the insulin is different than eating a high carb diet, also the body cannot store protein, its not an efficient energy source.
I dont recommend it for the average joe, i do a calorie cycling myself but thats a different topic.

I dont want to hear about science this science that, I have tried it on my body and it works better than a straight deficit, so dont throw bunch of studies at my face.

DavidUnderhand
01-11-2014, 06:16 PM
These guys have been at it for a while, they're throwing experience at your face. Note they haven't cited a study in this thread...

MrBillson
01-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Carb cycling is only for advanced bodybuilders who are close to 10%bf wanting to get to 5-6% without losing muscle. i know this forum doesnt like all these carb cycling, calorie cycling diets and believe you should just eat a deficit, and its true, its great for begginers so its not complicated and thats what i think you guys are preaching.

The reason behind it is simple, when you eat very low carb for 3-5 days it will deplete glycogen from the muscle and body gets very sensitive to insulin, so when you eat starchy carbs it will overcompensate the muscle with glycogen and water to make them fuller and rounder, most of the sugar will go to the muscle because they have been starved, before you say protein also cause an insulin release, yes thats true but the insulin is different than eating a high carb diet, also the body cannot store protein, its not an efficient energy source.
I dont recommend it for the average joe, i do a calorie cycling myself but thats a different topic.

I dont want to hear about science this science that, I have tried it on my body and it works better than a straight deficit, so dont throw bunch of studies at my face.

I'm actually just off to bed as it's 2.30am where I am.

I will come back and highlight the numerous problems with this tomorrow.

SoreGunz
01-11-2014, 06:48 PM
I'm actually just off to bed as it's 2.30am where I am.

I will come back and highlight the numerous problems with this tomorrow.

Good. Come back because it doesnt really matter to me. I tried it and it worked better than a deficit, im not telling anyone to do it, just what works for my body.

accounts
01-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Carb cycling is only for advanced bodybuilders who are close to 10%bf wanting to get to 5-6% without losing muscle.....

Pics please.

Bubbarossa
01-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Read the keto section...my bet is there are some stickies that could help you with some low-carb ideas.

EyesoftheMaker
01-11-2014, 07:38 PM
The question is a silly one. If you're familiar with carb cycling, you're familiar what carbohydrates are. Eat foods that do not contain them.

Unfortunately, you won't likely get much advice on an eating plan that defies the conventional wisdom within this forum. A shame really. Unless you consider 'stop your silliness/idiotic fad diet' advice

SoreGunz
01-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Pics please.

Pics of what? me? I have a pic when i was ripped, but thats from last year, now i have gained 25lb and not as lean but much bigger, i try not to post my pics on the net , but i can if you want to fap to it, i also have a few pic when i was a fat fuk.

alex070707
01-12-2014, 04:39 AM
"I dont want to hear about science this science that, I have tried it on my body and it works better than a straight deficit, so dont throw bunch of studies at my face."
I have tried it on other people too, it works for all of them. One guy gave you the benefits of carb cycling, so there is the science too.

MrBillson
01-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Good. Come back because it doesnt really matter to me. I tried it and it worked better than a deficit, im not telling anyone to do it, just what works for my body.

So are you saying that when carb cycling you were not in a calorie deficit?

My responses are bolded in the quote box below. I know this is a bit of a bump but I did say I'd respond so I am.

This means that carb cycling is most likely pointless for OP, and most people on this site. Which was actually the point I was making in the first place.

The reason behind it is simple, when you eat very low carb for 3-5 days it will deplete glycogen from the muscle and body gets very sensitive to insulin, so when you eat starchy carbs it will overcompensate the muscle with glycogen and water to make them fuller and rounder, most of the sugar will go to the muscle because they have been starved

Muscle holding glycogen/water =/= lean muscle mass. If you want to fill up wit water/glycogen then you don't need to follow a cycling protocol,

before you say protein also cause an insulin release, yes thats true but the insulin is different than eating a high carb diet

This is, of course, nonsense. It is the same insulin and does the same thing,

also the body cannot store protein, its not an efficient energy source.

Protein can be used for energy through a process called neoglucogenesis. Although it is difficult for amino acids to be stored as fat in comparison to CHO or fat, if you fill up your energy needs with protein it will just mean other nutrients/calories will lead to fat gains. Also this doesn't really have anything to do with carb cycling.

accounts
01-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Pics of what? me? I have a pic when i was ripped, but thats from last year, now i have gained 25lb and not as lean but much bigger, i try not to post my pics on the net , but i can if you want to fap to it, i also have a few pic when i was a fat fuk.

...waiting

SoreGunz
01-12-2014, 11:46 AM
So are you saying that when carb cycling you were not in a calorie deficit?

My responses are bolded in the quote box below. I know this is a bit of a bump but I did say I'd respond so I am.

Deficit on low carb and surplus on high carb.

MrBillson
01-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Deficit on low carb and surplus on high carb.

So a net deficit.

Care to respond to the rest of my post?

SoreGunz
01-12-2014, 11:51 AM
...waiting

Here you go, i just want to say i was doing 5X a week of cardio and abs. I was doing a calorie cycling, low cal off days and higher calories and carbs workout days.

WonderPug
01-12-2014, 11:56 AM
^^^ Crappy bathroom, great physique.

Correlation != causation.

MrBillson
01-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Here you go, i just want to say i was doing 5X a week of cardio and abs. I was doing a calorie cycling, low cal off days and higher calories and carbs workout days.

Still waiting on a response to my post.

SoreGunz
01-12-2014, 11:59 AM
So a net deficit.

Care to respond to the rest of my post?

IDK how to quote the response, so i just copy paste yours here with a quote.

"This means that carb cycling is most likely pointless for OP, and most people on this site. Which was actually the point I was making in the first place."

Yes it is, if you're a beginner or even intermediate.

"Muscle holding glycogen/water =/= lean muscle mass. If you want to fill up wit water/glycogen then you don't need to follow a cycling protocol"

Yes you do, you cant just eat high carb all the time, the body will not be as sensitive to carbs as if you were cycling.

"This is, of course, nonsense. It is the same insulin and does the same thing"
No its not, The insulin response from carbs are higher than protein.

"Protein can be used for energy through a process called neoglucogenesis. Although it is difficult for amino acids to be stored as fat in comparison to CHO or fat, if you fill up your energy needs with protein it will just mean other nutrients/calories will lead to fat gains. Also this doesn't really have anything to do with carb cycling."
Yes but thats a diff topic.

InfiniteForward
01-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Ground Beef
Chicken
Bison
Rabbit
Duck
Dairy Products

Options are endless! =)

accounts
01-12-2014, 12:37 PM
^^^ Crappy bathroom, great physique.

Correlation != causation.

At least it adds an ounce of validity to what he is saying. However as you said.

MrBillson
01-12-2014, 12:37 PM
IDK how to quote the response, so i just copy paste yours here with a quote.

"This means that carb cycling is most likely pointless for OP, and most people on this site. Which was actually the point I was making in the first place."

Yes it is, if you're a beginner or even intermediate.

"Muscle holding glycogen/water =/= lean muscle mass. If you want to fill up wit water/glycogen then you don't need to follow a cycling protocol"

Yes you do, you cant just eat high carb all the time, the body will not be as sensitive to carbs as if you were cycling.

But glycogen storage still doesn't equal increased muscle mass or decreased fat storage

"This is, of course, nonsense. It is the same insulin and does the same thing"
No its not, The insulin response from carbs are higher than protein.

Not in all cases. I have links to studies to back this up but you've asked me not to post links to studies so all I can do is say you're wrong. And it is still the same insulin doing the same stuff. Even so, insulin is not really a factor in body composition.

"Protein can be used for energy through a process called neoglucogenesis. Although it is difficult for amino acids to be stored as fat in comparison to CHO or fat, if you fill up your energy needs with protein it will just mean other nutrients/calories will lead to fat gains. Also this doesn't really have anything to do with carb cycling."
Yes but thats a diff topic.

You're the one who brought the topic up.

In order to quote a post, click the smaller reply button on the bottom right of the post rather than the one at the bottom left of the page.

alex070707
01-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Protein does trigger an insulin responce but it's nothing as noticable as the one from carbs.
Carb cycling's main point is playing around with the insulin sensitivity and insulin levels.
It works, stop being NARROW MINDED.
I dare say I am more informed and more experienced then you.
I never said OP needs to cycle, I said that it's stupid to assume that he will have no benefit from it.
Effective =/= optimal, this is the main problem with people's way of seeing things on this forum. The fact that simple things can and usually lead to amazing results doesn't mean that a certain level of perfectionism won't produce better results, reality proves the oposite.
I do however like the fact that so many people take nutrition as seriously as they do.
No offence to anybody.

InItForFitness
01-12-2014, 12:46 PM
I dare say I am more informed and more experienced then you.

I dare say LOL...no.

Effective =/= optimal, this is the main problem with people's way of seeing things on this forum. The fact that simple things can and usually lead to amazing results doesn't mean that a certain level of perfectionism won't produce better results, reality proves the oposite.

So you're claiming that carb cycling is optimal and will yield better results?

Pls respond

WonderPug
01-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Protein does trigger an insulin responce but it's nothing as noticable as the one from carbs.Not exactly.

Depending on the types of saccharides, the amino acid profile and the coingestion of dietary fat, protein can cause a smaller, an equal or a greater rise in blood insulin levels per calorie consumed.

MrBillson
01-12-2014, 12:49 PM
1 - Protein does trigger an insulin responce but it's nothing as noticable as the one from carbs.
2 - Carb cycling's main point is playing around with the insulin sensitivity and insulin levels.
3 - I dare say I am more informed and more experienced then you.
I never said OP needs to cycle, I said that it's stupid to assume that he will have no benefit from it.
I do however like the fact that so many people take nutrition as seriously as they do.
No offence to anybody.

1 - Again, this is not always true.
2 - Again, insulin is not a factor in body composition change.
3 - Examine what is said, not who speaks. If you are more informed and more experienced than me it should be easy for you to win this debate. The fact that you are resorting to telling me that you are more informed than me indicates that this is not the case.

Ripper908
01-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Swiss/mushroom omelets are my favourite no carb snack

Assuming mushrooms have no carbs lol

alex070707
01-13-2014, 03:05 PM
@InItForFitness, not always ofc but in a quite a handful of situations it is.
@Mrbillion, Insulin is one of more important things in bodybuilding.

MrBillson
01-13-2014, 03:20 PM
@InItForFitness, not always ofc but in a quite a handful of situations it is.
@Mrbillion, Insulin is one of more important things in bodybuilding.

No, it isn't.

See here (http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319) and here (http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/42)

oh, I'm sorry, am I still not supposed to link scientific research?

InItForFitness
01-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Insulin is one of more important things in bodybuilding.

Again. No.

WonderPug
01-13-2014, 03:35 PM
^^^ Guys, you realize you're arguing with a troll, right?

InItForFitness
01-13-2014, 03:49 PM
^^^ Guys, you realize you're arguing with a troll, right?

Yeah, but I'm bored, not really giving it my all, just killing time :p

WonderPug
01-13-2014, 03:50 PM
^^^ Makes sense.

How are you feeling?

InItForFitness
01-13-2014, 03:54 PM
^^^ Makes sense.

How are you feeling?

Much better, forgot to update in the X thread, but updated other chat thread in Misc. section.

Keeping down some solid foods and got a bit over a gallon of water in me now, not feeling as dehydrated and the majority of the symptoms have subsided.

Just taking it easy for the remainder of the night and hopefully be back at 100% tomorrow and ready to go.