PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol on Workout Days While cutting

DavidUnderhand
01-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Over time I've done a fair amount of reading on alcohol and its role in the body relating to a number of things (I say this only to make it clear I have a basic understanding of all this and I'm looking for a slightly more advanced/anecdotal answer). Is there anything worse about alcohol consumption on a workout day (say 8+/- hours after) than on a rest day? I used to get pretty drunk the night after every heavy deadlift session (once a week), and was consistently beating my training log while bulking. Now that I'm starting a little cut, I'm looking for some help before I try it out and see what happens. Assuming roughly 800 calories of liquor are being consumed, that leaves me with around 2100 of food, assuming I hit protein macros, what's wrong with this?

Cliffs:
Why not drink later in the day after a workout while CUTTING, assuming no strength loss occurs
I'd appreciate if the "you're an idiot, dont drink" comments could be kept to a minimum

CytoRoc
01-06-2014, 04:39 PM
you can have a few beers or shots, it wont kill you or mess up your workout. in all honesty, just stay hydrated and get good sleep.

brb drink 3x a week on weekends, and no strength loss or fat gain. like i said, just make sure you eat healthy, keep hydrated and you'll be fine. people put so much stress on alcohol and say its god awful, yet on their cheat meals they intake a very large amount of unhealthy calories.

if you're cutting, maybe just cut down on number of days you do go drink? i mean come on, like i said it wont ruin your routine unless all you do IS drink constantly and not take care of your macros

Flyin Ryan
01-06-2014, 04:39 PM
If you're going to enjoy a delicious adult beverage, simply fit it into your calorie intake for the day. This might mean eating a bit less, but its definitely doable. I lost a bit of weight whilst drinking a couple times a week. Some people may disagree but I can assure you it's all good.

DavidUnderhand
01-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Youre both right, I understand and completely agree, and in fact regularly drink (admittedly more than I should) and it doesn't seem to hinder my progress at all. I guess I should've asked the refined question: If I'm trying to maintain strength on (for example) bench, and I'm benching once a week, would having roughly 25 percent of my daily intake on the day that I bench come from alcohol be worse than that alcohol the day after considering that I'm eating at a deficit?

EfficientLiver
01-06-2014, 11:50 PM
Youre both right, I understand and completely agree, and in fact regularly drink (admittedly more than I should) and it doesn't seem to hinder my progress at all. I guess I should've asked the refined question: If I'm trying to maintain strength on (for example) bench, and I'm benching once a week, would having roughly 25 percent of my daily intake on the day that I bench come from alcohol be worse than that alcohol the day after considering that I'm eating at a deficit?

It probably won't make a difference. Do what works best for your schedule and you feel good doing.

If EVERYTHING ELSE were constant, and you are asking about strength retention of drinking on the night of the lift VS drinking on the night after, again, assuming ALL ELSE constant....I would say most likely not a NOTICEABLE difference between the two...now if other variables change...all bets are off.

loganhart
01-07-2014, 03:05 AM
I've had a glass or two of scotch almost everyday for years and have had no issues with cutting, bulking or strength.

Cheers.

WillEsteem
01-07-2014, 03:30 AM
your first post you said you would be drinking once a week, and in the second you're saying you drink more, which one is it?

Sagaro87
01-07-2014, 07:53 AM
I got drunk before going to the gym once, it was a bad time!